05-18-09, 07:55 PM   #1
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
PTR : Problems installing WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app

I posted this to the Mac Technical forums on the o.forums. Thought I'ld mirror this here in case people find it usefull.

Again admins I do apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. Would appreciate a move to the correct one if possible

I had problems installing the 0.0.1.8874 → 0.1.2.9855 step of downloading and installing the PTR. I'm on 10.5.6 so I thought I would put this here in case this helps anyone out.

I downloaded the file "WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app" via a torrent file extracted from Blizzard's own downloader. I then run the Background Downloader.app program as it will preform a checksum check on the patch files you download (a good way of checking if the file you downloaded via a third party mirror is OK or not)

I run into problems applying it. When I would start up "Blizzard Updater.app" it would tell me it had a problem with a localistion file. Attempts to open up "WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app" meet with failure - no file was loading up. Starting up the Launcher it would download a small 3.1 MB wow-patch.mpq file.

Oh dear !

Time to open up Console.app and have a look at the logs to see if there was anything I could fix.

A ha !

I found this message :

([0x0-0x8f08f].com.blizzard.BNUpdate[851]): posix_spawnp("/Applications/World of Warcraft Public Test/WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer", ...): Permission denied
There's a permissions error with its executable file ! To the Terminal we go !

Code:
cd /Applications/World of Warcraft Public Test/WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app/Contents/MacOS/

ls -l
Outputs :

total 6992
-rw-rw-rw- 1 myusernameisprivate admin 3579116 19 May 03:23 Installer

OH DEAR !

Isn't the permissions meant to have an "x" in it somewhere to denote that it is executable ? Let's check ! Let's list the permissions for something we know opens & launchs just fine. Like say TextEdit.

Code:
ls -l /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS
Outputs :

total 528
-rwxrwxr-x 1 myusernameisprivate admin 267744 24 Sep 2007 TextEdit

A ha ! The fix is elementary my dear Watson! Open up the terminal and type in the following line :

Code:
chmod +x /Applications/World of Warcraft Public Test/WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer
I have a habit of running that line several times just to be sure.

Now you should be able to run "WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app" without any problems. It should open the Launcher within the
"World of Warcraft Public Test" folder and continue the install process automatically.

I hope you've had fun listening to me ramble on on how to fix my PTR installing problems. Any problems please ask.

PS I also did that trick where you change the permissions of all the files in the "World of Warcraft Public Test" folder using the Get Info box and the cogwheel if that helps anyone
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 05-18-09 at 08:05 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » PTR : Problems installing WoW-0.1.2-enUS-patch.app