05-04-08, 03:19 AM   #1
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Updating Addons when author is absent?

Please can someone clarify what our options are when there is a popular addon that needs bug fixes but the author is absent?

The specific case here is that GFW_HuntersHelper has some show-stopper bugs that users are suggesting fixes for but the author (Gazmik) is not currently contactable. This means we cannot incorporate these fixes into the addon officially and cannot get help tracking down the remaining bugs.

Now I must stress that Gazmik has not declared that he is no longer supporting the addon, he has just not replied to posts by users here on WoWinterface or emails sent in the past month.

I would *like* to create a branch of this Addon under my own name but crediting Gazmik so that we can incorporate the cumulative fixes, but I appreciate that the code to date is the property of Gazmik. I don't feel capable of creating a whole new addon from scratch, I was just hoping to either "caretaker" the addon till he gets back or update a "tribute" copy, again till his return.

Admins, please can you tell me what my options are here before I tread on any toes as I'd like to do the correct thing and help maintain this excellent addon.

Thanks in advance.
05-04-08, 04:49 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What I've done in cases when the mod isn't officially abandoned is use the "Upload Patch" facility if the author has enabled it.

You don't run the risk of treading on any toes that way since the author himself has implicitly given you permission to post patches to his code.

Upload Optional Patch is the link you want for Hunter's Helper specifically.

You can choose to upload just your edited files (in which case the users will need to have the original and overwrite with your patch)
or if you want to make it extra newbie friendly you can upload the whole package including your fixed files.

It will also make it easier for the original author to find and review your changes in one location instead of going through the comment section for bits and pieces.

Last edited by Dridzt : 05-04-08 at 04:52 AM.
05-04-08, 07:00 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Dridzt has it exactly correct. That is the precise reason we made that an available option. Use the link he provided.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
05-04-08, 08:05 AM   #4
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Thanks you two - much appreciated. I'll get to work right away.

How do I notify other users of the Addon that there is an optional patch? I presume I have to wait till it is authorised first.
05-04-08, 08:12 AM   #5
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There is an updated version of GFW_Hunter's Helper At his website, just incase you didn't know.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
05-04-08, 08:28 AM   #6
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

The version of HuntersHelperUI in that package seems to be the same as the one here in WoWInterface.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Updating Addons when author is absent?