10-03-12, 08:31 AM   #1
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Suggestions] Official Thread

Rythal is going to be very busy, having already posted his future plans elsewhere. In the meantime, I thought I would start a new Official Suggestions Thread. No bug reports, please. Only post "Hey, wouldn't it be a good thing if Carbonite supported, was changed like, or could be improved with" ideas.

Since Rythal as mentioned supporting Ace3, that gave me a few ideas I'd like to see in Carbonite.
  1. Improve the Warhouse so members of the same guild automatically get the guild bank synced when one person visits. Mobile Vault already does this using LibGuildBankComm-1.0.
  2. Use LibGuildPositions-1.0 in order to see guild members on the world map. This might be a toggle in Carbonite, with default on.
  3. Don't reinvent the wheel: HandyNotes and its plugins already handle NPCs, trainers, vendors, etc on the world map. They only improvement might be to include a preloaded database rather than have the user interact with each NPC at least once first to add the icon.
  4. Don't reinvent the wheel 2: use either GatherMate2_Data or GathererDB_WoWHead to add herbs, mines, treasures, etc. Personally, I'd use GM2_Data, as it contains fish, gas clouds, and other types that Gatherer does not. Further, GM2_Data is updated weekly using WowHead data mining.

10-03-12, 07:36 PM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

LibDataBroker so users can easily access some of the main features via a broker addon like Titan Panel.

10-04-12, 07:52 PM   #3
DanComputerX
A Defias Bandit
Tooltips

I am grateful for Rythal taking over development; it seems churlish to ask for more. But...

It would be lovely to have tooltips on the settings in options. I have no idea what many of them do.

Perhaps this is something that could be undertaken by a poweruser.

Thank you, Rythal, for your fine work.

10-04-12, 08:54 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by DanComputerX View Post
I am grateful for Rythal taking over development; it seems churlish to ask for more. But...

It would be lovely to have tooltips on the settings in options. I have no idea what many of them do.

Perhaps this is something that could be undertaken by a poweruser.

Thank you, Rythal, for your fine work.
It won't be in the next patch, but a complete overhaul of the options system is planned

10-06-12, 02:10 PM   #5
unmploied
A Kobold Labourer
just a thought

I would like to see a "lite" version. Or add a toggle on/off on some options.

Thank you so much for your hard work.

10-07-12, 03:51 AM   #6
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by unmploied View Post
I would like to see a "lite" version. Or add a toggle on/off on some options.

Thank you so much for your hard work.
That's why Rythal is modularizing Carbonite so you can enable/disable what you want.

10-07-12, 01:26 PM   #7
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
Quest auto-learning

I'm not a programmer but i was wondering if it's possible for a mod to auto learn quests as the player does the quest. And is it possible to transmit that quest data that was learned to all carbonite users via a hidden channel thus expanding the quest area/blob area of quest items or npcs.

Sincerely
Teamptress @ Feathermoon

10-08-12, 05:40 AM   #8
Qin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Lightbulb Turn Off / Log Out

I know that the two "chat" channels are required to share data when working with other Carbonite Users.

Although I would like the ability to turn those chat joins off automatically.

regards,

10-08-12, 11:42 AM   #9
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Qin View Post
I know that the two "chat" channels are required to share data when working with other Carbonite Users.

Although I would like the ability to turn those chat joins off automatically.

regards,
Actually, it is one "chat" channel that is in reality the addon communication channel, which is not normally viable or accessible to users. What are you seeing?

10-08-12, 05:31 PM   #10
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
they are right, there is 2 channels it joins, crb2 and crb[random] ... crb2 is used for global talk for version information so you can see when a new version is out, and world positions which is why you can see every other carbonite user in your zone. That one can be turned off in the options already. The second channel I don't know what it's used for yet, group communication is all done through the API for addon communication.

10-09-12, 10:13 AM   #11
mcaran
A Murloc Raider
I have a suggestion regarding the instance/dungeons/scenario maps. They are much smaller than the world maps ones. Zoom them automatically once we enter or leave such places.

For quests databases, unless you have a tool to parse wowhead/thotbot to create the quest db for you, use any good/stable/consistent already known addon (there are many GPLs out there) as base db instead of recreate it from the scratch as you're planning. I guess its a waste of time maintaining a local quest db because there are people that already do that.

If you decide to use a own database, users could help a lot installing the wowhead tool in their machines. This small tool collects a lot of data in-game. You could use it to extract the desired information.

10-09-12, 04:53 PM   #12
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mcaran View Post
If you decide to use a own database, users could help a lot installing the wowhead tool in their machines. This small tool collects a lot of data in-game. You could use it to extract the desired information.
Double up, since Curse's WoWDB.com tracks some things that WoWHead does not, like mailboxes. For Curse, you need the addon WoWDB Profiler, and the Curse Client needs to be running when you exit the game. You can do this every few days, unless you truly want to run the client all the time. Unfortunately, Mac users, while they can install the addon and collect data, cannot upload with the v4 Mac Curse Client. Also, there is no way to manually upload the data to WoWDB.

WoWHead requires the WoWHead Looter program, which installs their addon for you. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac, and does have a manual upload option, along with automatic.

10-12-12, 03:36 PM   #13
Kathan
An Aku'mai Servant
Glad to see the devs made the right choice for the community. Grats Rythal!

Is it possible to translate over the Blizzard 'big map' quest blob POIs over to the Carbonite map? If you integrate Blizzards minimap into the carbonite map, it's kind of funky because they added showing POI blobs to the minimap, but since the minimap is integrated into carbonites, it only shows the blobs from the minimap object that gets moved around/scaled.

If you can grab the POIs to place over Carbonite's map, then you could probably grab the ?'s too for NPC turn ins?

10-13-12, 11:21 AM   #14
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Kathan View Post
Glad to see the devs made the right choice for the community. Grats Rythal!

Is it possible to translate over the Blizzard 'big map' quest blob POIs over to the Carbonite map? If you integrate Blizzards minimap into the carbonite map, it's kind of funky because they added showing POI blobs to the minimap, but since the minimap is integrated into carbonites, it only shows the blobs from the minimap object that gets moved around/scaled.

If you can grab the POIs to place over Carbonite's map, then you could probably grab the ?'s too for NPC turn ins?
I like this idea. Anything that can be done to allow seeing POI's on both sizes of the Carbonite map would be wonderful. Ideally, I'd like to have the Carbonite map(s) use its own separate user-selectable options from the ones that Blizzard offers on its minimap. (Note: I never move Blizzard's minimap into my Carbonite map). That way, users have more control over the Carbonite map, while maintaining selected options on the Blizzard minimap.

As it is now, I never see anything on Carbonite's maps except possibly Mailboxes, Flightmasters, Inn's, Banks, various Nodes, and Auction Houses. I'd like to see a full-range of optional POI's, and be able to turn on/off the ones I want (on each size of the Carbonite map).

10-14-12, 06:24 AM   #15
cheriea99
A Murloc Raider
Future release suggestion- Profiles

I'd like to ask that you consider including in future releases profiles? Nearly every addon these days has them, and they're certainly helpful to create one or two types of set ups one time, and then just be able to model after them. They're also a huge time saver after certain patches when Blizzard likes to make their Users redo everything.

10-17-12, 04:00 PM   #16
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by cheriea99 View Post
I'd like to ask that you consider including in future releases profiles? Nearly every addon these days has them, and they're certainly helpful to create one or two types of set ups one time, and then just be able to model after them. They're also a huge time saver after certain patches when Blizzard likes to make their Users redo everything.
I believe I'm using the latest version(s) of Carbonite with Rythal's great fixes. It's really hard to find a single source to get Rythal's; there's this/these forums (several possible locations here), Rythal's Development Blog, and probably more.

Anyway, my version DOES have a 'Profile' setting, but it's hard to find. It's in the Carbonite "Options" under "Reset," I believe. Maybe it could be an option unto itself.

10-18-12, 12:36 AM   #17
Rhiyz
A Defias Bandit
Request for 2 more "use quest watch item" keybindings

hi

i have a Request for 2 more "use quest watch item" keybindings.

10-21-12, 05:06 PM   #18
Emmiebean
A Defias Bandit
Would it be possible to include the ability to track battle pet locations in the same way the gathering tracker works?

10-22-12, 03:34 AM   #19
tednik
An Aku'mai Servant

Don't reinvent the wheel 2: use either GatherMate2_Data or GathererDB_WoWHead to add herbs, mines, treasures, etc. Personally, I'd use GM2_Data, as it contains fish, gas clouds, and other types that Gatherer does not. Further, GM2_Data is updated weekly using WowHead data mining.
Yes please use gathermate2. Like they said it is updated at least once a week sometimes more and it seems to be more widely used now more so than gatherer. Once again great work with the addon and glad to see someone working on it that actually cares for the community.

10-23-12, 03:52 PM   #20
Emmiebean
A Defias Bandit
Gathermate 2 has stated they have no intention whatsoever of including battle pets in their database. But thx anyway. There is a pet tracker addon BUT it does not work with carbonites map.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » [Suggestions] Official Thread