05-04-09, 01:30 PM   #1
Shadowgamer415
A Murloc Raider

Question about new updater

I have a quick question about the new updater. Will there be an option to just search for addons more generally than by name? Also, will there be a description of the addon readily available (ie, not having to follow 20 links to find out what it does)? There are sometimes i want a particular function or addon, but i have no idea what it is called. There are also times where i just want to go through a list of addons to see if theres anything i like.

From what i can see, the new updater will be very nice, a major improvement to curse's client, which has upset me for the last time (no offense to those of you that are curse fans). I liked WM, but that was shut down. I may not like it, but i do understand why and I respect WoWI's decision. I look forward to trying out the new updater.
05-04-09, 01:35 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Currently you can search by either addon name or author. Unfortunately I don't think we can search by description -- even if we can, it won't be in the beta -- because it will create a lot of stress on the server (that is a LOT to look through).

The search is actually real-time and will look almost as if there was no connection done to the server at all. The magic behind it is some prefetching I do to obtain the information by predicting what you're going to request and getting ready to feed it to you when it can.

Both the description and changelog are available when you search for addons.

If you want to do a more in-depth search, I would advise using the site itself as it would be better suited for such a situation.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-04-09, 01:43 PM   #3
Shadowgamer415
A Murloc Raider

thats fine, i wasnt necessarily looking for a way to search by description (my descriptions would probably be too vague anyway ). Basically what i was basing my question off of was when i used WM, they had a full list of addons and their descriptions. I went through them and found a few i liked, but had never heard of before. The mod Redeemer comes to mind I wanted something like that, but couldnt for the life of me find it because i had no idea what it was called until i just went through all the mods (I was sitting in my history class and was extremely bored ).

But i suppose i could just use the website for that and achieve the same thing, so its not a big deal.

Thanks for the quick response, and keep up the good work.

EDIT: also, what do we call this new updater, cause "new WoWI updater" is gonna get old really quickly :P. Is it called Minion? cause i see that popping up alot.
05-04-09, 01:49 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup, it is MMOUI Minion. Because it does what you tell it to do and takes care of all the work for you.
05-04-09, 01:53 PM   #5
Shadowgamer415
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Yup, it is MMOUI Minion. Because it does what you tell it to do and takes care of all the work for you.
sweet. the "does what i tell it to" part is about 65% of why i dont like curse anymore. The whole "hey lets put something on your computer without asking you first"...yea not cool.

Anyway, thanks again for the help, and keep up the good work. Cant wait to try out Minion.
05-04-09, 03:51 PM   #6
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

So, IIRC, the old files.wowace.com used to have tags that you could stick to your addons, not just a single "category" that they belonged under. Could this be implemented at some point on WoWI?

Then when I get sick of DoTTimer for my kitty druid, I just search for mods tagged "druid" and "combat" and then check out every mod that comes up.

Taking for granted a little author cooperation, this would be much better than actually searching full text descriptions, would it not?
05-04-09, 07:07 PM   #7
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
I agree that's a good idea that could be implemented in the future
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-06-09, 12:17 PM   #8
Shadowgamer415
A Murloc Raider

i do have another question (sry i have so many questions,i just wanna know whats ahead ).

Do you have any plans for those mods that arent on the WoW Interface website? There are a few that you guys dont have that i use (i think Morgbid 2 is the major one for me, as its absolutely required for my guild...or i dont get loot ).

If not, would that be a possibility?
05-06-09, 01:02 PM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Shadowgamer415 View Post
i do have another question (sry i have so many questions,i just wanna know whats ahead ).

Do you have any plans for those mods that arent on the WoW Interface website? There are a few that you guys dont have that i use (i think Morgbid 2 is the major one for me, as its absolutely required for my guild...or i dont get loot ).

If not, would that be a possibility?
Other sites can write modules that can hook into MMMOUI Minion (MM). Thus if MorgBid is hosted on Curse or WoWUI.Incgamers, they (Curse or WoWUI) can write a module that allows users to update mods from either site. "Out of the box" MM will only work with MMOUI (WoWI) sites, however with user installed modules, MM can be extended such updating to other Zam sites (WoWHead/Thottbot) or other fansites. Think of MM as the Firefox of updaters.

Last edited by Zyonin : 05-06-09 at 01:13 PM.
05-25-09, 05:35 PM   #10
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Shadowgamer415 View Post
I have a quick question about the new updater. Will there be an option to just search for addons more generally than by name? Also, will there be a description of the addon readily available (ie, not having to follow 20 links to find out what it does)? There are sometimes i want a particular function or addon, but i have no idea what it is called. There are also times where i just want to go through a list of addons to see if theres anything i like.

From what i can see, the new updater will be very nice, a major improvement to curse's client, which has upset me for the last time (no offense to those of you that are curse fans). I liked WM, but that was shut down. I may not like it, but i do understand why and I respect WoWI's decision. I look forward to trying out the new updater.
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Currently you can search by either addon name or author. Unfortunately I don't think we can search by description -- even if we can, it won't be in the beta -- because it will create a lot of stress on the server (that is a LOT to look through).

The search is actually real-time and will look almost as if there was no connection done to the server at all. The magic behind it is some prefetching I do to obtain the information by predicting what you're going to request and getting ready to feed it to you when it can.

Both the description and changelog are available when you search for addons.

If you want to do a more in-depth search, I would advise using the site itself as it would be better suited for such a situation.
Along these search lines, what would it entail for Minion to download a list of addons and authors names and then when a user searches, it does it locally? That way it would use less bandwidth over all and less stress to WoWI servers, especially when Blizz patches WoW.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Question about new updater