01-13-10, 06:51 AM   #1
farlay
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
An addon can help me to find myself

Oh... no, I lost myself again!

Yeah, I admit that I'm a noob, who often found herself lost in some crowded raids, like in Onyxia 25 when the whelps were up and all the crazy mages started AOE, and when we all hugged together at the face boss in the black temple. It's not really a big problem, as I could always find myself sooner or later, but it could be really annoying that for a few seconds I had no idea where I was standing.

My question is whether there is any add-on that can help you to mark yourself, that mark may only be seen by you, to help you quickly identify your position in a crowded place. I tried to use the Name feature in blizzard options, hence only shows my own name, and nothing else, it doesn’t help much, as the letters are too small.
01-13-10, 09:18 AM   #2
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
I feel your pain. It's been asked if there is a way to mark others in a mob with your own raid icons not to conflict with that of a group/raid but it has something to do with Addons not being able to interact with the 3D world. Since your request is more specific -just yourself- maybe there might be hope for your request. --heres hoping--
01-13-10, 12:37 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by nickyjean View Post
Addons not being able to interact with the 3D world.
This here ^^
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-13-10, 01:35 PM   #4
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Eehm, the only few things possible are checking "My own name" in the Names panel of the interface config, or just make a little frame in the center of the screen since your own character is always in the exact middle of your screen(unless your a gnome, then it's a little below).
01-15-10, 07:45 AM   #5
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

could something like tidy plates or aloft be capable of display differently for self? i know i've seen tidy plates themes vary their look based on hostel/friendly/npc etc... seems probably self could be distinguished just the same.
01-16-10, 01:14 AM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

An idea would be as simple as placing a set of crosshairs in the center of the screen, since the camera is always centered on the character, this should give an idea of where your character should be.
01-16-10, 11:10 AM   #7
farlay
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Many thanks for the advice! I tired it in last night raid, put a single action bar in the middle of the screen for the trinket, and it helped, and it was a strange realization, it’s like you know you are moving but actually you don’t.
01-16-10, 03:50 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Place a piece of scotch tape there

And to play off what SDPhantom said you can use a crosshair like these

Last edited by Sepioth : 01-16-10 at 04:03 PM.
01-19-10, 12:43 AM   #9
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Back to topic, just found this...
01-19-10, 02:53 AM   #10
BWarner
A Black Drake

I honestly can't stand putting anything over my character, at least as a melee. You're obscuring location-specific information by placing something over your character, which is particularly vital to melee roles, though not a non-issue for ranged.

The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

http://AeroWow.com/
01-19-10, 02:01 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I don't like to box in my mage either. Can never play with HUDs or the nameplates on even.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » An addon can help me to find myself