03-31-08, 03:32 AM   #1
GilliamII
A Defias Bandit
Chat mod/filter

I'm looking for a mod (or two or ten) that would allow me to filter out some things from chat. I would like to be able to set a text string and have it completely filter out or block any chat that comes through with that string anywhere in it without putting names on my ignore list.

As an example, if trade chat is getting dumb (when is it not anymore?) and people start with the Check Norris jokes I want to be able to enter "chuck norris" as a filter string. Then if Joeblow says "Chuck norris blah blah blah" it won't hit my screen but I would be able to see his next chat entry selling enchants.

I saw something that sounded like it would do exactly this though I can't remember the name now. Unfortunately when I downloaded and installed it the addon management screen labeled it "incompatible".

Secndly, and sort of along the same line, I'd like to find a sort of "audio filter" for text coming through the chat windows. For those that have played Everquest, the Audio Trigger system is exactly what I'm looking for. I could enter a string like "Joeblow has been slain." and set it to play "explode.wav" and if Joeblow got killed by an army of mobs I would hear a "KABOOM" and know he was dead without having to look away from what I was doing. Ideally you would be able to drop in any .wav file to the addon folder and be able to see it from a drop down type menu in the addon config.

So, if anyone can help me out with either of these requests that would be great. I've done some searching and come up empty handed so far. Id even be willing to learn how to create these myself if someone could lend some guidance.
03-31-08, 03:39 AM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's very likely that addon still works assuming it is very simple and that's ALL it does. CHAT_MSG_XXX does not require any secure functionality.

While I don't normally advocate doing this, given that the addon in question is pre-2.0, you don't have another option (rather than find another addon). So you should only do this if you know EXACTLY what you are doing and have a VERY GOOD reason to do it :P

That being said, the fact that I'm telling you implies the above condition is satisfied

Look in that addon's folder for a file ending in .toc (it should be named the same as the folder). Then look for a line that says "## Interface:" and you should see a number. Change that number to 20400. This should remove the "Incompatible" notice, and if the addon is simple enough, allow it to work.

Good luck,
-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
03-31-08, 04:22 AM   #3
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Code:
local strlower, tostring, strmatch = strlower, tostring, strmatch
local strings = {
    " has joined the battle",
    " has joined the raid group.",
    " has left the raid group.",
    " has left the battle",
    "Changed Channel: ",
    "Joined Channel: ",
    "Left Channel: "
    }
local hooks = {}

local function AddMessage(frame, text, ...)
    text = tostring(text) or ""
    for i, v in ipairs(strings) do
        if string.match(strlower(text), strlower(v)) then
            return
        end
    end
    return hooks[frame](frame, text, ...)
end

for i = 1, 7 do
    if i == 2 then return end
    local f = _G['ChatFrame'..i]
    hooks[f] = f.AddMessage
    f.AddMessage = AddMessage
end
should work, I use it to filter out the hundreds of "Blah has left the raid group" battleground spam.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Chat mod/filter