02-06-07, 02:34 AM   #1
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Button Layouts and Keybinding Suggestions

Use this thread for any button layout related suggestions or discussions.

Please be as specific as possible. Most importantly, always mention:
  • The name of the layout you're talking about
  • What aspect ratio you are running at
  • All relevant information about your character (class, level, talents, etc.)

Note: As of version 1.0, most BC spells and talents are not yet incorporated into the layouts. Unless you are suggesting specific ways to incorporate them (the next post should be a good example), there's no need to post that they're missing. Once I do another button layout review, you can start making those kind of posts.
02-06-07, 02:36 AM   #2
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Suggested Druid Layout

Note: This was originally posted by Nandy.

I did a little playing with my druid layout now that I hit 70.

Caster form
1-7 Honestly, i think all the healing should be on its own bar. 1-5 works great imo.
1 Rejuv
2 Lifebloom
3 regrowth
4 Healing touch(rank 13)
5 Tranquility
6 Healing touch(rank 4) Down ranking still works well!
7 healing touch(rank 6) Down ranking still works well!

z x c
z Cyclone - Having CC close to movement keys for fast access is great.
x Root - See cyclone comment
c Fiery fire - I like this placement

Alt 1-4 Much like the healing, I like having my nukes I use alot togather.
Alt 1 Attack
Alt 2 Moonfire
Alt 3 wraith
Alt 4 Starfire

Bear form
1-5 Put them in more of a tanking order.
1 Growl
2 Swipe - - One of the most used bear ablities. Specially for tanking.
3 Maul - Used quiet a bit for a rage dump.
4 Lasurate - New tanking skill, works quiet well.
5 Demo shout

Z X C
Z Bash
X Feral Charge
C Fiery fire

Alt 1-4 I put all my situational ablities. Aoe taunt, bear heal, etc.
Alt 1 Enrage
Alt 2 Challenging shout
Alt 3 Frenzied regen
Alt 4 Open if not feral tring to keep this gernal.

Catform
1-5 I removed rake as it is pretty well worthless, and we REALLY need a spot for Maime.
1 Mangle/claw
2 Shred
3 Ravage
4 Pounce
5 Maime

Z X C
Z Ferocious Bite
X Rip
C Fiery fire

Alt 1 -4 I didnt change these.
Alt 1 Stealth
Alt 2 Dash
Alt 3 Tigers Fury
Alt 4 Cower

I replaced root with barkskin. I moved Hurricane to Alt c, mostly because its under barkskin and you almost never use it without barkskin. Pretty well the only thing I changed on the left side. The catbar could really use another button for rake if it can be added.

If you like I could put screen shots of the layouts. I think this fits the new ablities in nicely.
02-07-07, 11:01 PM   #3
doc309
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
minor tweak...

my main's a hunter. i mouse more than keyboard.
i'd love to see the pet bar reversed so there is less mouse travel between huntersmark/pet attack/arcane(aimed)shot.

btw man i love the absolute easy and functionality of this UI.

guess now i can give up trying to work with the discord ports... lol

Doc
02-07-07, 11:35 PM   #4
Kamishimi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Lopervelt
The HUD Is so small!! I was fiddling around with all the stuff for an hour and couldn't figure out how to make it bigger. I'm stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff so please make the explanation simple .
First of all, you're posting in the wrong thread of this forum. Please actually read the forum guidelines before you just post random questions in the first thread that you see. Second, if you had read the instructions for installation or even the forum guidelines you would see that it directs you to read the in-game FAQ before you come and post here, in any thread. Please read the FAQ first, thoroughly, and if you still have a question that was not answered there then come ask it here in the right thread.

MazzleUI v1.0 Coming Soon to an Interface Near You!
http://mazzlefizz.wowinterface.com/
02-08-07, 04:51 AM   #5
tep
A Kobold Labourer
Holy Priest Spells

I read in the FAQ to post any "missing" spells.

This is my first post, like ever - so I hope this is the right place to put it.

I don't see a few higher level heal spells on the action bar, or in Clique.

Circle of Healing
Binding Heal
Prayer of Mending (might be there, but I don't have the spell until lvl66)
Holy Fire

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the massive effort on this compilation. I underestimated you gnomes!
02-08-07, 09:34 AM   #6
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by tep
I read in the FAQ to post any "missing" spells.

This is my first post, like ever - so I hope this is the right place to put it.

I don't see a few higher level heal spells on the action bar, or in Clique.

Circle of Healing
Binding Heal
Prayer of Mending (might be there, but I don't have the spell until lvl66)
Holy Fire

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the massive effort on this compilation. I underestimated you gnomes!

Sigh.. did you read the first post on this thread???? it clearly states that some of the BC content like SPELLS are not implemented yet.. please oh please read the threads and Faq's.......
02-08-07, 11:47 AM   #7
Dingleback
A Murloc Raider
Warlock layout suggestions

Hey all,

Thanks for making such a great UI. I thought I'd share my button layouts with you guys. After spending a little while tweaking it out to the way I like, I thought maybe you'd like to see a different perspective on button layouts.

The setup:
standard keyboard
logitech mouse with 8 buttons. (standard 3 buttons with scroll wheel, 3 more small buttons on the spine and 2 thumb buttons)
level 64 gnome warlock -- heavy affliction PvP build
Since I have so many mouse buttons, I like to bind the spells there that I need to access very often or very quickly. I also like to use the mouse to look and turn in PvP.

Here's how my mouse is setup:

Mousebutton1: Left click -- no change
Mousebutton2: Right click -- no change (I usually save this for autoattack)
Mousebutton3: Middle click -- no change
MouseButton4: proximal thumb button. I bind this to toggle Autorun
Mousebutton5: distal thumb button. I bind this to my CC abilities on all characters (where applicable)
Mousebutton6: top spine button. I usually bind this button to ranged attacks (with an equipped weapon) on all characters, and bind chord-key uses of this button to racial abilities or trinkets.
Mousebutton7: middle spine button (right below the wheel). I usually use this one for emergency spells as it's the easiest to reach while moving or doing something weird with either hand or the mouse.
Mousebutton8: bottom spine button. I use this for utility abilities that are class-specific and often used.

Here's how I group up the spells I use and how I access them:

Group1: Damage Spells
Shadowbolt Alt-1
Shadowburn Alt-2
Immolate Alt-3
Incinerate Alt-4
Searing Pain Alt-5
Unstable Affliction 4
Soul Fire Alt-6
Wand - MB6

Group2: Instant cast Curses and DoTs
Curse of Agony 1
Corruption 2
Siphon Life 3
Curse of Shadows 5
Curse of Elements 6
Curse of Reckelssness 7
Curse of Tongues 8
Curse of Exhaustion Ctl-MB6

Group3: Drains and Channeled Spells
Life Drain MB8
Soul Drain Alt-MB8
Mana Drain Ctl-MB8
Rain of Fire 7
Hellfire Alt-7

Group4: Trinkets
ZHC -- Alt-MB6

Group5: Crowd Control/emergency
Death Coil MB7
Howl of Terror Alt-MB7
Escape Artist Ctl-MB7
Fear MB5
Banish Alt-MB5
Seduce Ctl-MB5

I also have an assortment of potions, food and whatnot that I usually access via mouse clicks but I suppose I could technicaly map them to ctl-numbers...

anywho, just my $0.02

cheers,
dingle
02-08-07, 02:34 PM   #8
Gemminie
A Fallenroot Satyr

Oddly enough, I also have a gnome warlock who's currently 64 (mostly Demonology, some Affliction). I'm still working on a MazzleUI layout for this, my current highest level character. Over the couple of years I've been playing this character I've settled on a layout I like, using either the default UI's action bars or, more recently, Bartender3:

1: Attack (I'm just used to having "1" be the "attack" button on every character, even casters who don't attack often.)
2: Death Coil
3: Immolate
4: Corruption
5: Drain Life
6: Shadow Bolt

Now, I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, meaning that numbers 7 and up are seriously separated from the left-hand keys, so I put nothing combat-related over there.

Shift-1: CoW
Shift-2: CoA
Shift-3: CoR
Shift-4: CoT
Shift-5: CoE
Shift-6: CoS

(Look, it spells "Wartes!" OK, that's not really a word.)

Shift-Q: Life Tap
Shift-W: Shadow Ward
Shift-A: Banish
(Ctrl-A: Banish, Rank 1, for a shorter Banish)
Shift-S: Use Soulstone
(Ctrl-S: Create Soulstone)
Shift-Z: Use Healthstone
(Ctrl-Z: Create Healthstone)

My mouse is just your basic wireless optical mouse with two buttons and a scrollwheel, so no fancy moves.

Left-click: normal settings
Right-click: normal, though I turn on click-to-move
Middle-click: wand (though sometimes I temporarily remap it for something quest-related)
Shift-Middle-click: fishing!

Everything else I click the icon for. It's not really that hard.

Anyway, so now I have to set this up using Bongos. You can tell what I'll be doing tonight.
02-08-07, 02:40 PM   #9
Cryptonic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Shamanistic Rage is missing on both layouts for shamans.
02-08-07, 02:55 PM   #10
meio
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Lethalweapon
Looking for an update on the hunter keybinds nor raptor strike, wingclip, steadyshot, mongoosebite, and silencing shot are put on the bars also no room for them, again another good reason for zhunter.
I'm not sure about the steadyshot and siliencing shot as my hunter isn't big enough to have them yet... but for the melee actions have you hit 'f' to switch to the melee bar?
02-08-07, 03:17 PM   #11
washe2
A Defias Bandit
Great Work Mazzle..

Its impressive the job you have done..

I play a shaman and its one of the classes that uses a lot of action bars..

I tried the 2 pre configured setups and they are a bit different what im used to.

Customized for me but I use a bit more off buttons I actually use 6 action bars.

I noticed that Astral Recall, Earth Shield, Earth and Fire elemental totem are missing in both of them...

I tried to use the buttons where the earthstone and trade skill are located but it dissapears after the first click (dunno if its a feature or bug) and I cannot add another set of bars due that I only see 2 action bars in bongos (I know it has 10 because I use bongos)

I have a very small issue I need more buttons than you interface currently provides.
02-08-07, 03:58 PM   #12
TigerHeart
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by washe2
I tried the 2 pre configured setups and they are a bit different what im used to.

As any setup you have not created yourself will always be . You cannot please everyone! Most of the setups were done to appease a 'best fit' setup. What is the most logical flow from one to the next. While this may not be the same for everyone, the larger issues are the primary focus here I believe.

Customized for me but I use a bit more off buttons I actually use 6 action bars.

Wow, that is quite a few bars! The one nice thing about the MazzleUI though, is it places all of your tradeskills and other out of combat actions on that menu that pops up, which you mention next...

I noticed that Astral Recall, Earth Shield, Earth and Fire elemental totem are missing in both of them...

I tried to use the buttons where the earthstone and trade skill are located but it dissapears after the first click (dunno if its a feature or bug) and I cannot add another set of bars due that I only see 2 action bars in bongos (I know it has 10 because I use bongos)

I have a very small issue I need more buttons than you interface currently provides.

The buttons where your hearthstone/tradeskills/etc is actually called the 'context menu'. It is designed strictly for things to use out of combat, such as mages conjuring food/water, perhaps any non-combat pets, mages summoning portals, and that kind of thing. Of course you are welcome to put anything on it, but because of it's 'out of combat' nature, you generally have a specific purpose to open it, thus it's default behavior is to close after you click (except on mages, because of the conjure food/water options).

That said, it can be changed, but is not recommended (read the FAQ and look through the MazzleOptions for more information :-P). The Context Menu is primarily designed to be used out of combat. It will still work in combat, but is not designed for that purpose.

One thing that is also mentioned in the FAQ somewhere, is the Context Menu has two pages. If you mouseover one of the buttons, and scroll your mousewheel, it will page between them.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 02-09-07 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Inaccurate information
02-08-07, 05:18 PM   #13
AstralWolf
Premium Member
Premium Member
Regarding your druid mappings, and probably more generally for all classes, it would be ideal if you could create some default macros and keybind with those. Doing this allows you to sqeeze even more funcitonality into fewer keys due to situational macros. Just a simple example that I use to put rip/pounce and ferocious bite/shred on the same keys:

/cast [stealth] Pounce; Rip

/cast [stealth] Ferocious Bite; Shred

I guess this begs the question, can addons create/modify user's macros and/or is there some alternate way that these types of macros could be incorporated into Mazzle?
02-09-07, 08:49 AM   #14
Dingleback
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by ndroo
Hi I tried reading what you said and FAQs but can't really figure it out. I have a rogue and shaman and in both cases I chose one of the pre set layout, but there arent enough buttons for all my skills. Could someone please tell me how I can see extra buttons to put spells in? I tried /bob and go on Viewing tab and adding bars visible but they still dont show

tnx
Hi Ndroo,

there are a lot of menus to surf through, but I'll give you a quick summary of what I did to change my bar sizes, layouts and keybinds.

Everything is accessed through the BongoBar addon options.

Click the MazzleUI menu and on the left side select the group that says "actionbars". On the right side a set of addon options will come up. Scroll down a bit and click the button that configures BongoBars.

A new window will come up that will allow you to configure bongobars. From there, uncheck the box that says "Lock Bar positions". Your action bars will now be dimmed out, but a number will appear on each bar. Depending on your class, some bars will only have 1 skill/spell in them. Right click each bar to configure the options for that bar. In this way you can move them, and change the size. If you want to add spells to a particular bar, you;re going to have to make sure the bar is resized first to accomodate the number of spells you want to add. Then re-check the box that locks positions. Now you can drag spells from other bars or from your spellboook. You may have to lock/unlock a few times and change things areound to get the effect you want, because once each bar is resized, Mazzle/Bongos will reset the bar positions.

To set keybindings, select the bindings option from the Bongos menu. Then mouseover the spells you want to bind and click the button you want to bind. 2 things to consider are that 1) the button that appears in the window will reflect the first key bound to the spell (but you can have up to 2 different binds per spell. Hit escape while mousing over to clear all keybinds if you want your new keybinds to appear in the spell window. The other thing to consider is that when binding a key, you may inadvertently unbind something else. A message will appear in the chat window to tell you you've done so.

good luck!

-Dingle
02-09-07, 09:47 AM   #15
Kierrkian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Merrickk
What file stores your button layouts? I want to make a backup before I start monkeying around.

I was swapping back and forth between my prior UI and this new Mazzle one (while i work out mazzle). When I went back to my previous one (correctly using the rename folder method please no flaming), my trinity bar settings were all jacked.

Not sure if there is a store location for the button setup (what spells are where) that is outside of WTF, Interface, or Fonts folders.

Thanks in advanced.
The spell locations are stored server side once you mazzify.. so if you changed to a different PC or changed back to your old UI then the button/spell placement WILL be messed up. There is no location stored locally that you can save.. sorry.. I use 3 different computers and want different button layouts for 1 of them since its a Laptop. Saving a profile under bongo's will help if you stick with MazzleUI.
02-09-07, 10:15 AM   #16
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by TigerHeart

Bongos, as it says in the FAQ, and on the description for the compilation here, is heavily modified from it's original. It now allows you to create as many, or as few bars as you require. This is also permitted in the original bongos, however there were quite a few design 'flaws' we saw, so I basically rewrote portions of the code to 'fit' better. I believe mazzle made a few changes as well, but I have not looked back over them yet.

The basic logic here with it though, is if you look in the bongos configuration, the last bar will be hidden. Unhide it, and you will have your 'pool' of empty buttons. Resize this down to what you need, and it will create another hidden bar with all of the extra unused buttons from then. This sounds a little complicated, so let me give an example:

If you have (for the sake of argument, we will say there are 100 total possible 'ids'):
bar1: 10 slots, 2 pages (ID 1-20)
and
bar2: 10 slots, 1 page (ID 21-30)

This means you will have a hidden bar3 with a size of 70 (ID 31-100). Bar1 is taking up 20 id's for it's 2 page bar, and bar2 is taking up another 10. If you unhide bar3, and go into it's config menu, and drop its size down to 5, and 4 pages then you will now have:

bar2: 10 slots, 1 page (ID 21-30)
bar3: 5 slots, 4 pages (ID 31-50)

and you will have that hidden bar4 now, with size of 50 (ID 51-100).

There is one caveat of how this works however, it re-indexes all buttons if you resize any bar except the last unhidden one. This means, if you resize say, bar1 to only have 1 page, you will now have:

bar1: 10 slots, 1 page (ID 1-10)
bar2: 10 slots, 1 page (ID 11-20)
bar3: 5 slots, 4 pages (ID 21-40)
bar4: (hidden, ID 41-100)

The same goes for resizing the 'size' of the buttons, if we instead took bar2 down to 3 slots:

bar2: 3 slots, 1 page (ID 21-23)
bar3: 5 slots, 4 pages (ID 24-43)
bar4 (hidden, ID 44-100)

Why is this important? Spells are stored by location based on this ID! So, when you do this, all spells on all bars that have 'moved', will have different spells as well. Think of it as each bar is a sliding 'window', and the spells are actually fixed in place. As you size down a bar, the spells stay in place, but the bars move to a different location.

Thus, once you have changed the layout, you will be required to redo your spell locations as well, just as a forwarning.

This may seem a little 'technical', and well, it is, but if you really wanted to get your hands dirty and mess around, you can. There's nothing forcing you to use the default layout! I myself use my own layout as well (partially because of the restriction of not having any/all of the new BC spells in yet). Worst comes to worst, and you don't like what you come up with? Simply remazzify your button keybindings and buttons, and you're good as new!

-Tigerheart

That is all completely inaccurate. I have made a TON of changes in the last two versions of the UI to compensate specifically for the convoluted stuff like that, which happened as a result of the way you added the paging mechanism. Don't get me wrong the paging mechanism was very necessary, but all the bizzarre consequences that weren't handled were extremely problematic.

Anyway, There is no big mega-bar anymore. Simply use the number of bars slider and it will create bars or delete bars appropriately.
02-09-07, 10:21 AM   #17
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by washe2
Great Work Mazzle..

Its impressive the job you have done..

I play a shaman and its one of the classes that uses a lot of action bars..

2.0 skills aren't yet included. See the known issues list. Those buttons disappear b/c that's the intended behavior of the context menu. See the FAQ. In short, please read the documenation.

And finally, Bongos provides the maximum number of action buttons you can have in any UI, which is 120.
02-09-07, 10:23 AM   #18
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ndroo
I have used the bar slider and added two buttons, but now there is a black square background behind some parts of my bars.. how can i remove that?

Also, when I add an icon to a bar, I cannot remove it then.. doesnt allow me to drag it off the menu. Any ideas?

You're in editing mode. The background is there so you can drag bars or see hidden bars. Either uncheck the "Edit buttons" option from the MazzleUI fubar menu or click 'Lock Bars' in the Bongos options.
02-09-07, 10:27 AM   #19
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ok, this is a button layout and suggestion thread. It's not for asking button-related question. In fact, I'm going to go back and delete all the questions now. If you find that yours has been deleted, just re-post in the appropriate thread.
02-09-07, 11:59 AM   #20
zat
A Kobold Labourer
I was wondering if a key was un-bound and set aside for a team speak or ventrillo speak button?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Button Layouts and Keybinding Suggestions