12-11-07, 07:34 AM   #1
dnstrance
A Murloc Raider
Interface : Huge Problem

A little months back, I used to be able to download any pre-made UI from here and not have a problem.
Now I try to install a new UI, and it's not working. By this I mean, when I put the new WTF folder included in the .zip/.rar file, and put the interface folder - I launch my game, and my UI looks exactly like I had it before without counting new mods that were in the folder of the premade UI. It looks like all of my mods keep the same settings even though there's a new WTF folder.
I figured the first UI I tried was bugged, so I tried a couple of more including Photek and other "known" ones, and it is not changing from what I had before.

Can someone please help me;
Thanks in advance.
12-11-07, 08:25 AM   #2
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by dnstrance
AI put the new WTF folder included in the .zip/.rar file, and put the interface folder - I launch my game, and my UI looks exactly like I had it before without counting new mods that were in the folder of the premade UI.
What instructions are you following? I have never seen any Addon installation instructions that mention the WTF folder. I know there are troubleshooting instructions about the WTF folder, but those instructions serve a different purpose.

In essence an installation is done by extracting zip files into one or more subfolders (that is/are contained within the zip file you download) under C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns. For example, extracting MetaMap's dowloaded zip to the above location will create subfolders named C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\MetaMap, C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\MetaMapBKP, etc.

And after installing, logon to WOW, choose your character, and click Blizz's Addon button. You may want to Enable All. You may need to Load Out of Date. Then logon with your toon. To keep it simple, test just one addon (and don't touch that WTF folder ).

Last edited by hot rats : 12-11-07 at 08:28 AM.
12-11-07, 08:25 AM   #3
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Some updated addons you need to clear the wtf folder for them. If not they will reset everything and sometimes not work.. Not sure if this is your problem or not but maybe?
12-11-07, 08:29 AM   #4
dnstrance
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by hot rats
What instructions are you following? I have never seen any Addon installation instructions that mention the WTF folder. I know there are troubleshooting instructions about the WTF folder, but those instructions serve a different purpose. .
This is not about an specific addon - this is about custom made UIs that you can download directly from here.
12-11-07, 08:36 AM   #5
dnstrance
A Murloc Raider
This is an example.

I am trying to get this for example:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/full10682.jpg

After putting the new WTF/addon folder, and launch my game: this is the end result
http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4425453xl9.jpg

Last edited by dnstrance : 12-11-07 at 08:53 AM.
12-11-07, 08:43 AM   #6
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
This is not about an specific addon - this is about custom made UIs that you can download directly from here.
From http://www.wowwiki.com/UI_FAQ/AddOns:
{
A "UI", "AddOn" or "Mod" (the terms tend to be used interchangeably) is anything that provides "Modifications" or "Adds On to" the original base User Interface as supplied by Blizzard.
}

I do not understand . What is the URL to the installation instructions you are following (for custom made UIs that you can download directly from here) ?
12-11-07, 08:52 AM   #7
dnstrance
A Murloc Raider
This is one http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-HalsUIv8.html

And sorry re-check post #5, there was a typo.
12-11-07, 08:55 AM   #8
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
This is an example.

I am trying to get this for example:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/full10682.jpg
The above is a .jpg file, which is a graphic. All UIs are composed of many different graphics.

How and why did you choose the above particular .jpg?
12-11-07, 08:58 AM   #9
dnstrance
A Murloc Raider
It.s an example of what 99% of the people who have downloaded that UI get after they did the installation guide.

Even the author of that UI, looked @ my WoW/WTF/ folder to see if they were correctly set-up and he said yeah.
12-11-07, 09:02 AM   #10
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
This is one http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-HalsUIv8.html

And sorry re-check post #5, there was a typo.
Thanks, got it.

Note that the http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-HalsUIv8.html
instructions tell you to:
{
Backup your Fonts, WTF, and Interface folders. Delete the originals.
}
but I do not see any instruction about putting that backed up WTF folder back. I do see the intructions tell you to:
{
Re-install any additional mods from your backup Interface folder.
}
And that is done how I mentioned above (the sentence that starts with "in essence").

Personally, I think http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-HalsUIv8.html has some really crappy installation instructions. You need to clarify with the author of that addon .
12-11-07, 09:06 AM   #11
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
It.s an example of what 99% of the people who have downloaded that UI get after they did the installation guide.

Even the author of that UI, looked @ my WoW/WTF/ folder to see if they were correctly set-up and he said yeah.
The author of that addon is the only one who knows what he or she hath wrought. IMO, it is that author's responsibility to ask such questions (not you). And I think that author should use some other forum than this one ... .

You have my sympathy .
12-11-07, 09:06 AM   #12
dnstrance
A Murloc Raider
Yeah;
I followed every step of the installation guide, but it doesn't work.
My Ui does not change regardless of what UI I try to install.

Photek UI doesn't working for me either.
12-11-07, 09:18 AM   #13
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
Yeah;
I followed every step of the installation guide, but it doesn't work.
My Ui does not change regardless of what UI I try to install.

Photek UI doesn't working for me either.
Here are the basic steps:
1. Download the .zip file.
2. Start | Run | Explorer (assume this is a Windows PC) and navigate to where that zip file was downloaded.
3. Start | Run | Explorer ( a second one) and navigate to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface. If a folder named Addon does not exist then File | New | Folder.
4. In #2's Explorer, right click the downloaded zip file and choose Extract All.... In resulting Extraction Wizard, click next and you will be prompted to extract to a directory. Overwrite what is there with "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns" (omit the quotes). Click next and then click cancel or done.
5. In #3's Explorer, drill down to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns and verify another folder underneath that Addons folder has been created by step 4 (see my metamap example).
6. Remember to check Blizz's Addons button (as I wrote above).

The rest of the steps (written by that author) may very well be needed for that specific addon, but that addon's author is the only one who can help you. I think the author's cursory check of a rather complex WTF folder is insufficient

Last edited by hot rats : 12-11-07 at 10:02 AM.
12-11-07, 09:30 AM   #14
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
From that addon's instructions:
{
Copy contents of Hal_v8 into your WoW directory.
}

I am afraid the above use of "WOW" is colloquial. A better set of installation instructions would have used a well formed path, such as "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft".

However, I do not know whether this author's use of "WOW" really does mean C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft, or whether "WOW" means some other folder.
12-11-07, 09:46 AM   #15
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You probably have multiple mis-named folders now is my guess. From that one screenshot I'm also guessing that you have been moving folders and files while the game is running? If so... that's bad.

Read the FAQ at the top of the page. It has pictures which can explain better than we can. I will say though that the author of the compilation should be fielding support questions for their compilation.

If you still have problems posting a screenshot of say, your folder view, would be most helpful.

12-11-07, 10:31 AM   #16
hot rats
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Gemini_II
You probably have multiple mis-named folders now is my guess. From that one screenshot I'm also guessing that you have been moving folders and files while the game is running? If so... that's bad.
That could be it! If I remember correctly, Blizzard has a sitcky post on their Support forum. That sticky post has instructions about "flattening" (i.e., clearing out or emptying) the contents WTF, Cache, and Addon subfolders. By following that sticky, you will be re-creating a default World of Warcraft installation. For example, after following that sticky you will need to re-type your account name (just as you initially did when you first setup World of Warcraft ).
Unfortunately, World of Warcraft is down at the moment for scheduled maintenance, so getting http://us.blizzard.com/support/index...2316&gameId=11 to load is next to impossible (at this time ).

Originally Posted by Gemini_II
If you still have problems posting a screenshot of say, your folder view, would be most helpful.
Yep. Screenshots of the folders under C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns, C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface, and maybe C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft are likely to be the ones that can reveal more details.
12-11-07, 10:48 AM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
hot rats, a lot of compilations include the WTF folder so that the person downloading doesn't have to mess with layout to get it set up the same as the person that put it together. This isn't anything new.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-11-07, 12:11 PM   #18
Heartfelt
A Kobold Labourer
Is there a way you can post the steps you've followed? If we can see what you've done, we might see where you have made a mistake.
12-11-07, 12:15 PM   #19
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
IIRC, Vista (which is what you seem to be using) has a folder system that typically causes problems with Compilations like this. I can't remember where I read about this (as it was some time ago), but I do remember it coming up on the O-Boards before.

Also, right click the actual WTF folder and check the read/write properties and make sure both are no locked. Common problems with AddOns not Loading/Saving their variables can be due to an inaccessible WTF folder. One way to determine this is to backup your WTF and clear the "active" WTF folder out, log-in (with addons in the Interface folder), reload your UI (/reloadui should do it), Log Out (completely), open your WTF folder and see if there's saved variables in there. If there -aren't-, that means the game isn't accessing that WTF folder for some reason.

Double check your WTF folders nested folders for correct spelling (Account name should be in CAPS, Make sure of Server spelling being correct, as well as Character). Use the same method as above to make sure of what the game is "writing" for folders, so copy the text from the Server folder & whatnot to make sure you don't miss any uncommon characters (like servers with a ' in the middle of them).

Last edited by Taffu : 12-11-07 at 12:19 PM.
12-11-07, 12:51 PM   #20
Napzter14
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
So wait;
Make sure the WTF folder is not checked as "read-only" or that is checked "read-only" ?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Interface : Huge Problem