04-24-09, 03:59 PM   #1
taco-man
A Fallenroot Satyr
Display Plugins?

I am very pleased about the fact that it will support plugins. Is there the possibility of some time after it exits beta to support plugins that simply display information. I think this is not too clear so i will just explain what i want to do.

I would like to make a plugin that allows me to see if there are updates available/news/ect and display them on my logitech g15 keyboard lcd display (and if i was really lucky use it to refresh updates ect). Is there any plans or possibility of the plugin architecture to be able to support something like this? I took a look at the javadocs real quick and it doesn't look like anything like this is currently possible.

Sorry if this is an odd request...im just strange
04-24-09, 04:03 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You, strange? Naaaahhhhh

*teases Taco*

Hey sweetie, how are you doing? Any chance we might get to bump into you at BlizzCon this year?

/hijack off
04-24-09, 05:51 PM   #3
taco-man
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
You, strange? Naaaahhhhh

*teases Taco*

Hey sweetie, how are you doing? Any chance we might get to bump into you at BlizzCon this year?

/hijack off
/hijack continue
I'm doing really good now actually. Ive pretty much recovered now and I'm back in school again. I will definately be at blizzcon this year and I will look forward to meeting up with everyone.
04-24-09, 05:57 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Really really glad to hear that. Was worried sick when Dolby told me. I'm glad you're well recovered. *big hug*
04-24-09, 10:28 PM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Let me check to see if I understand this clearly - you want to make a service that pulls information back from the core (instead of supplying information to the core) about what updates are available, etc.?

That should be fairly simple to add in if that's what you mean. I could provide some kind of service interface that allows you to get the information you need. For security reasons, though, it wouldn't be able to actually manipulate the updates at all; it would only be able to know the information about them.

How to link the G15 to the Logitech keyboard I can't help you with -- perhaps something like JNI can do this. Or maybe they have a Java API. I just wouldn't know. Just fill me in on how you plan to communicate between Java and the keyboard because I have to be sure the SecurityManager capabilities are installed as well.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-24-09, 11:47 PM   #6
taco-man
A Fallenroot Satyr
Normally its a c++ Dll but t here's a handy java wrapper library for the g15. I'll edit this post tomorrow with a link to it once I get home.

Edit: i will probably use this java library to access the screen and its buttons - http://code.google.com/p/j15/

Last edited by taco-man : 04-25-09 at 10:52 PM.
04-25-09, 12:30 AM   #7
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
If it's a C++ DLL then it's fairly trivial to wrap it with JNI, yes. I should warn you though that this will mean your module will become OS-dependent, though. Then again, I don't even know if the G-15 works on other OSes. I also don't know the consequences of trying to load a module that crashes due to the wrong OS. I probably can protect it somehow, I just don't know where the protection would need to be implemented right now.

I'll see if I can't whip together some work on that API. It should be fairly trivial.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-25-09, 08:29 PM   #8
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Can I ask what types of information you're looking for?

Things I can think of so far:

- Total number of Updatable objects tracked
- Total number of Updatable objects that have updates available
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-25-09, 10:59 PM   #9
taco-man
A Fallenroot Satyr
hmm... i didnt think about it too much since i wasn't expecting you to bother with it until you had more spare time especially since you have school as well.

I guess it would be nice to have also the last time it checked for updates.
If i was lucky a simple list of the name of what updates are available would be cool too.

Its hard to know exactly what i will want to see until i actually see/use the program, so i guess i will get back to you on that once the program comes out.
05-14-09, 01:49 PM   #10
Osamar
A Murloc Raider
Well, I am not a coder. But for work circumstances I have periods of time that I can not play WoW. So it could be nice to have an "historical" plug-in.
From last time I used MMOUI Minion, how many new addons are (if possible categorized), which ones are abandoned. Or for example if are some more new PITBULL units user made template, etc... The options are endless.

PD. Please excuse my english.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Display Plugins?