08-04-08, 03:49 PM   #1
Doyal
A Murloc Raider
Premium Member
Play sound when tracked node appears on minimap

When tracking herbs, mines, or treasure, i want to play a sound. With riding crop and mithril spurs, you can cover ground fast when doing a gathering pass over a zone. But at that speed, nodes appear and disappear very quickly on the minimap, and you can miss them. Is there any event that can be hooked that says a tracked resource is in range? And then play a sound?
08-04-08, 03:54 PM   #2
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Dunno about an event, but I guess you could calculate the distance between your char and a nearby node, and trigger a sound if it's under a set value.
08-04-08, 03:57 PM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16554
08-04-08, 04:20 PM   #4
Doyal
A Murloc Raider
Premium Member
Oh poo

Thanks for the links. I see others have done a bit of thinking on this and found that Blizzard doesn't provide any support. The only other way i can think of is using a complicated mechanism to enable some simple image processing. By pulling out the image data from the bounding box of the minimap, at 5 or 10 hertz, it's possible to look for the yellow color and shoot out a sound when found. But this would be a separate app, not an add-on. Variations in screen resolution could be accomodated via xml config file with the origin and extent info of the minimap bounding box.
08-04-08, 04:25 PM   #5
Freki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

As mentioned in the other thread, there was an idea that I believe someone made into a mod in which they would move the minimap over your cursor and scale the minimap so small that all the tooltips would be on the cursor. Not sure if this would still work but it's worth looking in to.
08-04-08, 04:53 PM   #6
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

You can scale the minimap like this:

MinimapCluster:SetScale(0.1)

My only guess for the cursor would be to use GetCursorPosition() and then using :SetPoint(x, y) to the coordinates recieved with GetCursorPosition().

Last edited by Cralor : 08-04-08 at 04:56 PM.
08-04-08, 05:15 PM   #7
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I wrote an addon like this for myself about a year ago. I never released it to the public. It was crude, about as crude as you could get. After looking around (back then, don't know about now) there was not any Events, or functions which blizzard provides to ease this addon.

But, how I did it has already been mentioned. Shrink the map down and place it on the cursor, read the tooltips, and put it back. Every time this occurs (however often you wish) everything goes crazy. It's not easy to do everything quickly either, and most of the time the tooltip info never even came up; rendering the addon useless.

Until Blizzard gives the API or Events making such an addon easy (CPU and Code wise) I suggest abandoning the idea. Unless some other amazing method has been thought up which surpasses my skills.
08-04-08, 05:25 PM   #8
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
Do the dots have their own frame name? If so you could just make it make a noise if it's visible. Sounds too easy to be true though.

However, the aforementioned method can be used, not sure with the blizzard tracking, but at least with Cartographer and the likes that rely on the map (not minimap). That is to make a distance calculation.
08-04-08, 05:28 PM   #9
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Xolan View Post
Do the dots have their own frame name? If so you could just make it make a noise if it's visible. Sounds too easy to be true though.

However, the aforementioned method can be used, not sure with the blizzard tracking, but at least with Cartographer and the likes that rely on the map (not minimap). That is to make a distance calculation.
They all had unique names, seemingly random (though I'm sure they were not) but all different.
08-04-08, 05:32 PM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Doyal View Post
Thanks for the links. I see others have done a bit of thinking on this and found that Blizzard doesn't provide any support. The only other way i can think of is using a complicated mechanism to enable some simple image processing. By pulling out the image data from the bounding box of the minimap, at 5 or 10 hertz, it's possible to look for the yellow color and shoot out a sound when found. But this would be a separate app, not an add-on. Variations in screen resolution could be accomodated via xml config file with the origin and extent info of the minimap bounding box.
Nice idea about the imaging processing but I believe that would be considered a bot.

As others have stated in this and the other thread unless Blizz opens up the minimap there will be no way to get info about what pops on the map.
08-04-08, 06:14 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Blizzard doesn't want us to be able to do this, hence the "workaround". Which, I hear, is very unnerving to see it do while you're playing.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Play sound when tracked node appears on minimap