10-29-14, 03:55 PM   #1
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Recently back to WoW

I have just returned back to wow, less than a week now. I see a huge amount of changes have happened..however I am not finding any info on the general make up of wow on the back-end?
Did Blizzard change the way WoW handles UI mods now? As I have downloaded quite a few *updated* mods. Ones that have come out in the past week or so. All I get is UI errors now and the only thing that stops them is for them me to completely disable all mods and play with a virgin UI. I take that back, the only mods I have been able to get to work with out causing some error is a graph paper one and perl Unit frames. Mail, Quest, Action bars and bag mods have all repeatedly been popping up errors and one called a pet journal. My main is a rogue and I done even have a pet, not even a vanity pet out. Bartender worked for about a day and now, as of an hour ago, has stopped working.

I apologize if this has been answered in some form or another. I never had anywhere near this kind of issues this past year 2013, before I left the game. I basically was just wondering if they have an all new User Interface language or not supporting any kind of mods now?

Thanks for your time everyone, luck and loot.

Regards,
Mereinid
Janaki, Draenei, 90 Hunter
Anginny, Gnome, 87 Death Knight
10-29-14, 04:07 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Define "updated". The 6.0.2 patch just came out a couple of weeks ago.

/edit: oops - you did say the past week or so.

What did you try to install?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-29-14, 04:16 PM   #3
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
They've changed a lot with 6.0.2. Some of the changes, like some commonly used functions that do expect true/false instead of 1/nil now, have a big potential to break a lot of addons without updateting them to 6.0.2.
Some parts of the Blizzard UI are not only updated with 6.0.2, they are completly replaced/reworked. Like the Pet Journal (it's about battle pets and mounts btw ... not about hunter pets or such *g*) and the Quest Frame.

Long story short: an addon that is released for 6.0.2 ("Compatibility: Warlords of Draenor Pre-Patch") will work as usual. An addons that is not updated could be broken. And addons doing things with stuff like pets, quests, etc. are very likely to be broken.

If your're only using compatible addons you shouldn't experience any errors (or at least not more than you're accustomed to *g*).
10-29-14, 04:52 PM   #4
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hey-hey, Duugu and Seerah, I apologize for the lengthy time getting back. Its dinner time here, I had to get my eat on. Anywho, Seerah. The ones I have tried were were Bartender, Domnios, Quester, SmartunitFrames, JebusMail, GogoMount, Rarescanner, Sexmap, wMap, PhanxChat. I also tried Carbonite, which I love..that thing..wow, pardon the pun, was just broke from load. No functionality worked on that mod, at all.

I normally dont like to use full blow UI compilations as I like my UI set up universally and in the way I Like it set up. Minimap at the bottom center and some actions bigger than others so they are easier to get to. My bags in a certain area..etc etc.. However, I might have to try to get one that is *close* to what I like and wait until a couple months after the new expac comes out and more mods are tested for it and most of the bugs worked out.

Duugu, thanks for explaining what you did to me, it makes a bit more sense now. I figured some back-end functionality had to be reworked or removed all together. Thats the reasons for my erorrs. As far as the pet/quest error I am getting, is there a fix for that or at least a work around. I am not above plopping in a few XML lines to jurry-rig it.

Thanks you two.

Regards,
Mereinid
10-29-14, 06:30 PM   #5
Ogriku
A Murloc Raider

Carbonite has been broken since patch 6.0 was released, the author issued a statement saying the project will be fixed and completely functional for Warlords of Dreanor. Blizzard changed some of the map I.Ds for things in WoD (ex. Nagrand, cant go 2 nagrands and carbonite displaying the BC version)

So the author will have to hash out some of the fixes with the new ID's. He has given no ETA on when the project will be completed so I would suggest heading over to http://www.carboniteaddon.com/ and checking for any updates or forum posts.
10-29-14, 06:47 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There is an update available by a "third party". It's "Third Party Hotfix for Carbonite".

I just dpwnloaded and installed it and didn't get a chance to check it out yet. Hopefully...

By the way, the "official" Carbonite site is not the place you should be checking for updates. They haven't updated the addon in at least two years. They have "given it over" to Rythal, with their permission and their blessings, but Rythal's RL has gotten quite busy of late and it's taking a while to get an update out. Please be patient.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 10-29-14 at 06:54 PM.
10-29-14, 09:26 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Mereinid View Post
Bartender, Domnios, Quester, SmartunitFrames, JebusMail, GogoMount, Rarescanner, Sexmap, wMap, PhanxChat.
I can personally confirm that Bartender and PhanxChat are working just fine. If you're getting errors from PhanxChat, please post the errors on the download page so I can fix them.

Dominos, GoGoMount, RareSkanner, and SexyMap all appear to have been updated, though I don't use any of them myself. If you're getting errors, post them on the download page so the author can fix them.

The version of JebusMail here on WoWI is about 7 years out of date, so make sure you're getting it from Curse, not here.

wMap hasn't been updated since 2012, so I would not be surprised if it was no longer functional.
10-29-14, 09:36 PM   #8
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Get back

Hey all, man I appreciate the get backs I am getting here. Its also extremely refreshing to not be flamed or harassed when talking here about some issues I am having. My whole-hearted thanks! If *any* of you make it to South Alabama, let me know dinner is on me!

I will post the errors I am getting. Is there a place in the wow directory that, by chance, catches all of the errors or do I need to wait for them to happen once more? I am going to wipe my local files, settings, WDB, WTF ( or whatever it is now), interface and the like and let the blizzard downloader re-download it all and install one and play and then install and play, one by one to see if I can get it to, ither not have errors or recreate them so I can post them.

Thanks so much!

Luck & Loot,
Mereinid
10-29-14, 09:49 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

If *any* of you make it to South Alabama, let me know dinner is on me!
It's already too hot here in California with low humidity... I don't think I'd survive down there.

Is there a place in the wow directory that, by chance, catches all of the errors or do I need to wait for them to happen once more?
WoW doesn't save past errors. I'd recommend installing Bugger which will (a) let you look at errors any time, not just when one happened, and (b) let you look at errors from previous sessions. It also avoids the incredibly annoying "feature" of the default UI's error display where it pops up in the middle of your screen regardless of what you happen to be doing at the moment.
10-30-14, 02:48 AM   #10
Ogriku
A Murloc Raider

I'll take a bowl of seafood gumbo :P
10-30-14, 03:25 PM   #11
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Ogriku View Post
I'll take a bowl of seafood gumbo :P
You got it partner, I am 3hrs from Mobile, AL..there is some gumbo there, that will make your world go BEWM! lol Sorry about that to many hours logged in Borderlands 1&2.

So far I have had only one set of really bad errors all involving Discord Unit Frames. I let the dev know about that on DUF page in her comments section. I have not played more than a few mins last night once I installed all the mods I wanted, they are;

1. AnsiCombatText
2. ArkInventory
3. Badboy
4. Bartneder4
5. DugiQuest
6. GraphPaper
7. Leatrix_Plus
8. Perl unit Frames
9. PhanxChat
10. QuestGuru (I am unsure if this will cause errors with Dugi, as I think this mod just makes the default quest window "L" look better.
11. wMmap

That's all I have going, the game started fine, other than the Discord issue, I will check them here in a moment and play for an hour or so.
I created and PhotoBucket account. (Just for s&g's, here is the link to the 7 or 8 errors from Discord Unit Frames I got..they all happened in less than 2 mins. http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/Me...Frames%20Error)
Anyway, I am hoping to add some recipe mods that show locations to place where I can pick up ingredients and also a *move anything* mod. MoveAnything mod has, as far as last night, not been updated. If any of you have another option for this I would be greatly appreciative.

Anyway, I ramble. I will check back in a bit with m, hopefully clear, playing session. Once more thanks to everyone who replied to my initial issue!

Luck & Loot
Mereinid
10-30-14, 03:42 PM   #12
Duugu
Premium Member

That sounds awesome. Unfortunaly that's not exactly my neighborhood ... or region ... or country ... continent. Well, at least we're on the same planet. ;D
10-30-14, 04:19 PM   #13
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
That sounds awesome. Unfortunaly that's not exactly my neighborhood ... or region ... or country ... continent. Well, at least we're on the same planet. ;D
Well damn Duugu, you need a vacation..come on down south..I can supply the food and the South can supply the "eye-candy" Wooohooo!
10-31-14, 08:57 PM   #14
Phanx
Cat.

... recipe mods that show locations to place where I can pick up ingredients ...
Ackis Recipe List + the modules for whichever professions you want (links are on the main page there).
11-04-14, 11:01 PM   #15
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Rare Ping

Hey guys/gals
Does anyone know of a working rare scanner? Not for WoD expansion..but for the previously released content?

Regards,
11-04-14, 11:11 PM   #16
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
I use RareAlert. It was created when vignettes were introduced in MoP. I'm Not sure if NPCScan still works for even older rares.
11-04-14, 11:52 PM   #17
Ogriku
A Murloc Raider

Hey guys/gals
Does anyone know of a working rare scanner? Not for WoD expansion..but for the previously released content?

Regards,
Might also be worth a look, http://www.wowinterface.com/download...verDragon.html
11-04-14, 11:57 PM   #18
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
I'm Not sure if NPCScan still works for even older rares.
No addons can still use the old "cache scanning" method, at any content level. For older rares that don't have vignettes (everything before Cataclysm) you're stuck with macro mashing.

Personally I use NPCScan Overlay to show where the rares can be on the map, and SilverDragon to automatically update a "/targetexact" macro with all the rares in the area. SilverDragon will also alert you if you mouseover or target a rare, or see a nameplate for it, though those are significantly less useful search methods.

NPCScan itself has been "updated" but there's no change log for it, and since it was 100% dependent on cache scanning, which no longer works, I'm not sure what exactly was updated, or if the whole thing was rewritten, or what.
11-05-14, 12:23 AM   #19
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Well, there you go!

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
No addons can still use the old "cache scanning" method, at any content level. For older rares that don't have vignettes (everything before Cataclysm) you're stuck with macro mashing.
11-05-14, 01:12 PM   #20
Mereinid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Well, there you go!
HAHA, and there we have it! FM, the best damn reply this side of the Mississippi! Well I guess I will wait for you and Phanx to co-create a new super rare announcer, so I can donate and then finally get that damn mount flying around in the Storm Peaks, that has been eluding me now for 8 years.....

Ok, umm well then..umm I guess I will go do some Algebra now.

Regards,

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Recently back to WoW