12-01-08, 02:59 PM   #1
Parflagush
A Defias Bandit
GetInventoryItemLink

I have created a custom addon that could give me links to items in other player's inventories (particulary party members), but it seems to be somewhat disfunctional. The addon uses the API function GetInventoryItemLink("unit", slotId). While this function seems to work fine when the unit passed is "player", it does not seem to work when passing in unitIds such as "target", "party1", "party2", etc. It simply returns nil when using other unitIds. I realize this probably changed some time ago as it has been ages since I have worked this addon, but I wonder if anyone can point me to some updated information.
12-01-08, 03:19 PM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not sure of this, but I think this is the kind of that that would be restricted by Blizzard itself. I can imagine them not liking it that you look into other people's inventory.
12-01-08, 03:30 PM   #3
VgerAN
A Cyclonian

As far as I've been able to tell, that function only works on "player", and "target" while the inspect window is open.
12-02-08, 09:03 AM   #4
Parflagush
A Defias Bandit
That's what I thought they might have done because it used to work. I just couldn't find any updated information on that. I'm sure there is a good reason for them blocking it, but since you can inspect anyone's stuff through the normal UI, I'm not sure what the difference is. I guess you have to have a mischevious mind to understand. My addon was just looking at party members equipment and spitting out random sayings for RP purposes. "Wow! That sure is a great [Unstoppable Force] you are using!", "Your [Breastplate of the Righteous] looks like it needs to be cleaned, Lancelot!". The funny part of this is I already had some error catching in there, so when it returns nil it says "Wow! That sure is a great bare hand you are using!", and "Your skin looks like it needs to be cleaned, Lancelot!".

Oh well. *sigh*

Last edited by Parflagush : 12-02-08 at 09:11 AM.
12-02-08, 10:36 AM   #5
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

"Your skin looks like it needs to be cleaned, Lancelot!"
That one made me lol

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » GetInventoryItemLink