07-08-12, 11:27 AM   #1
mikenowo
An Aku'mai Servant
Minimap disappears

Everytime I hit the 'M' key to open the main map the minimap disappears and I have to reopen it by clicking the "C" icon on the minimap toolbar. I don't remember this happening before but I can't find any option that may turn this off. Why does the minimap close/disappear when I open the main map and how can I turn that off?

07-08-12, 04:09 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by mikenowo View Post
Everytime I hit the 'M' key to open the main map the minimap disappears and I have to reopen it by clicking the "C" icon on the minimap toolbar. I don't remember this happening before but I can't find any option that may turn this off. Why does the minimap close/disappear when I open the main map and how can I turn that off?
I think this might help:

Carbonite has one map and it is either maximized (large, like Blizzards World Map) or minimized (minimap sized but NOT the minimap). Blizzard gives us three maps: The Minimap (found in the upper right corner of your screen), the World Map (the big map) and the Zone (sometimes referred to as the Battleground) Map. A technicality, to be sure, but it occasionally helps to use the correct terms when explaining something.

You don't have to click the Carbonite minimap icon to "re-open" Carbonites minimized map. Just hit the "M" key again.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

07-09-12, 01:09 AM   #3
mikenowo
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok I see what you mean. I was mistaking the small version of the main map as the mini map. I have now made the minimap dock on the top left of the main so I see it in either format, large or small.. BUT the prob I'm getting now is that when I click the checkbox on the minimap to make it 'fullsize' it gives me a nice size minimap on top of the main that I can see mining veins on etc, but after a bit it REVERTS to being small again (the checkbox uncheks itself =O). How do I 'save' or make the minimap stay in fullsize mode (i.e. keep the checkbox on)?

07-09-12, 12:20 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ok I see what you mean. I was mistaking the small version of the main map as the mini map. I have now made the minimap dock on the top left of the main so I see it in either format, large or small.. BUT the prob I'm getting now is that when I click the checkbox on the minimap to make it 'fullsize' it gives me a nice size minimap on top of the main that I can see mining veins on etc, but after a bit it REVERTS to being small again (the checkbox uncheks itself =O). How do I 'save' or make the minimap stay in fullsize mode (i.e. keep the checkbox on)?
No, there is only one Minimap, and that's the one that Blizzard gives us. As I posted earlier, the Carbonite map is either maximized or minimized. Using those terms in relation to the Carbonite map can alleviate a lot of confusion (at least for me ).

If you are going to have the maps merged why do you want the Blizzard Minimap docked and "full size" and taking over most, or all (depending on your Carbonite map size), of your Carbonite map? Just curious. If you want to see the Blizzard Minimap and the Carbonite minimized map all the time, you can either UN-merge them or offset the Blizz map using the offset functions on the Map Minimap page of Carbonites options.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to have the Blizzard minimap visible on the Carbonite minimized map (if the maps are merged) at all. This is my opinion, and as we know, opinions are like......... Well, everybody has one.

You can import Carbonites node data base from the "Guide" page in its' options. While it is certainly true that the Carbonite node data bases are anything but up-to-date, that can easily be remedied by using a node data base addon like GatherMate2 and its' data base GatherMate2_Data. While no current gathering addon shows its' nodes on Carbonites map (at least I don't think so), they do show on Blizzards maps, which you can access by: Holding "ctrl" to see the minimap in the Carbonite minimized map if the maps are merged, hitting "alt + M" to open the Blizzard World Map if you have Carbonite open automatically with the "M" key. Having the Minimap hidden inside the Carbonite minimized map makes absolutely no difference when you find an active node: the gold dot will still show (or, rather, appear to show) on Carbonites minimized map. If it is at a location previously unknown to Carbonite (and you gather/harvest the node), Carbonite will remember this location and add it to its node database.

I noticed the problem with the "Full Size" check box quite some time ago. I think it might be related to the differences in zoom available to both Blizzard and Carbonites maps. While the Carbonite map is capable of "infinite" zoom, the Blizzard Minimap only allows six(?) levels of zoom. For a good demonstration of this, just undock your minimap and let it hide in the Carbonite map. Then (if you have the Auto Scale option enabled) either choose a quest from your log that is very far away, or set a goto point on Carbonites map that is far away, and when the Carbonite map zooms out to show both the origin point (where you are) and the destination point (goto), hold the "ctrl" key to bring the minimap to the top, and look at the difference in map sizes. Do this along the route to your destination occasionally (or while out farming a gathering profession you have routed through Carbonite) and I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised.

How you have your Carbonite map set up is a personal choice. Mine (minimized map) is small, square (the map, not including the frame) and tucked into the lower left corner of my screen. It works for me. The way your Carbonite map is set up most likely works well for you, and at the end of the day that's all that matters. Unfortunately, I'm an opinionated old bas......... ummmm........ fart. Yeah, let's go with that.

My UI: Click image for larger version

Name:	Degra UI.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	7029

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

07-09-12, 01:18 PM   #5
mikenowo
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to have the Blizzard minimap visible on the Carbonite minimized map (if the maps are merged) at all.
Well the reason I have/want the minimap larger is that when I fly around looking for nodes I can use the large map to guide me to were the nodes CAN be, but only the minimap shows the blinking nodes that actually exist. This way I can guide myself and swoop in on real nodes. Once I'm above the blinking node I close the map, mine, then re-open and continue again . If the minimap is tiny doesn't show much area where the real blinking nodes are.

Btw, I'm probably an older even more opinionated passing of gas than even you are .. yar!

Okie, I looked into splitting the 2 maps and looks like thats what I prefer, to have the minimap always up where it used to be up top right and just toggle main map to view where I'm heading.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by mikenowo : 07-09-12 at 01:23 PM.

07-09-12, 06:40 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well the reason I have/want the minimap larger is that when I fly around looking for nodes I can use the large map to guide me to were the nodes CAN be, but only the minimap shows the blinking nodes that actually exist. This way I can guide myself and swoop in on real nodes. Once I'm above the blinking node I close the map, mine, then re-open and continue again . If the minimap is tiny doesn't show much area where the real blinking nodes are.

Btw, I'm probably an older even more opinionated passing of gas than even you are .. yar!

Okie, I looked into splitting the 2 maps and looks like thats what I prefer, to have the minimap always up where it used to be up top right and just toggle main map to view where I'm heading.

Thanks for the info.
Well, like I said:
Having the Minimap hidden inside the Carbonite minimized map makes absolutely no difference when you find an active node: the gold dot will still show (or, rather, appear to show) on Carbonites minimized map.
The wonders of strata (layers).

Also:
The way your Carbonite map is set up most likely works well for you, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
But, it never hurts to try new things (well, almost never).

You should really play around with the X and Y offsets I mentioned before, when you have the time and inclination to. You can have the maps merged and actually see the Blizzard Minimap outside of the Carbonite map depending what offsets you use. Basically, you could merge the maps, play around with those offsets, and you could actually have the Blizzard Minimap sitting directly above (or below, or next to) the Carbonite minimized map on your screen (if you have the room).

If the minimap is tiny doesn't show much area where the real blinking nodes are.
No, but if you are flying, the minimap gets larger inside the Carbonite minimized map as you get closer to the ground, so it becomes much more noticeable as to where the active (blinking) node actually is. Well, that and the active node "sparkling" on the ground.

As to age, I'm 58 and turn 59 in a month and a half or so. I know there are active WoW players older than me, but, to the best of my knowledge (see my signature), I've never actually "talked" with one.

07-10-12, 08:30 AM   #7
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Well, not "talked" perhaps, but if you've seen my posts...

I use nUI. It puts the minimap in the middle of the "dashboard" (lower part of the screen) and the minimized Carbonite map in the "info panel" (right end of the dashboard). This works very well for me, as I can see both while flying the route looking for active nodes.

07-14-12, 11:25 AM   #8
cateye
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have a similar problem of the blizz minimap sizing itself down to almost nonexistant BUT only when I'm inside an instance and the carbonite small map to just the height of the title bar.

I resize my carbonite small map constantly, and never use the main map.

I have the blizz minimap docked underneath the small carbonite map (personal preference, and I'm older than Jeffy so there!). I move the small/minimaps around my screen a *lot* depending on what I'm doing, and don't like having it parked anywhere.

Like I said, though, the small blizz minimap problem ONLY happens inside instances, and only on one of my two accounts.

I need to be able to see the floor maps and where my other party/raid members are; the carbonite small map doesn't really work as well as the blizz minimap for that.

It just started happening about a year ago and I have tried every setting I could think of, but nothing seems to work.

EDIT: Ok, so I dl'd the most recent update, and when I went OUTSIDE the entrance I was testing in, unchecked /minimap /full-size, it now seems to hold.

I guess I know for sure next time I raid.

If anyone has any insight on this, I would highly appreciate it!

Last edited by cateye : 07-14-12 at 11:31 AM. Reason: fixed problem?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Minimap disappears