04-23-09, 11:34 PM   #1
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Search for mods on other sites?

would it be possible to have a option so that if one of your mods isnt on the site it will tell you where to go and get it?

Not download it for you (unless you had a module for that site) but provide you a link so you can go to that site and download it manually?
04-23-09, 11:44 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
would it be possible to have a option so that if one of your mods isnt on the site it will tell you where to go and get it?

Not download it for you (unless you had a module for that site) but provide you a link so you can go to that site and download it manually?
The only potential problem we may have there is that in order to get that information, we would have to be "scraping" the other sites, or some such. And we all know what a good idea that is .... not.

At the very least, we'd have to have permission from the other sites to be allowed to do that. If we can secure that permission, I'm still not sure what all would be involved in coding it into the program, and whether it is something that could possibly be coded into it after the main program is out, since we don't want to delay it any longer than absolutely necessary. Those are questions for Shirik to answer. I'll talk to him about it.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-24-09 at 12:12 AM.
04-24-09, 12:08 AM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Personally I don't see the benefit of that feature. WoWI cannot possibly know the locations of other addons unless they are manually entered somehow (perhaps by admins, etc.) and that's something that would be nearly impossible to maintain.

If someone were to make a module to support such a feature, I would instead respond with the question as to why they wouldn't just make it so that you can fully update the addon. That being said, it's certainly possible for a module to never offer to update something, and instead just direct the user to the website. I don't really feel that it's a good idea, though.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-24-09, 10:43 AM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What about if you perform a search and no results come up from WoWI, that you are presented with another option box(s). Something to the extent of a link that says "Search www.curse.com for xxxx addon" and clicking the link will bring you to the other hosting providers homepage or search page.

Doing it that way you wouldn't have to worry about scraping the other sites
04-24-09, 10:51 AM   #5
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

That's actually a nice idea... and it would help promote the other good UI sites. Maybe if both updaters (one from each site) did that for each other's site, it could be a mini-promotional thing for both sites, since most of us go to both sites all the time anyway.
04-24-09, 04:40 PM   #6
tinyu
A Molten Giant

both? i think you mean all three, WoWI, Curse AND WoWUI
04-24-09, 05:26 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I didn't forget about you.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-25-09, 01:10 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Maybe this could be a module along the lines of Fin's site. It's amazing how many people don't know about this great little site. Myself, I have it's RSS feed in my Live Bookmarks so I don't have to visit the main page itself to see what's new or updated.

An MMOUI Minion module could be coded to use Fin's RSS feed and or his search box. That's my two Eurocent's worth.
04-30-09, 12:36 PM   #9
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

Thumbs up

For what it's worth, my site should be compatible with Opensearch (http://www.opensearch.org/) - at least it was, when I added that (hopefully there haven't been too many changes in the Opensearch spec since then!). The description XML file is here:

- http://fin.instinct.org/wowmods/open...escription.xml

Alternatively, I was planning to add some sort of machine parseable format at some point in the future; if anyone had ever requested it, I might've already done so - it's pretty easy to do. If there were any requests with regard to this, I'd be happy to take them into account.

cheers, and kisses,

- Fin [currently ex-ex-ex-WoW (I got another job (this one's going much better), and moved again (last week!), but looking to re-restart his WoW addiction at some point in the near future (again (I have prepaid cards and everything!))!]
04-30-09, 01:00 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
/me tackles Fin with huggles

Glad to hear you found a job and are doing well!

/end offtopic
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-01-09, 01:28 AM   #11
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

Talking

/me <Bs Seerah

/really end offtopic
05-02-09, 08:26 PM   #12
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'd like to know if anyone actually IS interested in making a Curse/WoWUI module, and if Kaelten/Lothaer will allow it.
05-04-09, 10:22 PM   #13
Weirdoe
A Defias Bandit

There is one problem with wowi compared to curse.
There is a lack of some addons.
The search mentioned would be a huge plus and is a very nice idea.

Thx for the hint about the new client in curse's forums.
Prolly drive them nuts but me happy.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Search for mods on other sites?