05-23-07, 07:09 PM   #1
CustomFark
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thumbs up Mazzle and Mac

firstly i apologise for starting a new thread, i couldn't remember where i saw the issues with getting Mazzle to work on a mac.

I have finally got Mazz working on my mac, i noticed ppl had been having the same prob as me, whereas once you'd enable out of date addons etc, and gone to log in, WoW had a fatal error and crashed.

I followed the instructions to update the ace addons, although u have to use MacAceUpdater and you'll need to add all the lib addons in the !StandAloneLibraries, as the .bat files are windows only and the updater doesn't see the addons if there is no .toc file in the directory.

Following this add the clean install of Mazzle into your interface/addons folder, telling it not to replace anything. Log in and load out of date addons, although disable the 3 Bongos addons.

I stress disable the 3 BONGOS addons, their the ones causing the fatal errors on Macs, i have tried this on my G5 and my intel Macbook and although with no bongos the action bars are awful (plus the blizz_ui sits on the minimap) i'm sure until a fix is worked out by Mazz and the rest of the Beta guys you could find a replacement action bar mod to tide you over!

Hope this helps....

[edit/add]

When i say working, i mean that it no longer errors out, so at least u can see ur toon and the wonderful world around him/her, rather than the wow error reporter and finder

Last edited by CustomFark : 05-23-07 at 07:20 PM.
05-23-07, 07:24 PM   #2
FelixTeCat
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thanks

<3 Thanks for the info
05-23-07, 07:56 PM   #3
Teerameesu
A Defias Bandit
Bongos2

I got rid of the errors by updating the Bongos to Bongos2, but unfortunately this broke the Mazzifier's ability to set up the bars
05-23-07, 10:20 PM   #4
Ironshield
A Murloc Raider
I can confirm on a MacBook Pro (newish).

Run the MacAceUpdater (hosted on code.google.com).
Download the new Bongos2 and toss out your old bongos folders (erh back up - yeah that's what i meant!).
Login to toon selection screen and click Add Ons.
Enable All, then uncheck old bongos (if you left them in the folder instead of tossing them out per above) so that you load up only the new ones.

You will find a bunch of frames over the center of the screen (mostly Bongos) but have no fear!...

Mazzify but ask for a complete configuration - you may have to drag the mazzle window around to get where you need to click and avoid the many frames in the way. Step through the normal config in Mazzle.

When your UI comes back, there should be minimal things left to tidy up, namely the bongos 2 items. These will not be as shiny and awesome as you are used to, until Mazzle has a chance to tinker with the UI and its new relationship with bongos 2. However, with a small amount of effort (middle button/scroll wheel clicking) you can hide any bongo frames you don't want to see, drag the ones you do want to see to wherever you want to see them, and Lock them in place.

If you don't know how to lock them down, right click on the Mazzle Options (top right - may be hidden if your fubar is hidden!) and pick Bongos Option Menu, then Bind the keys as you want and Lock the bars in place.

Done. go back to playing!

If for any reason, you feel this is not as nice as it was with Mazzle and Bongos working in harmony, re-log in and this time disable all Add Ons then play in the default UI -- about 15 mins of that and you will LOVE the current 'harmony' of mazzle and Bongos2 !! = )~

No really, it is totally doable to play as is - and it gives us something shiny to look forward to when Mazzle can get some time to re-connect his UI to Bongos(2).

{Azgalor, Alleria}
05-24-07, 12:46 AM   #5
taku biru
A Defias Bandit
Thank you for the info! I'll be messing with bongos2 tomorrow. Interesting note: This only happens to me when I log onto a mazzified priest. Tested it with a 65 Priest in Shattrath and a 2 Priest in Azuremyst.
05-24-07, 01:35 AM   #6
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You guys are getting crashing errors because of Bongos? Can other people replicate and verify this?

If so, that could be quite problematic. I do not plan to update Bongos2. My branch does paging in a very different way, and all of the layouts are dependent on that structure.
05-24-07, 02:39 AM   #7
CustomFark
A Fallenroot Satyr
Argh, just woke up and completely forgot what i was going to say this morning, i think theres a conflict between old bongos and clearfont2! Although i came up with this gem at something past ridiculous o'clock. I will recreate the error that crashes WoW, this is pretty simple i just have to load Bongos, and i'll paste the error txt here.

[edit/add]

After further examination its not the main Bongos addon causing the error its one of the 2 dependent bongos addons (settings and options)

Last edited by CustomFark : 05-24-07 at 02:47 AM.
05-24-07, 02:58 AM   #8
CustomFark
A Fallenroot Satyr
Its the same error everytime, and i believe now that the only part of Bongos thats causing the error is the _ActionBars part, which is obviously a slight problem

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 05-24-07 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Long cumbersome mac error unnecessary
05-24-07, 04:08 AM   #9
CustomFark
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ok the latest version of Bongos (not Bongos2) works, it doesn't cause the fatal error, the only problem now is Bongos was one of the addons that Mazz edited to suit his purpose and i don't know what was done, so if anybody out there knows let me know so i can sort it out!

The version of Bongos is 757, its available from this site (search for bongos2, check through the previous versions) and it was updated on 7th May 2007.
05-24-07, 07:18 AM   #10
Zakriel
A Murloc Raider
I've copied my post from the bugs thread below the "-----"... I think Bongos might be the issue. When, perchance I was able to get it to load with the original Bongos, it would have the main Bongos bar stretch all the way across the screen and off both sides. You could not move it side to side, but could move it up and down. You could not edit it to reduce the number of colums (I think the pop-up edit box was somewhere off screen). There was another bongos bar that was not affected, that you could edit.

My hypothesis is that Mazzle config is crapping out when it tries to move/format that particular bongos bar and some how leaves it in a place that the ui just doesn't like. Then upon ui reload it errors out and crashes the game.

This makes sense to me, in that if you just config addons when you install mazzle and leave formatting and buttons alone, you can get in (that willl also show you where the bongos bar ends up). If you then try to do either the formatting or button placement, it either won't do it at all (Mazzle will just sit there) or it will error out on reload.

I haven't tried either Bongos2 or the updated bongos yet. I'll give that a whirl as well.

-Z-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by cryingwolf
Need some guidance to fix this until Mazz can update this great UI. I try to use it, but when it gets to the final bit of loading it crashes wow. The error seems to be related to resizing. I'm on a Mac and have my res set to 1680x 1050 wide. Any help will be apreciated as I can't game without Mazz's UI anymore!
I'm having similar problems (Mac and same aspect ratio). Even with a clean install of Mazzle, WTF Folder and then updating ace libs. Thus far I've tried just a clean install of Mazzle, Clean install of Mazzle and rebuild of WTF folder, and Clean install of Mazzle, rebuild of WTF folder and updated Ace files (used the java updater, MacAceupdater and tried it manually).

You can de-select the button config, keybinding config and layout config and it will complete, otherwise it will not complete mazzlefying or will crash at the very end of ui loading.

If you do Mazzify one by one, this allows you to get some things configged, and you can go in and manually change the layout, though some things are bugged like the bongos bar (it spans the entire screen and you can't edit it (edit box falls off screeen and you can't move the bar side to side, only top to bottom). So still unusable for the most part.

Even if your able to get the basic add-on config to go, bugsack is filling with all kinds of errors and you probably get "fatality" errors on ui load. I've not yet tested different screen resolutions to see if this is the root cause.

There are some Macs able to get it working (see below the fold in this forum) but I'm currently not one of them.

Going to try a couple of things:
  • Different Screen Resoltutions - Tested didn't work
  • Clean install (inc. WTF) beginning with running WOW ui first, then installing Mazzle, then installing ACE updates. - Tested didn't work
  • Wait patiently for a tested update to be posted

Edit... added error from WOW's error reporter
=========================================================
Assertion Failed!

App: /Applications/World of Warcraft/World of Warcraft.app
File: /Volumes/F2/usrbuild/xb/build/WoW_6692patch2.1.0/WoW/Source/Mac/../../../Engine/Source/Frame/CLayoutFrame.cpp
Line: 806
Error Code: 0x85100086
Time: 2007-05-23 16.40.26 EDT

Assertion: scale

---------------------------------------------------------
-Z-
05-24-07, 08:13 AM   #11
CustomFark
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well you were getting the same error as me, although i was never fortunate enough to be able to get in and see the bongos bars streched out.

1 thing i now remember, i have been getting an error about 80% of the time prior to patch 2.1, but since the previous patch, i forget what the error was (i just used to send to Blizz, i wasn't to worried coz it never stopped my from getting into the game). Its now got me thinking what was change in the patch prior to 2.1 that only affected Macs, OpenGL support, they started to implement this back in the previous patch and finished doing so in 2.1.

I will try and test as to whether this is the case a bit later on today and post by tmw morning, but if anyone else has the time and inclination to switch back to DirectX and see if it makes a difference, carry on and let us know.
05-24-07, 08:38 AM   #12
Flandaris
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I downloaded the macaceupdater ... where might I find the instructions on what to update, cause the list is rather extensive when I first launch the aceupdater.

Thanks!
Jeff

(on a mac)
05-24-07, 08:59 AM   #13
Ironshield
A Murloc Raider
Mazz,

I can confirm now two PC users that are having the same crash error. It is absolutely limited to the Bongos add ons that come with Mazzle. Although, I did see above that it is likely one of the add ons and not the core or whole suite of Bongos that come with Mazzle.

Here are the tested facts I can contribute:
  • The error message listed above occurs whether on a Mac or PC.
    The error does not occur if you install Bongos2 and remove the Bongos folders that came with Mazzle. (Posted above is a note also that you can install the publicly available Bongos and it works as well.)
    The crash occurs once the blue loading bar is complete as you are logging in to your toon - so everything has been loaded and you are just about to finish looking at the parchment like intro screen after you selected the toon and clicked to log in and you are done reading the nice random message from WoW.
    If you enable all add ons except the bongos add ons (that came with Mazzle) you do not experience the crash - but the UI looks wonky!
    The error occurs no matter which faction or class you use.
    The error occurs no matter which screen lay out you use - I used the newer bongo bars from wowinterface.com to get into game and switch layouts and then get out and put the orig bongo bars that came with Mazzle back (removing the newer publicly avail ones) and the error occurred again.
    Once I had the newer versions of bongo bars set up (naturally, you have to set them up once you log in although there is some level of persistence of which spells where in which bongo bars and the key bindings seem to retain although they do not display which key is where), and locked the bars in place, I could not get the Bongo Bars Options frame to display again and it would only display text in the chat window.

The initial prognosis then -- and this is a rather uneducated hypothesis -- is that the bongos packaged with Mazzle is not playing well with the new patch 2.1 changes - whether directly or indirectly. There are some frame windows that do not pop up anymore ("Mazzle UI" in grey letter bottom right corner no longer launches anything, and Bongo Bars Options as mentioned above).

Hope that helps you Mazz -- if you need someone to pore over code, just let us know!

= )

{Azgalor, Alleria}
05-24-07, 09:02 AM   #14
Ironshield
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Flandaris
I downloaded the macaceupdater ... where might I find the instructions on what to update, cause the list is rather extensive when I first launch the aceupdater.

Thanks!
Jeff

(on a mac)
Launch it - hit Refresh List - there is a second (?) button in the menu bar that says something to the effect of select the ones installed (there is a left column of installed versions and a right column of current versions for each add on - if you have a version installed, it is installed on your machine, if you don't it isn't) - hit that button and it should put a check in the check box for all the add ons that you have installed - then click the first button (?doing this from memory at work) which should say something to the effect of install selected add ons.

I found it floundered the first time I used it, but that it worked well the second time. Make sure you check the back up folder it creates against the contents of the add ons folder as if you do it twice, it seems to move some of them out of the add ons folder and not update them and you have to put them back and then update again!

= )

{Azgalor, Alleria}
05-24-07, 09:51 AM   #15
Flandaris
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
nice ... I updated just the chartographer stuff, which was my primary concern, and all the maps now work the way i was used to!

I'm in the process of doing the bongos update.

Thanks for the tips!
05-24-07, 10:09 AM   #16
Flandaris
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Awe ... I DO NOT like Bongos 2 ... much prefer what comes with Mazzle.

Finding the Bongos 2 much more difficult to configure, and I like the way on the other version tha you can hit the "F" key to toggle between ranged & melee ....

Am I over reacting?
05-24-07, 10:13 AM   #17
Flandaris
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I guess my biggest issue with it ... is, once you move them to where you want them, how do you lock them, to be able to use them??
05-24-07, 11:47 AM   #18
Ironshield
A Murloc Raider
Flandaris,

To lock them in place: /bongos lock

= )

{Azgalor, Alleria}
05-24-07, 12:52 PM   #19
Flandaris
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
figured it was something stupid easy .. just didn't know what it was ... I'll mess with it again!

Thank
05-24-07, 01:05 PM   #20
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Ironshield
Mazz,

I can confirm now two PC users that are having the same crash error. It is absolutely limited to the Bongos add ons that come with Mazzle. Although, I did see above that it is likely one of the add ons and not the core or whole suite of Bongos that come with Mazzle.

Here are the tested facts I can contribute:
  • The error message listed above occurs whether on a Mac or PC.
    The error does not occur if you install Bongos2 and remove the Bongos folders that came with Mazzle. (Posted above is a note also that you can install the publicly available Bongos and it works as well.)
    The crash occurs once the blue loading bar is complete as you are logging in to your toon - so everything has been loaded and you are just about to finish looking at the parchment like intro screen after you selected the toon and clicked to log in and you are done reading the nice random message from WoW.
    If you enable all add ons except the bongos add ons (that came with Mazzle) you do not experience the crash - but the UI looks wonky!
    The error occurs no matter which faction or class you use.
    The error occurs no matter which screen lay out you use - I used the newer bongo bars from wowinterface.com to get into game and switch layouts and then get out and put the orig bongo bars that came with Mazzle back (removing the newer publicly avail ones) and the error occurred again.
    Once I had the newer versions of bongo bars set up (naturally, you have to set them up once you log in although there is some level of persistence of which spells where in which bongo bars and the key bindings seem to retain although they do not display which key is where), and locked the bars in place, I could not get the Bongo Bars Options frame to display again and it would only display text in the chat window.

The initial prognosis then -- and this is a rather uneducated hypothesis -- is that the bongos packaged with Mazzle is not playing well with the new patch 2.1 changes - whether directly or indirectly. There are some frame windows that do not pop up anymore ("Mazzle UI" in grey letter bottom right corner no longer launches anything, and Bongo Bars Options as mentioned above).

Hope that helps you Mazz -- if you need someone to pore over code, just let us know!

= )
I apppreciate your post, but I think you're making many assumptions that make the conclusions your reach completely incorrect. Many, if not most people are running my bongos just fine, including myself. I don't think there is anything inherently going on that conflicts with 2.1, as you seem to conclude. Moreover, many observations you had after installing newer version of Bongos don't tell us anything. Many things in the MazzleuI code rely on changes in my version of Bongos.

To be honest, everything you describe seems to indicate you got an error while Mazzifying. All the layout stuff you described are completely consistent with that. Furthermore, corrupt bongos settings
could cause a really long bar. The size of the first bar would simply have to be incorrectly set to something large, for example 120, which I could imagine happening if there's an error or an unusual bug. What I would suggest is that you try to recreate the original LUA error that happened when you were mazzifying with the original bongos. That's really the place to start.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 05-24-07 at 01:08 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Mazzle and Mac