08-22-08, 01:23 PM   #1
Darrendil
A Defias Bandit
Spartan and ultimate rogue ui´s

Hi there...Im rather new to all the interface environment and needed some help with the addons and huds... I downloaded metahud and pitbull, the configuration of pitbull gave me some trouble cause as some errors would occur (auras and stuff) so i uninstalled it, plus i was just happy with the interface that metahud provided.. The thing was that i dont really know why but i didnt feel quite content with it either (Metahud). so i kept looking around till i reached to Spartan and Ultimate Rogue. Both seem like really nice ui´s, im a bit doubtfull in what regards to ultimate rogue as its configuration requires for you to name some folders with: your character name, your server, and your user id... (just asking for the password was too direct :P) no really... im a bit afraid that it might contain some kind of keylogger (tho many ppl seem to be using it so i guess it wouldn´t have one)..
Is there any way for me to have the spartan setuped for my war and the rogues ultimate for my rogue without having to be changing the addons folders?

Thx a lot for the help
08-22-08, 05:58 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You wouldnt need the addon folders to be changed since you can enable/disable specific addons for each character at the character select screen. the addon button on the bottom left side at character log in will let you select each toon on that realm and enable/disable mods for that one alone. So you can enable spartan and nothing else for warrior, and disable spartan and enable all others for the rogue.

Dont be worried by the renaming of folders as this is normal for a UI compilation since they have their layouts saved in the WTF folder. You can install them without the WTF folder but youll have to manually configure everything the UI uses.

Normal folder renames are Account name, realm(server) name, and character name. So long as the files dont have an executable (and if they are hosted here they wont.) then you have nothing to worry about.

The tricky part of using 2 different custom ui's is that, if you didnt set up them up personally (manually) then youll have 2 sets of WTF folders for various parts of the UI. The ones for your character name wont be much of an issue. But if there are shared variables (the servername folder) then youll be overwriting one set for another. Potentially causing problems between the different UI's. You could in reality manually copy files from the wtf folders individually but if the compilations use the same mods there will again be overlap and issues.

Keep in mind you can also Use 2 sets of WTF folders but youd have to copy/paste from a second location (such as your desktop) each time you changed characters which is its own headache as you would have to log out completely each time.

Though if i recall correctly Spartan doesnt have WTF folders and is completely self-configuring. So in your particular case you can go ahead and rename the folder, install both sets of mods in your addon folder and you should be ok. If im off on the spartan thing then youll have to make some decisions on how to proceed.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 08-22-08 at 06:04 PM.
08-25-08, 11:04 AM   #3
Darrendil
A Defias Bandit
Thx a lot for the information.. I just installed ultimates rogue and configured it for both my rogue and warrior.. It was a little pain to get it to work correctly, but finally i managed it.. .. Is it worth it for me to download spartan and use it instead of ultimates rogue for my warrior? Also, is there anywhere where i can get the hud with al the addons. In the official page the link seems to be broken... Thx again..
08-25-08, 11:28 AM   #4
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Darrendil View Post
Thx a lot for the information.. I just installed ultimates rogue and configured it for both my rogue and warrior.. It was a little pain to get it to work correctly, but finally i managed it.. .. Is it worth it for me to download spartan and use it instead of ultimates rogue for my warrior? Also, is there anywhere where i can get the hud with al the addons. In the official page the link seems to be broken... Thx again..
the pain of configuring is being kept aside normally by using the in the package available wtf folders.

UI's like spartan, don't use these since these are installed as an addon, and not a pack of addons combined.

Almost all UI's here will contain the WTF folder, these will also be made when you login on your char. You can be sure of the non-keylogger part, if you just copy all the available lua's to their respective directory instead of just renaming the contained dirs.

the only thing the WTF folder is basically used for is storing macros/keybindings/and all other settings you may alter in game to an addon, and if you got 1 char configured the way you love it, you can just copy that chars directory and rename it to any of your other chars and presto... you got all settings exactly the same, then you only need to adjust a few tiny addon's and such, coz of things like the pet stuff if you have a hunter, or when you made it on a hunter, the stancebar for druids/rogues/warriors, but most of the basic layout settings are easy to copy to your other toons.

It's like the profiling options most addon's have, only a tiny bit different in setup.

the only thing i wouldn't advise of using from a pre-made package, is the config.wtf file you'll come across in the WTF folder, since you can easier use your own in it, since it contains all settings regarding to username/server, video options, etc, and some packages are set to really high textures while some peoples machines might not be able to actually use these.

otherwise, settings like textures/unitframes/raidstuff/ all other graphical and non graphical stuff that makes the UI the way it is, are all stored inside the WTF and there's absolutely no harmfull files in the UI's on this site. Believe me, i tried a ****load of them, everytime looking for something new and better, and in the 2.5 years using these custom made UI's not a single one contained a keylogger.

as far as the spartanUI concerned, if you only want to use it for your warrior, disable all UI related addons for him or else it'll be a real mess, same for your rogue, if you wanna use the rogue UI be sure to disable the spartan addon.

about the HUD, i would recommend ArcHUD, since most of my friends and guildies love it. I for one hate huds and just put the playerframe and targetframes just below my char so i can quickly see what is happening to my target and myself, withouth having a HUD in midcenter of my screen, besides, you got the unitframes anyways, so why use a HUD imho if you can easily place the frames where you want m.

if you want a really nice, all in one and light package, i would advise nUI, it contains everything you need, but isn't nearly as screen saving as spartanUI is.

if i may recommend a very usefull and screensaving UI, i would advise VulcanUI which is also findable on this site, its clean, and good for either a rogue or warrior.

If you have any questions, just throw me a pm and i'll try and answer them as truthfully as possible since this post is getting way too long now.

Greetz,

CM
08-25-08, 02:08 PM   #5
Darrendil
A Defias Bandit
Thx a lot for the tips, im just gonna try that nUI and see how it works.. from the pics it looks really nice... Once again thx .. Any future questions i´ll be sure to pm you :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Spartan and ultimate rogue ui´s