05-19-09, 10:47 AM   #1
LiquidEnforcer
A Kobold Labourer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Updater Optimizations...

I was curious if this new updater will at all attempt to cut down on bandwidth by the site being modified to supply it with 'patch' files which only contain the changes from one version to the next, instead of the entire addon. Seems like something like this would really cut down on the massive bandwidth normally required to support such a tool. Just wondering if you were thinking about/planning ways to save yourselves some headaches, other than throwing more ads at it.

This thing looks pretty cool though, can't wait to take a whack at it.
05-19-09, 11:27 AM   #2
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Both WoWI and Curse do not host patches, as in, they distribute full AddOns.
I believe incgamers does the same.
05-19-09, 11:28 AM   #3
Kofetek
A Fallenroot Satyr

Although module authors should be able to do so...

First, you try to relax, then you find yourself laughing manically and chewing on a red bull can.
05-19-09, 11:37 AM   #4
Bomyne
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
It sounds like a good idea in theory. In practice, it may be a bit too much work for the Updater's author, the site's admin teams or even the addon authors
05-19-09, 01:21 PM   #5
Chasiubao
A Kobold Labourer
Sounds intriguing. I wonder how hard it would be to do a scripted diff on the files in two versions of an AddOn, and distribute only the new / changed files?
05-19-09, 02:51 PM   #6
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Based on what I've read your idea is entirely possible, if the site that the module is written for has support for patching addons.

Since, as mentioned above, WoWI doesn't support patch downloads of addons I'm sure this isn't going to be an option on the WoWI module. Unless of course they (meaning the site overall, not the module for the site) decide to support such a feature.
05-19-09, 10:05 PM   #7
Starfury
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

That's something I really miss from back when I was getting Ace addons from svn. Just getting the updated files rather than downloading the whole thing.

Of course it would require a lot of work and wouldn't work with the way most addon sites are setup now.

It also wouldn't really be worth it anyway since it takes no time to download the whole thing for almost everyone. Only someone on dialup like me is hit hard by the big addons.
05-19-09, 10:27 PM   #8
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
Binary diffs on addon packages are probably not worth the effort or bandwidth savings. Sure, things like LightHeaded could benefit, but doing proper binary diffs is a bit more involved than just coding it in.

You've got to either calculate a deltas from version A to B to C to D to E, or from A to E, or from D to E, or none of the above and calculate/store them all on the server.

Or you can just check a version on a zip and copy it over.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
05-20-09, 04:43 AM   #9
Sonic_24
A Kobold Labourer
SVN checkouts prevail... faster and easier, mmh? It seems quite obvious that 'fluid' projects like WoW addons should be SVNed, for me at least.
05-21-09, 08:36 AM   #10
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
As has already been stated, no it does not attempt to make patch files to minimize bandwidth, though it is an interesting idea. Perhaps something could be arranged somewhere down the road.

For beta release, definitely not.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Updater Optimizations...