04-23-09, 02:19 PM   #41
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
Who left?

So far no one!

Keep in mind I haven't been keeping track until about six seconds ago.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
It is what it is. If we lose users to Curse because ours isn't ready, that's a shame, but we aren't going to change our stance that Shirik's real life is more important to us than our updater.
I seem to recall a time when Curse yanked the plug on WAU before the Curse Client is what it is now and they had the same type of people rambling on about what a terrible call it was. Those same people are probably now using the Curse Client and are just as happy (well...) as they were.

Judging by the sounds of how awesome the new updater will be I don't think it's going to matter if it takes another week or another four months to finish. A true member of a community will always return. (Think of all the times people have quit WoW swearing to never return that resubscribe when a new major patch is released.)
04-23-09, 02:21 PM   #42
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by septor View Post
So far no one!

Keep in mind I haven't been keeping track until about six seconds ago.
*chuckles*
04-29-09, 04:21 PM   #43
ryan odets
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Falter View Post
Every person that switches to Curse's client is going to be highly unlikely to return even after your updater is finished and that's bad for revenue (but good for bandwidth?!?). People are sheep and they are being herded to Curse and they will stay there until the grass is gone just like they did with WoWAce and now WoWMatrix. In the meantime, you might have pretty green pastures, but nobody's coming to graze. And it won't matter that Curse's grass is half astroturf.
Seeing as how curse just released the premium service today I think this quote is and should be reread. Honestly I think Curse knew WOWI's updater was months out and wanted to try and get as many people to "buy" the premium service. So they came up with a plan to get WOWI onboard and shut down WOWMATRIX. Call me what you want but honestly it seems fishy to me.

I allready did the right thing and upgraded my membership to premium for the WOWI once it comes out. Not a question there. I almost went and upgraded my curse client but then I said whoa..wtf? Its been two weeks and now the release version is ready? Oh come on you money hungry twats. I aint given squat to curse. Just a side note, last year my older brother had his account hacked. We traced the culprit to a hunter mod he dl from curse. Contacted them told them what we found, even showed them the virus scan and the online scan. Never heard a thing from them. About a week later the mod was gone and couldn't even find a deep link no where. Did they ever send a email saying sorry? NOPE.

Now I sent a pm to the owner here explaining my frustration in the cutoff move. Within the hour I received a pm back and even some information on how to make updating a bit easier. I was directed here when bc launched and I have always came here to find new mods when looking for something in particular. I will be coming back for a long time.
04-29-09, 05:02 PM   #44
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by ryan odets View Post
Seeing as how curse just released the premium service today I think this quote is and should be reread. Honestly I think Curse knew WOWI's updater was months out and wanted to try and get as many people to "buy" the premium service. So they came up with a plan to get WOWI onboard and shut down WOWMATRIX. Call me what you want but honestly it seems fishy to me.
I'd call it good business practice myself.

Originally Posted by ryan odets View Post
I allready did the right thing and upgraded my membership to premium for the WOWI once it comes out. Not a question there. I almost went and upgraded my curse client but then I said whoa..wtf? Its been two weeks and now the release version is ready? Oh come on you money hungry twats. I aint given squat to curse. Just a side note, last year my older brother had his account hacked. We traced the culprit to a hunter mod he dl from curse. Contacted them told them what we found, even showed them the virus scan and the online scan. Never heard a thing from them. About a week later the mod was gone and couldn't even find a deep link no where. Did they ever send a email saying sorry? NOPE.
You won't need a premium membership to get all the cool stuff the WoWI updater has. IIRC being a premium member allows you to not see ads. I'm sure additional things will be added for premium members only in the future.

Secondly, the premium version of the Curse Client has been the Curse Client all the time it's been being (?) rewritten. They just today threw the switch that made you need a premium membership to use the premium benefits.
04-29-09, 05:42 PM   #45
ryan odets
Premium Member
Originally Posted by septor View Post
I'd call it good business practice myself.
Very true but if that is what they did its very ****ed up. And if I was WOWI I wouldnt trust them again. IMO if they did this just to get money they are no better than wowmatrix....

Secondly, the premium version of the Curse Client has been the Curse Client all the time it's been being (?) rewritten. They just today threw the switch that made you need a premium membership to use the premium benefits.
I understand this. Refer to my above comments.
04-30-09, 07:43 AM   #46
Boedicia
A Fallenroot Satyr

Updater looks so nice!

This updater looks brilliant. I LOVE the layout and design of it and the fact that we can auto update all for free i'm overjoyed about, seeing as curse have now decided to leech off people to just update all, and thats a huge pain if people use alot of mods like me. So infact, i believe that little stunt they made will result in their popularity going down and WoWI's popularity rising. (Although i've always favoured WoWI over Curse) WoWI have such a better layout, and as someone mentioned before, its more "user friendly". Just can't wait for the updater to arrive. WoWI ftw!
04-30-09, 01:16 PM   #47
Penguar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Landrell View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Curse Client. I've been using it for a while now and it does the trick for the moment. There are some mods that I use that CC does not have, so I come here to manually update the ones that need it.

However, once the WoWI Updater is available, I will move to that one since I prefer the layout here over curse; it's much more user friendly. Though the WoWI updater is still currently under development, the person in charge is hard at work to getting it where it needs to be. Patience is a virtue with this one.

I hope you find what you're looking for here and then some my friend!
What is wrong with the curse client now is that they are forcing you to pay $2.5 a month everyone month (minimum) to auto update addons which are authored by other people. That $2.5 is only if you have a subscription - otherwise it is as much as $50 a year, every year, or about 4.15 a month - every month. Thats about 28% of the cost of playing wow. Incredibly insane and incredibly greedy.
04-30-09, 01:36 PM   #48
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I have moved all off-topic threads regarding WowMatrix into this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22069

Please keep discussion about that topic consolidated to that thread. This forum is about our upcoming updater client. Also, please leave comments, suggestions, and criticisms about Curse on the Curse forums.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-30-09, 02:05 PM   #49
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Penguar View Post
What is wrong with the curse client now is that they are forcing you to pay $2.5 a month everyone month (minimum) to auto update addons which are authored by other people. That $2.5 is only if you have a subscription - otherwise it is as much as $50 a year, every year, or about 4.15 a month - every month. Thats about 28% of the cost of playing wow. Incredibly insane and incredibly greedy.
No one is forcing you to do anything. I've never used the Curse updater until 5 minutes ago. I am not a premium member and I had absolutely no issue using the Curse client to update my addons.

I should mention that the Curse client wasn't as monstrous as I thought it was going to be. I'll still uninstall it though as I have no need for it as I prefer to manually update the few addons that I have.

Last edited by Petrah : 04-30-09 at 02:07 PM.
04-30-09, 02:07 PM   #50
jader9920
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I will admit that up until it was shut down, I was a WM user, since that day I have bounced back and forth between this site and curse, updating the addons I had.

Yesterday two things happened which caused me to rethink my position.
1. Curse released the whole premium thing(I won't get into all the things wrong with it since this isn't curse)
2. Second, I checked out the info and screens on Minion.

As of now, I consider myself a WOWI community member. The updater looks and sounds incredible, and the mods on the forums here are much, much better behaved than on the other site.
I look forward to the new updater and doing my part in this community to help keep things going.

Now, to find replacements here for all those mods from curse...
04-30-09, 04:34 PM   #51
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
No one is forcing you to do anything. I've never used the Curse updater until 5 minutes ago. I am not a premium member and I had absolutely no issue using the Curse client to update my addons.

I should mention that the Curse client wasn't as monstrous as I thought it was going to be. I'll still uninstall it though as I have no need for it as I prefer to manually update the few addons that I have.
Out of curiosity, I just used it for the first time in a couple of years. I didn't notice any lack of functionality and there was one ad visible on the interface, relatively small in the lower right-hand corner. Update one or all buttons still present and working... Anyway, like Silenia I prefer to manually update but curse client isn't the monster it has been made out to be and I'm positive that WoWI's version will be even better.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-30-09, 06:43 PM   #52
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
Out of curiosity, I just used it for the first time in a couple of years. I didn't notice any lack of functionality and there was one ad visible on the interface, relatively small in the lower right-hand corner. Update one or all buttons still present and working... Anyway, like Silenia I prefer to manually update but curse client isn't the monster it has been made out to be and I'm positive that WoWI's version will be even better.
The one thing that I did notice, after making my post, was that the upon updating Fubar it placed a Libroc folder inside of my addons folder. I forget what this is called, but the old Ace updater thingy gave you an option for this. If left on default, it didn't separate ace libs. I mentioned this over on Curse and Kaelton was cool enough to add it to their list of things they may add to the client (an option to turn that off, because right now there isn't one).
04-30-09, 08:39 PM   #53
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
iirc, this is because FuBar currently has a hard dependency set on LibRock, so CC sees that you need it and grabs it. Issue with FuBar on the repository.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Updaters and Such