02-02-08, 05:01 PM   #1
whitezombie
A Murloc Raider
Help with development?

Hey folks, I am NEW to LUA coding, I have been programming in VB/VB.NET/C and other languages for about 10 years now. Can someone please assist me on grasping some basics? I have viewed the tutorial file already and have SOME idea on how to assign buttons to code etc.

The goal of what I am trying to do right now is import the players in a raid into a combo box. Once they are in a combo box, I'd like to have it so a person can select their name via the combo box and then assign them a number with another combo box.

So for a text example:

Combobox w/ Raid players names ---- Combobox w/ numbers 1 - 25.

and then an ASSIGN button, and it dumps out into a scrollable text box:

XYZ has been assigned number #

etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!
02-02-08, 05:09 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm just curious what this would be for. Raid members already have ids (1-25 in a 25 man raid).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-02-08, 05:12 PM   #3
whitezombie
A Murloc Raider
Gruul's lair, I made a simple GUI in VB.NET, that shows a graphic of the layout of Gruul encounter, and the DOT's of positioning, the raid leader normally has to assign out numbers and right them down on paper etc., I am looking to smooth this process out more with some type of MOD. The GUI I designed works awesome, the problem is, you have to get out to the desktop in order to use it.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I'm just curious what this would be for. Raid members already have ids (1-25 in a 25 man raid).
02-02-08, 05:18 PM   #4
whitezombie
A Murloc Raider
Here is an example of what my VB.NET app looks like, I am trying to turn this basically into an IN-GAME app.

02-02-08, 07:21 PM   #5
Aezay
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is no such thing as a combobox in the WoW UI, what you have to do instead is making a number of buttons and have a scrollframe scroll through the items. This will then invoke a function you use to update the buttons with the correct text.

Since you are already experienced in programming, the actual language of Lua should pose you no problem, and all you have to learn is the UI elements. The best way to start is just to examine other mods and their code.
02-03-08, 12:16 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No offense, but wouldn't it be easier for your raid to just learn where to stand and how to do the encounter? BigWigs (maybe DBM, too) has a proximity window for people to make sure that they're not too close to each other.

My old guild had used a strat on a site that actually gave in-game screenshots of what each spot looked like for where to stand - it was very helpful. On my first Gruul's run, I knew to keep my proximity box empty and exactly where to stand. Unfortunately, it seems that the site no longer exists.

But there really is no substitute for experience and your raid members knowing what they're supposed to do and when.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-06-08, 03:22 AM   #7
whitezombie
A Murloc Raider
Hey everyone thanks for all the input. I have been busy working on coding projects from work to check back on this thread. Yes, of course it would be easier just for the people to know where to stand. The problem is this; in WoW you have a MIX of folks from Socialites, to GAMERS. Gamers tend to be the ones who actually GET stuff done, who break into new content, who can do what needs to be done to make things happen.

Socialites, sometimes even have better gear then the gamers, but don't have the skill like the gamers. These tend to be the old generation folks who have some issue with multi-tasking. Our guild is somewhat more social then gamers, sadly. Something I am working on changing, but for now. Something I have done for a very long time to learn a language is come up with a small project to get familiar with the language itself.

For example, to get more familiar with Listboxes etc in VB.NET I designed a GUI program that grabbed 50 random images from the LIVE Journal website every 5 minutes that people posted and dumps it to your hard drive. Yes, this program is pretty useless, but it provided me an opportunity to expand my knowledge on some functionality of VB.NET

Last edited by whitezombie : 02-06-08 at 03:26 AM.
02-06-08, 10:54 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I know there's a difference between playstyles. I'm a casual myself, and play to have fun - would that be called a "socialite"? I also know many people older than myself who are hardcore raiders. You can't really put people into boxes like that.

Anyway, I was just offering up a suggestion, as it seems like you're trying to micromanage things a bit much. But carry on with your development - don't let me stop you.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Help with development?