02-08-22, 08:47 AM   #1
LenweSaralonde
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Increase upload max file size

Hi

I'm facing an issue with my main add-on project, Musician, and WoWInterface : That 100 MB upload limit!

The add-on includes a lot of audio files for instruments. The ZIP file size is ~95MB which is fine for now but I'm planning to add more instruments in the future and since those are already compressed, the 100 MB limit will be exceeded.

Would it be possible to increase the upload max file size to a value that makes more sense in 2022, like 300 MB ?

WoWInterface is not the only place where Musician can be downloaded from but I'd be sad to give up posting updates here only because of a dumb file size limitation :/
02-08-22, 10:08 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Unfortunately the solution is not that easy. The file size limitation is due to our WAF/DDOS protection with Cloudflare. Currently their limit is 100mb for their pro account unless you get the ultra expensive enterprise plan which we can not afford then it can be increased to 500mb.

I'll look into ways we can counter this by possibly using upload chunking, the only problem is that requires javascript so it would work fine for a web form but it wont work for an api.

For the API I could spin up another backend that is unprotected from DDOS so that if it does get attacked only uploading via the API is effected and not the entire website.

Last edited by Dolby : 02-08-22 at 10:12 AM.
02-08-22, 02:55 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Alternatively, you could add additional instruments as separate plugins instead of part of the main download.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-09-22, 08:08 AM   #4
LenweSaralonde
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I'll look into ways we can counter this by possibly using upload chunking, the only problem is that requires javascript so it would work fine for a web form but it wont work for an api.
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
For the API I could spin up another backend that is unprotected from DDOS so that if it does get attacked only uploading via the API is effected and not the entire website.
In addition to the existing HTTP upload with DDoS protection and the 100 MB limit, maybe you could just allow to provide an URL to the archive file online (for example the download link of a GitHub release archive) and just download from it on server side ? It should be way more easier to implement and would be a solid workaround to the file upload limit.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Alternatively, you could add additional instruments as separate plugins instead of part of the main download.
This is what I did for the piano, but most of the people don't bother downloading plugins.

In addition, I'd like to add "LoFi" versions of all the instruments for those who have a computer with lower specs (instrument samples should be preloaded when the game starts and be maintained in the OS file cache to avoid stuttering) which will result in a bigger archive. Having everything already in the main archive (new instruments + LoFi versions) would make things simple for users, even if the archive file size and occupied space on storage device is bigger.
02-12-22, 01:30 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
People are just fine with installing plugins. There are plenty of popular addons that use plugins already instead of packing a bunch of optional components in the main download. IMO, your lo-fi version should be separate, too. *shrug*

Not to mention, the larger your main download is, the more bandwidth it uses each time it gets downloaded. Both by your users *and* by WoWInterface. Ex.- Oops, you had a typo in version 1.7. You upload 1.7.1 to fix it, but 200 people had already gotten 1.7. Some of those people might have a metered data plan and now need to download all of the instrument files again in order to get the fix that could have been in just a smaller, core addon. Plus, that's 200 more huge files that WoWI has to serve again.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-14-22, 03:18 AM   #6
LenweSaralonde
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Not to mention, the larger your main download is, the more bandwidth it uses each time it gets downloaded. Both by your users *and* by WoWInterface. Ex.- Oops, you had a typo in version 1.7. You upload 1.7.1 to fix it, but 200 people had already gotten 1.7.
This is another kind of problem. The ideal solution would be to make an add-on management system based on git or something similar so only modified files are downloaded.

I also try to avoid posting updates too frequently, except if a very annoying bug occurs.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Increase upload max file size