08-20-07, 03:19 PM   #1
Trefane
A Murloc Raider
Simplifying Kael'thas

My guild is working on Kael'thas, and one part of that fight which is a pain is the looting of the legendary weapons when they die. You're trying to select an item that's laying under four other still-active items and 15 other guildies that are still fighting them. They despawn after only a minute so getting them quickly is vital. I'm looking for ways to simplify that, I have a code editor and I'm not afraid to use it.

Every player needs to

1. Find the corpse of their weapon(s)
2. Open the corpse
3. Loot the corpse
4. Equip

1, 3 & 4 seem possible (/tar Staff, UseContainerItem, /equip Staff). It's #2 I'm wondering if it's possible to do programmatically.
08-20-07, 03:36 PM   #2
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First your post had me laugh both for the description of the messy event (I can visually imagine the guildies running and jumping all over the place in the middle of the weapon-ware stuff) and for
Originally Posted by Trefane
I have a code editor and I'm not afraid to use it.
As far as the request is concerned it seems to me most of the steps involved are protected and require hardware event, so I am not sure how much of it you can automate with an addon / macro
08-20-07, 03:44 PM   #3
Trefane
A Murloc Raider
Separate hardware events for every step would be just fine. I could put 4 different icons on the screen somewhere that people could click individually. It would still be faster than manually finding the item, shift-click looting it and then opening inventory to equip. Step #2 is the real problem since half the time you end up selecting either a mob or a guildie.

Is it possible to programmatically open a corpse you have selected?
08-20-07, 04:26 PM   #4
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Trefane
Is it possible to programmatically open a corpse you have selected?
NO.

Best you're going to manage is turning off auto-loot and moving the loot frame for the selected item under the cursor for fast looting, or closing the loot box if the target item isn't shown. The player still has to sift thru the boddies manually.
08-20-07, 04:29 PM   #5
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Tekkub
NO.
Is it just me or we can feel the pain of thousands of crying souls lost in the darkness of never-ending torments in that answer ?
08-20-07, 04:54 PM   #6
Trefane
A Murloc Raider
Indeed, it's exactly the kind of sound I would expect to hear from the contents of my soul bag. Thanks for the responses though.
08-20-07, 05:39 PM   #7
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

But now that you mentioned this I think it would be nice to have the build-in UI provide a way to "keyboard-select" dead targets. It could be something like shift-tab that would cycle through dead units just like regular tab cycles through enemy units.

Worse is when you kill a couple dozen mobs on the same spot it's sometimes impossible to loot the ones at the bottom of the pile. Or that time Vazruden died just underneath Nazan so that you could not loot the letter
08-20-07, 05:47 PM   #8
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kaomie
Worse is when you kill a couple dozen mobs on the same spot it's sometimes impossible to loot the ones at the bottom of the pile.
Uh, that was "fixed" last patch. I've certainly had an esier time with piles than before. Doesn't help for this issue though, since the bodies aren't being completely looted.

However, I had another thought. These items are party loot (everyone gets one), so what's the issue? Everyone just loots everything and equips the weapon they will use. The items go away anyway, and raiders don't generally fill up their bags with grey items dropped along the way... seems like the simple solution to me.

Is it wrong to expect that a batch of high end raiders don't have 7 free slots on them?
08-20-07, 05:54 PM   #9
BlackPanther
A Fallenroot Satyr
Also the items aren't soulbound so if you pick up several different weapons and someone failed to get theirs, because it despawned too fast or because they had to go to their tank spot, you can trade it to them.
08-20-07, 05:56 PM   #10
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Uh, that was "fixed" last patch.
Whoops missed it sorry
so what's the issue?
The issue is not how or what to loot, it's merely to be able to find the corpse in the mess around it including other corpses, living mobs and party / raid members. Once you managed to find the spot that is actually mousing over the corpse I agree you are good to go and loot however you want to.
08-20-07, 08:30 PM   #11
Trefane
A Murloc Raider
Yes, this is loot with no restrictions, everyone can grab one and it can be traded, but that doesn't work well in practice. You're on a short timer and certain players will need to loot their specific item while others are still fighting on top of it. If anyone fails to get the item they need before the 60 second despawn the attempt is likely botched.

/tar [item] will select the corpse you need, it's just the dang click to open the item that is troublesome.
08-20-07, 08:36 PM   #12
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Watch the mouseover unit name... if it's an unwanted corpse turn off autoloot. If the player opens loot on that corpse, close the frame. Reenable autoloot when the mouseover goes away. End result: right click a bunch, unwanted targets aren't auto-looted.

*edit*
Though the items are not bound, they are unique, so the player still only need 7 slots free. Still seems to me the simplest solution is "loot em all and sort it out later"... especially if you're on a timeframe here. Run in, auto-loot till you find your item, get out of the way of the other loot whores.

Last edited by Tekkub : 08-20-07 at 08:40 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Simplifying Kael'thas