09-07-16, 09:55 AM   #1
Nikita S. Doroshenko
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Can we get UI Assets from new Legion Companion Mobile App?

I'm playing on large HD screen and I love default WoW Blizzard UI, but it looks blurry on 4k screen with upscaling. So I wonder if it's possible to replace default UI textures with UI HD textures, like from new Legion Companion app?

If someone know how to extract assets from mobile phone applications, could you please extract them and post them on GitHub or any other place for download, please

Or maybe it's possible to ask Blizzard support for getting their UI in HD format, someone tried?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-07-2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	8813  
09-07-16, 06:48 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

You can typically (always?) just open an APK file (Android app format) as a ZIP archive and browse around for the assets. Most Android file viewer apps (maybe not the default one) should let you view your installed apps and copy the APK files onto your SD card or some other location you can access when you plug your phone into your computer via USB. Or, you can probably find the Legion Companion app on a third-party APK site and download it onto your computer.
09-08-16, 06:28 AM   #3
Thubz
An Aku'mai Servant

if ur good with photoshop etc u can also just run wow with console and extract the default textures and make them beter looking that way
09-09-16, 04:21 AM   #4
Nikita S. Doroshenko
A Cyclonian

Unfortunately extracted textures all in compressed .blp format and are in low resolution and bad quality.
It's pretty hard to increase textures quality from lower --> to higher definition for big retina screens.

A few experiments, but not so good :/

I wonder if someone already done some work by increasing UI textures quality to high definition one for big screens.
10-27-16, 07:22 PM   #5
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I wanted to bump this thread because the OP's wish has sort of been granted in 7.1.

The BUTTONS folder as one new image inside -- 128RedButton.BLP -- which is a very large set of red buttons. Now, these aren't the exact same red buttons used in the mobile app, they're slightly different, but the quality is very high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	128RedButton.png
Views:	395
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	8857
10-27-16, 11:23 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by sakurakira View Post
I wanted to bump this thread because the OP's wish has sort of been granted in 7.1.
The OP's wish was already granted. Someone just has to spend 5 minutes following the very easy steps I posted over a month ago. (I don't have or want the app, so I'm not going to download it just to extract the images for you.) Here they are again in a list format:
  1. Do either of these:
    • Copy the Legion Companion app's APK file from your phone to your computer. (#)
    • Download the Legion Companion app from a third-party website that provides APK files. ($)
  2. Rename the file from "whatever.apk" to "whatever.zip".
  3. Double-click the file to open it like any other ZIP file.
  4. Browse around to find the image files (they're typically in the "res" folder, then in one of the "drawable-####" folders inside that).
  5. Extract the image files from the ZIP file.

(#) Google has tons of tutorials to choose from on this topic.
($) Even if you think it's dangerous to install apps from these sites, you're not installing anything, nor running any program or code, for this procedure.
10-28-16, 09:53 AM   #7
nebula
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
The OP's wish was already granted. Someone just has to spend 5 minutes following the very easy steps I posted over a month ago. (I don't have or want the app, so I'm not going to download it just to extract the images for you.) Here they are again in a list format:
  1. Do either of these:
    • Copy the Legion Companion app's APK file from your phone to your computer. (#)
    • Download the Legion Companion app from a third-party website that provides APK files. ($)
  2. Rename the file from "whatever.apk" to "whatever.zip".
  3. Double-click the file to open it like any other ZIP file.
  4. Browse around to find the image files (they're typically in the "res" folder, then in one of the "drawable-####" folders inside that).
  5. Extract the image files from the ZIP file.

(#) Google has tons of tutorials to choose from on this topic.
($) Even if you think it's dangerous to install apps from these sites, you're not installing anything, nor running any program or code, for this procedure.
Almost. Similar to Hearthstone, you need UnityStudio (or some other Unity3d extraction tool) to pull the images out of the assets/resS files and convert them to something usable.

I'll upload a zip later tonight since I already extracted everything to get some of the higher quality mission assets.
10-28-16, 04:36 PM   #8
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Thubz View Post
if ur good with photoshop etc u can also just run wow with console and extract the default textures and make them beter looking that way
Nah you can't the resolution is set you can't just replace a texture with a high res one.
10-29-16, 02:19 AM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Nah you can't the resolution is set you can't just replace a texture with a high res one.
The resolution of the image assets only controls the detail of the texture, not the physical size of it. Since we're talking about the detail, I'll focus on that specifically and say it is indeed possible for most textures. I'm not sure if inline textures in text would behave properly, but normal textures load their images using coordinates defined as a percentage of the image dimensions. This means if a higher resolution image is loaded into a texture, it should scale properly with higher detail if possible. Keep in mind, the game will not load images larger than 1024x1024.
10-29-16, 02:52 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by nebula View Post
Almost. Similar to Hearthstone, you need UnityStudio (or some other Unity3d extraction tool) to pull the images out of the assets/resS files and convert them to something usable.
Every app I've looked at just bundles ordinary PNG etc. files for their UI assets, but I guess it doesn't surprise me that Blizzard would use some proprietary 3D model format for static images.
10-29-16, 06:46 PM   #11
nebula
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Here is a dump of the assets: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...E53QVhGakQ1TUk
10-29-16, 09:50 PM   #12
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by nebula View Post
Fantastic! Those high rez class and prof icons are really nice. Also, I wonder why the app has relic borders.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Can we get UI Assets from new Legion Companion Mobile App?