07-21-14, 04:00 PM   #1
Keltian
Premium Member

Premium Member
First impressions/feedback

I decided to check today and was pleasantly surprised that you’ve added WoW support to the new Minion app. I ran the app and it told me it was restarting to update. When it opened up again, it began detecting the WoW installation and pulling up the list of installed add ons. This all took about a minute or two. Then it found add ons to update so I clicked the update button. Wow, they all downloaded and installed fast. I noticed it downloads them all at one as opposed to the 3 at a time that the Curse client did. Since I have high bandwidth I really appreciate it but it may be necessary to allow users to have the option to limit the number of add ons downloaded at a time if they have a lower bandwidth connection. There has been an issue I discovered where it didn’t correctly match the add ons I had installed and replaced them with something else entirely. One was Auctionator, it replaced it with AI-Art - Auctionator. It also matched an add-on as FauxMazzle Beta, for that one I’m not sure which one it replaced. I’m not sure if it picked up all the add ons or not. It would help if there was a count at the bottom of the screen showing the number of add ons installed. I know it skipped the modules for Ackis Recipe List. Each of those is a separate add-on that needs to be updated on their own. It would help if it showed the all the add ons installed in the add-on folder while indicating the ones that are not being updated by Minion. That is a feature I found useful in Curse. I just wanted to end off by saying how happy I am to see an add-on updater with active Mac support. The Curse client still works but is no longer being supported so seeing Minion with Mac support is a relief to me as I am a heavy add-on user. Thank you.
Edit: Also, a refresh button to force Minion to recheck the add ons as well as an option to set how often it checks for new add ons would be really helpful.
Edit 2: I know that Minion integrates into ESOHead but I noticed that it didn’t do anything with Wowhead, it didn’t pick up the add-on at all. Are you guys planning to integrate Wowhead into Minion? It would be great because then I wouldn’t need to run the Wowhead client.

Last edited by Keltian : 07-21-14 at 04:09 PM.
07-21-14, 05:08 PM   #2
Keltian
Premium Member

Premium Member
Unhappy

After doing research on FauxMazzle Beta. I figured out the problem. It appears that FauxMazzle Beta is a UI pack and many of the add ons I had installed matched the ones in the UI pack. That means Minion replaced any add-on I had installed that is part of FauxMazzle Beta with FauxMazzle Beta. This is somewhat annoying as I now need to comb through the list of add ons from the UI pack to reinstall them separately. Until Minion stops attempting to replace some of my add ons with FauxMazzle Beta, I can’t use Minion.
07-21-14, 05:18 PM   #3
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the feedback. I have removed that UI pack from the AddOn DB Minion uses.

Please delete your minion.xml . You said you were running OSX so just open a terminal window and type rm ~/.minion/minion.xml and restart Minion. It will act like its new and start the re-detection process over.

Alternatively just right click "uninstall" the mis-detected AddOn and then re-install it from the "find more" tab. It will always come up with the correct one in the future if its installed using Minion.

Auctionator was mis-detected because it is marked as outdated on our site. We are working on a program to attract more authors to get their addons updated here too.

Originally Posted by Keltian View Post
Are you guys planning to integrate Wowhead into Minion? It would be great because then I wouldn’t need to run the Wowhead client.
Yes that is planned.

Edit: Also, a refresh button to force Minion to recheck the add ons as well as an option to set how often it checks for new add ons would be really helpful.
I believe there is a ticket for that in our backlog, I'll double check. I agree that would be handy.

Last edited by Dolby : 07-21-14 at 05:24 PM.
07-21-14, 05:25 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is going to be a problem for any compilation. After installing a compilation, closing and re-starting minion it should update the out-of-date addons. No need to "comb through the list".

Edit: The client side version checking will need to be done some other way for this to work as FauxMazzle will always show 5.4.0 installed version n.n.n on WoWI with the current mechanism (I'm happy to add a WoWI versioning pragma to the TOC).

It's a twist peculiar to compilations but should only be uber annoying to people with really slow speeds or restrictive DL allowances.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 07-21-14 at 05:48 PM.
07-21-14, 05:42 PM   #5
Keltian
Premium Member

Premium Member
There’s still the issue of Ackis Recipe List modules not getting picked up. Add-on packs are indeed going to be a problem for Minion as WoWInterface lists them as add-ons. It may be necessary for WoWInterface to create a new add-on pack category to separate them from add-ons and move all the packs over to there so Minion won’t do this again in the future. Then you could possibly update Minion to know whether someone is using an add-on pack or is just installing the add-ons separately and update them accordingly. Otherwise, you guys are probably going to have to keep updating Minion’s AddOn DB to keep add-on packs from getting on there and causing unintended problems.
07-21-14, 06:15 PM   #6
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
We have separate categories for addon packs (compilations) just some times they are uploaded to the wrong place. We just need to go through find and correct this.

Usually it will only match a compilation if the main addon is missing from our database because minion compares the directory and file structure to match something and a compilation should have a high mismatch rate than the real deal. So some of this needs to be fixed by getting authors to upload their work here and we are working on that.
07-21-14, 06:28 PM   #7
Keltian
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Usually it will only match a compilation if the main addon is missing from our database because minion compares the directory and file structure to match something and a compilation should have a high mismatch rate than the real deal. So some of this needs to be fixed by getting authors to upload their work here and we are working on that.
That’s odd because I only use 8 of the 30 add ons included in FauxMazzle Beta. If it has to do with an add-on missing that the compilation has, then the only add-on I have that could have caused it was Recount as it is included in FauxMazzle Beta but can’t be found as a stand alone on WoWI, only on Curse. I may need to switch to Skada. Again, it would be helpful if Minion could show which add ons it failed to match with WoWI.
07-21-14, 06:31 PM   #8
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
FauxMazzle is listed under both Beta and Suites categories. I guess I missundertood the difference between compilation and suite or is there one?

I don't want to derail the Minion conversation but I'm happyto ask for a category change for FauxMazzle if it will help.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » First impressions/feedback