11-05-10, 04:40 PM   #1
aoide
A Kobold Labourer

Looking for Participants for Thesis Study

I’m conducting a research study for my Masters thesis regarding choices players make on their avatars in World of Warcraft and to look at the viability of using a chatter bot for an interviewer. I’m looking for people to volunteer. During the study, you would participate in an interview via the chatter bot and then answer some questions about the interview process. The whole process should take no more than 30 minutes.

If you think you might be interested and you are over the age of 18, please go here to complete the consent form, access instructions to for the study, and answer the evaluation questions: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DKHHG8M.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Also, please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think may be interested.

Kate Rosier
DM Masters student
11-05-10, 04:47 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Why do people keep posting, claiming to be doing some type of study, and want information from gamers? What does it matter what avatar I choose and why is that so important? Wouldn't your time be better spent on cancer research or something that is important?
11-05-10, 05:01 PM   #3
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Why do people keep posting, claiming to be doing some type of study, and want information from gamers? What does it matter what avatar I choose and why is that so important? Wouldn't your time be better spent on cancer research or something that is important?
The words following your picture and the picture itself kinda explains your rant.
Merry x-mas to all the helpful people out there.
11-05-10, 05:28 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
By "avatars in World of Warcraft", I take it that she means your actual WoW avatars - your characters. Not the picture you select to be your forum avatar.

And our site rules still apply to threads where students are requesting help for any research they are doing. Whether you wish to aid them or not, whether you think their research is "important" or not. You still must be civil. Or not post in the thread at all.

Some researchers are social scientists.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-06-10, 12:17 AM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

My post was civil. I asked legitimate questions.
11-06-10, 01:17 AM   #6
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Well, I did it.

1. There is a character name asked, no server or passwords. So there is no risk of account stealing.
2. THe bot doesn't allow a copy - paste of the full interview. This means that no ones interview can be used in the thesis.
3. The bot sees the textbox in which we type, not as full answer. It sees everything up to a period as answer and then takes the following part as answer for another question.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Looking for Participants for Thesis Study