07-22-09, 04:11 PM   #1
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
PVEFrames Support?

Ok, so when I started doing 5m's for the first time, people used the "lucky charms" to tell people the kill order, and much to my dismay, there is no way to target "skull" for instance. Well, I was trolling Curse and found "PvEFrames", which gives you target frames based on the marks. I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to incorporate this into the status window! Here's the link:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ad/370627.aspx

People with OCD (Or CDO in Scott's Case) prefer nUI+! Find it at www.nuiaddon.com

07-22-09, 04:44 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oooo I saw that addon, too! I was actually debating on weather or not to try it, but I'm hesitant due to the fact that I'm unsure of weather or not I can resize the bars or use LiteStep to decorate them. That and I'm having a hard time picturing in my head where exactly I would put them.. not getting rid of Skada lol.

07-22-09, 05:21 PM   #3
Akryn
A Firelord
I just don't get why would you even want unitframes that /targetexact the name of whatever the symbol was on when combat started? That's going to cause so many bad pulls. x.x

07-23-09, 06:44 AM   #4
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Well, for me anyways, I'm a ranged DPS. Finding the first target (skull) typically isn't a problem. The problem is when Skull is dead, and I need to switch to X. Typically I'm mashing the tab key to cycle through which just wastes time and precious dps I *COULD* be doing if I could have quickly picked the right target.

As for replacing Skada. Again personaly, I don't look at Skada much. For the DPS end, the end of the fight is more important than during, and for the threat meter, it's been my philosophy that if I'm pulling threat from the tank, they aren't doing thier job. In reality though, 9 times out of 10, if I do pull threat, it's because the tank died, and at that point, I'm screwed because I'm usually the next on the threat list.

As for PvEFrames itself. This mod is very very new and needs alot of work. I'd like to see the ability to hide all frames, individual frames, and hide frames when there's no target for that particular mark. That said, for being a brand new mod, it does what it intends to do. Resizing the frames would be the icing on the cake, but at the same time if we had status window support in nUI for this addon, it would make alot of my wishes not needed......

-Todd

People with OCD (Or CDO in Scott's Case) prefer nUI+! Find it at www.nuiaddon.com

08-23-09, 11:12 AM   #5
Cimba
A Murloc Raider

Tank frames indeed

Being quite new to nUI this might be a noob question - but i rather ask and learn than keep quiet and remain noob.
I've read thru a lot of posts but not found anything else about tankframes - yes I'm dps as well and share Todds philosophy on targetting.
1. are there any tankframes in nUi that i have not found yet? (in the meantime using Blizz standard tankframes - not pretty)
2. if not, is there any other addon that you recommend to help with this issue?

Like Todd says, the first skull is hardly a problem... but at Yoggs 25-man i.e. when all the different tentacles come up, i'd like to do my job, aid the tank and get them down asap... they move a lot and its hard to pick the right one. Tank frames can make all the difference.

08-23-09, 11:57 AM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cimba View Post
Being quite new to nUI this might be a noob question - but i rather ask and learn than keep quiet and remain noob.
I've read thru a lot of posts but not found anything else about tankframes - yes I'm dps as well and share Todds philosophy on targetting.
1. are there any tankframes in nUi that i have not found yet? (in the meantime using Blizz standard tankframes - not pretty)
2. if not, is there any other addon that you recommend to help with this issue?

Like Todd says, the first skull is hardly a problem... but at Yoggs 25-man i.e. when all the different tentacles come up, i'd like to do my job, aid the tank and get them down asap... they move a lot and its hard to pick the right one. Tank frames can make all the difference.
There are no specific "Tank Frames" in the manner I believe you are thinking. The best you can do right now is to either use Focus (for a MT) or Assist Macros.

There may be an addon that specifically shows just Tanks and their targets, but I have not seen one yet.

08-23-09, 01:07 PM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

When I'm on my DPS instead of my tank, I use the focus frame for the main tank. It has a "target" button in it so I can always just click that button to target whoever the tank is targeting.

And since this thread has been necro'd (which is quite okay) I should add that I will be adding small clickable unit frames for raid targets in 6.0 -- I do think this would be a very handy feature, as well.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-24-09, 07:02 AM   #8
Cimba
A Murloc Raider

not enuff :)

First of all - thanks for fast reply
- but i cant use the focusframe that way, at least not all the time

1. im a mage - so i need my focus for my sheepmacro
2. tankframes is usually more than just one tank... a lot of times with both trash and bosses there will be a Main Tank (MT) and one or more Off Tanks (OT).

Common situation could be third phase Mimiron in Ulduar:
Shoot the helicopterthingy Boss - unless a certain robot spawns, it will be tanked by OT and has to be nuked OR if its another type of add it will be tanked by the other OT (and nuked) and then back to MT target and so on... Same thing on Deconstructor... and Auraya with her cats... and... see the problem?

I used to have tankframes with 2-3 tanks in (set by Raidleader) and from there I could easily pick the target the MT/OT picked ... now its a mess, sometimes I dont even know where in the room the OT or MT is running...

A macro might solve it (/assist [name]) - as long as I change it depending on the raid setup (Tonight [Jinxy] will be MT, but [Amron] might OT on Yogg, [Yunaleia] will OT on Mimoron... and so on) - at least for now.

This - as far as i can tell - is a problem both for dps and healers (X is dedicated to heal MT, Y is in charge of healing OT... who is OT in this next fight btw?)
But I do know that some players never use tankframes at all.

Oh and one more thing: Raid target icons and tankframes are not the same... Even if we usually do Skull and then Cross, sometimes the situation wont let you - the raid has to follow what the MT or OT happens to pick up. So raid icon target frames is ...half a solution. I would mean that the MT/OT would have to shout out what he/she is hitting.

Last edited by Cimba : 08-24-09 at 07:09 AM. Reason: adding info

08-24-09, 07:24 AM   #9
Seer
A Molten Giant
Won't ora2 be helpfull for targetting the tanks targets ? Kinda like the default Blizz raid frames ? Offcourse the RL needs to define the tanks for that to work which for some reasons some RL's seem not to do..

I tried PVE frames but found it not to handy myself tho, afaik, you still have the, somewhat dumb, problem that the raid targets X before skull is dead and well.. You'll find a lock isn't the best tank against melee fast..

I use another mod (forgot it's name) that shows how many people are targeting the mob(s). Pretty handy in for say Freya.

Last edited by Seer : 08-24-09 at 07:28 AM.

08-24-09, 08:38 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

/assist TanksNameHere

That macro works, every time.

08-24-09, 09:25 AM   #11
Cimba
A Murloc Raider

macro

yes - that macro will work.
We have RL who are very good at setting MT and OT... my problem (using nUI+) will be that i cant SEE who it is unless i open O-panel and check out raid

- thus i wont notice unless i do it before EVERY bossfight. And then I'll have to adapt the macro to it before EVERY bossfight.

I'll take a look at ora2 but i was hoping i didnt have to get another one of those huge addons... again... might as well go back to using xperl (since im used to it) and disabling everything But Tankframes. I'll keep looking

*don't suffer from insanity - enjoy every minute of it!*

08-24-09, 09:52 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

We have RL who are very good at setting MT and OT... my problem (using nUI+) will be that i cant SEE who it is unless i open O-panel and check out raid
o.O

nUI should be showing the main tank and off tank icons on their raid unit frames if your RL is defining them as such. If you use those then you can two click to a solution... click the tank which makes him your target, then click the "tot" unit frame. I'm hoping to do several things to improve on this in 6.0 -- we'll see when I get there.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-24-09, 11:27 AM   #13
Cimba
A Murloc Raider

thx

again - amazingly fast replies here thanks and thanks again. Do hope you find it in your heart and calender to make really nice tankframes in 6.0
*huggles*

now for my next question... no ill find a new thread for that

08-24-09, 02:09 PM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have a macro for all our tanks, and drag out the two that I need before the raid begins. If our RL forgets to mention it in Vent, someone normally asks who the MT and OT are. I think I've opened the raid window perhaps 5 times the entire time I've been raiding. I just haven't had the need.

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
o.O

nUI should be showing the main tank and off tank icons on their raid unit frames if your RL is defining them as such. If you use those then you can two click to a solution... click the tank which makes him your target, then click the "tot" unit frame. I'm hoping to do several things to improve on this in 6.0 -- we'll see when I get there.
Perhaps I'm not paying attention, or maybe they are not being defined... but do you have a screenie I could see so I know what icons you're talking about? Chances are high that I'm just not paying attention lol.

08-24-09, 04:06 PM   #15
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Might wanna try Magic Targets 2 it gives a group of bars showing all the raid targets and if anyone is tanking them, thier CC'd, idle , or untanked by color of the bar. Its syncs up with magic marker also to show raid target symbols, all in all a pretty nice mod. If I can find some time I was gonna see if I can work this into the info panel don't know though the list could get pretty big in certain situations

Last edited by neuralassassin : 08-24-09 at 04:12 PM.

08-25-09, 05:11 AM   #16
Cimba
A Murloc Raider

Magic marker 2

Showing is good... i'll take a look at it. Can i also click the icon to make it my target?

08-25-09, 08:17 PM   #17
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Showing is good... i'll take a look at it. Can i also click the icon to make it my target?
Dont think so but im not sure

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Plugin Support » PVEFrames Support?