06-15-10, 11:18 PM   #1
goroz
A Defias Bandit
Power Auras Classic won't load

Hey there

I run several addons in WoW, and all work perfectly - DXE, Omen3, Recount. I downloaded power auras classic and installed on my mac manually, same as the others, but it's not showing up in the 'addons' page at the WoW load screen, so isn't loading at runtime.

My install was simple:

1. Create folder titled 'Power Auras' under [Applications]/World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns
2. Move contents of downloaded zip file into said /Power Auras folder, such that this folder now contains those contents (lua, xml files, etc and the subdirectories like Auras, Custom, Fonts, etc)

I've gone through this process several times to make sure I didn't screw anything up, and it looks fine to me, but WoW is simply not picking it up. So I must be doing this wrong somehow.

Help?

- Goroz
06-16-10, 03:24 AM   #2
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You're going to want to ask your question directly to the addon's author, either through the Power Auras Classic comments page or by sending them a message. My immediate guess would be that not all addons work with Macs, but I don't know much about addon compatibility across platforms.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-16-10, 04:12 AM   #3
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
<snip>My immediate guess would be that not all addons work with Macs, but I don't know much about addon compatibility across platforms.
AddOns are written in Lua. The default WoW UI is written in Lua (though mostly laid out in XML). The Lua interpreter, which is cross-platform, is built in to the WoW client.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
06-16-10, 04:30 AM   #4
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

My apologies. In that case, I can't help and I get the impression that neither can Torhal. :P
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-16-10, 04:37 AM   #5
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Make sure you don't have a \blahblah\Addons\Power Auras\Power Auras\ folder tree set up otherwise it won't work.
06-16-10, 05:04 AM   #6
Maximillianm
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
How do you know it's not picking it up? At your Character Login Screen, in your Addons, is it present? I have a Mac as well and Power Auras is installed fine.
An alternative is to use Curse Client for Mac & install it through there.
06-16-10, 09:18 AM   #7
goroz
A Defias Bandit
Thx for comments all.

Xan - I checked to make sure I didn't create a two-deep folder, so that's not the issue. The directory structure is setup correctly.

Max - as I noted in my post: "it's not showing up in the 'addons' page at the WoW load screen" - in that screen, I see all the other addons and am able to enable/disable, but power auras is not present. I also try typing /powa in game and get the standard msg one gets when one types an unrecognized cmd. The wow client is definitely not picking it up.

Finally, regarding curse client, in discussions with Blizz support, they insist that they have conclusive evidence that the curse client installer is one of the main paths through which keyloggers get into the game, and accounts get hacked, so I'm reluctant to go that route. I've installed all other addons manually, so do not see why I should resort to an installer in this case. I'd rather do without the addon.

'For now, I'll see if I can track down the addon authors.

Thx again for the suggestions.
06-16-10, 09:28 AM   #8
goroz
A Defias Bandit
RTFM. For this particular addon, it is necessary to name the folder into which you copy the files something specific - in this case, PowerAuras (not Power Auras, or PowA or anything else). Once I made that change (which was implied in the manual , it came up. So, problem solved.
06-16-10, 01:04 PM   #9
Taryble
A Molten Giant

As a matter of fact, no addon works if the folder name is different in any way from the name of the file that has the .toc extension. Capitalization, spelling, spaces, etc, must all match.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Power Auras Classic won't load