09-19-10, 12:57 AM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hotel Information for BlizzCon 2011 (was 2010)

I made up a little map for all of you:

I was at the Marriott for the last couple years (but only because Blizzard was paying the freight). Dolby has been staying at the Hilton. Those are both nice because they are literally right beside the convention center. They are also, however, pricy.

I know that a few of the UI Community have stayed at Stovall's Inn for the last couple years, and say it's really nice, a lot more reasonable in price, has free internet, but is a few minutes walk to the center.

I know MentalPower has stayed at the Anabella at least once, he seemed reasonably happy with it. I think he moved over to Stovall's for the next couple of years, hanging out with Esamynn

RedLion - Cogwheel and his wife stayed there one year, they said it was okay, but it has changed management since then, so no real idea on it

Sheraton Park Hotel – Another one that is really close to the convention center, don't really have any info on it though, don't know anyone who has stayed there (I mean, I probably do know people that have stayed there, but I don't know, ya know?)

Clarion Hotel - Same as Sheraton

The second year I went, I stayed at Cortona, it's reasonably priced, rooms are basic, but clean. However it doesn't have internet in the individual rooms unless you pay extra. It does have internet access in the 'common areas', I believe. (I don't really recommend this one so much. It's 'okay', but that's pretty much all it is. Folks haven't been really happy with it).

As you can see by the map, there are tons of hotels within a fairly close distance, but the above listed are the ones that immediately come to mind because I either have direct experience with them, other members of the community have stayed there and told me about them, or they are really close.

The hotels that Blizzard has arranged group rates with are listed on their BlizzCon Travel page.

If anyone else has good info about hotels I don't already have listed, feel free to post about it, I'll add it to the list.

Also, as a reminder: Anyone that is going to BC is welcome to add my cell phone number to their list of numbers, since I tend to be the 'central hub' for everyone to keep track of where everyone is, what's going on with the UI community, where we're meeting up next, etc. and so on. Just PM me.

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-25-11 at 11:14 PM.
09-19-10, 03:11 AM   #2
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can actually also go to Google Maps, search for Anaheim Convention Center, then click on the map icon to get a popup, then click "search nearby" and put in the word "hotel".

That causes Google maps to show you a list of all known hotels that are within the viewable region of your map. The links given contain reviews, price estimates and other information.
09-19-10, 04:39 AM   #3
Dainton
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
You can actually also go to Google Maps, search for Anaheim Convention Center, then click on the map icon to get a popup, then click "search nearby" and put in the word "hotel".

That causes Google maps to show you a list of all known hotels that are within the viewable region of your map. The links given contain reviews, price estimates and other information.
Direct link: http://maps.google.com/maps?near=800...el&hnear=&z=15
09-19-10, 05:01 AM   #4
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Dainton View Post
Awesome, I was wondering how to extract the link.
09-19-10, 06:25 AM   #5
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I stayed at the Sheraton last year. It was very nice.

Great rooms, a nice little area to grab some snacks and even hot breakfast sandwiches in the morning.

Plus they have a killer steak house right next store, which is where me and my friend ate on the first day after Blizzcon (:

The walk wasn't bad at all, maybe 2 blocks. I would definitely stay there again if I had the chance.
09-19-10, 08:04 AM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

I'm staying at Best Western Raffles. It right across the road from the Cortona Inn.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
09-19-10, 02:20 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Meh, should have known you guys didn't need this. Ah well, nothing wrong in trying to be helpful, right?
09-19-10, 02:55 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Keep in mind that some of these places may be all booked up already, or close to it. BlizzCon is only about a month away. So, if you don't have a room yet,

GET ONE!

PS- hubby and I stayed at the Hilton the last time we went, was very nice and we got to see the cast of The Guild and Jay Mohr+wife in the lobby/elevator. This year, we'll be staying at the Hampton Inn. Haven't heard anything about it, but since it's in the Hilton family (and we most always stay at Hampton Inns anyway), we don't expect to be disappointed.

/edit: doh! we're staying at the Doubletree. But it's also in the Hilton family, so should be good.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 10-05-10 at 03:05 PM.
09-21-10, 07:49 AM   #9
ezrac
A Kobold Labourer
Thanks for the information, very helpful, although I'm not staying at one. I'm staying at a vacation rental I got from this site called MetroFlats.com. I'd recommend it for anybody that still (for whatever reason) does not have a place to stay.
09-21-10, 05:23 PM   #10
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by ezrac View Post
Thanks for the information, very helpful, although I'm not staying at one. I'm staying at a vacation rental I got from this site called MetroFlats.com. I'd recommend it for anybody that still (for whatever reason) does not have a place to stay.
That's a pretty cool site, thanks for sharing!
10-05-10, 07:38 AM   #11
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Meh, should have known you guys didn't need this. Ah well, nothing wrong in trying to be helpful, right?
No need to apologise m'lady

Just better to have this all in one place I guess XD
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-25-11, 10:53 PM   #12
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
*bump for BlizzCon 2011*
05-25-11, 10:57 PM   #13
Ither
A Firelord

I'm at the Marriott--

Looks like Blizzard gave us a link to hotels in the area with discounts for BlizzCon-- I took a gander just for the hell of it and some of them are pretty much done for on those days. Just forewarning.
05-25-11, 11:00 PM   #14
Kaydeethree
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ok, now that it's been bumped:

Two years ago I stayed at the Red Lion. Just across the street. Reasonable price. Would go there again, but...

I signed up for the Hilton HHonors program, so I try to stay with them. The Hilton itself right next to the convention center is too expensive (not really worth it), so last year I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Garden Grove, a 5-10 minute walk (depending on how fast you walk). Free wireless. Great service. Going to stay there again this year.
05-25-11, 11:02 PM   #15
Ither
A Firelord

Indeed-- Marriot bill this year is $1700 for the week.
05-26-11, 03:15 PM   #16
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn last year. Its more of a motel than a hotel but the room was nice.

The free breakfast was good enough for me. The free wifi was rather overloaded though and we had to move closer to the main office to keep from getting disconnected, but I heard all the hotels with free wifi weren't much better.

As for distance to the convention center, there's only a few hotels that are closer so its better than most the cheaper ones. My fat ass would prefer some place closer this year though.
05-26-11, 05:48 PM   #17
Ither
A Firelord

Better act fast Arrow; rooms are becoming hard to get the closer you get to the convention center.

I know Marriot is steep; even with my discounts (I have rewards from them for business), I wasn't about to stay way the hell out there.

This is going to be so much fun this year!
05-26-11, 07:45 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
(as mentioned last year...) We stayed at the DoubleTree last year. A block or so away, and was very nice.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-26-11, 07:51 PM   #19
Ither
A Firelord

Hah Seerah-- I have to be pampered by room service, laundry service, and massages in my room.

I can't stay at no double tree ROFL
05-26-11, 09:48 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well 3 years ago we stayed at the Hilton and saw the cast of the Guild and rode in the elevator with Jay Mohr and his wife.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Hotel Information for BlizzCon 2011 (was 2010)