Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07-04-12, 05:23 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Very high GPU temps

Hi.

I've got an 2011 iMac, 3.4GHz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M. I've been running Windows 7 on it lately (64 bit) for some programming stuff and gaming purposes. The weather is rather hot here as of late (26°C) and I decided to check my GPU temperature while playng WoW because my fans sounded like they were spinning very fast.

This are the results:

As you can see, one die on the GPU shows 109.5°C. At one point, it was as high as 115. Now from what I know about graphics cards, this is insanely hot, as most people seem to consider 90°C to be overheating already.

The thing is, I'm not sure how accurate GPU-Z is. The fan speed readouts are wrong, for instance. The highest readout of GPU temperature I've ever had under OS X (using a different app to measure it, naturally) was 95°C, which caused the GPU to already throttle down, decreasing fps in order to cool down. I'm not sure if Windows does the same, though, and I'm worried it might be damaging my GPU.

Considering I've just taken it in for repairs on something different (screen brightness), and the repair guys assured me that they've tested it extensively, there's not supposed to be anything broken.

What should I do? Are these readouts possibly just wrong, and should I not worry?

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Very high GPU temps