03-24-08, 01:53 PM   #21
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok Seerah, I've installed the addons, Bugsack and Buggrabber.

Here's the 1st error

[2008/03/24 20:46:35-1-x1]: AceOO-2.0-38641 (Ace2):734: AceComm-2.0: AceComm-2.0 requires AceEvent-2.0
AceComm-2.0-60961 (BugSack):2309: in main chunk

and the 2nd here

[2008/03/24 20:46:35-1-x1]: AceComm-2.0-60961 (BugSack):2211: attempt to call method 'UnregisterAllComms' (a nil value)

Hope thats what you meant by the full stack trace for the error.

The other questions you answered for me I'm going to work on now.

Thanks,

Mas
03-24-08, 02:03 PM   #22
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Hrmm... I was hoping to find more info in there, and there's not. Try installing Ace2 as standalone. If it works, it's only a workaround, and there's still something up with one of your addons. -OR- if you want to find out which addon has a problem, you can disable addons by halves until via process of elimination, you find the addon that is causing the error.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-24-08, 02:40 PM   #23
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok guess I'll have to spend some time doing that then.

And btw...got another one here

[2008/03/24 21:29:30-2-x1]: Ash_Communication\Communication.lua:166: attempt to call method 'TimerIsReal' (a nil value)
Ash_Communication\Communication.lua:120: in function `value'
Ash_Core\AsheylaLib.lua:77: in function `CreateInterface'
Ash_DoTimer\DoTimer.lua:416: in function `ScanAuras'
Ash_DoTimer\DoTimer.lua:233: in function `ScanTimers'
Ash_DoTimer\DoTimer.lua:92: in function `OnEvent'
<string>:"*:OnEvent":1: in function <[string "*:OnEvent"]:1>

The Ash addons were part of the original UI....don't really know if I need them or not?
03-24-08, 06:49 PM   #24
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok so another small update. Got the raid frames disabled. Thank you.

The problem with the blizzard buffs showing seems to be solved. <fingers crossed> Thank you again.

Will spend some time during the day hopefully trying to track down the bugsack errors. There's still some tweaking to do and obviously I need to fully test the ui in under different conditions to see if any other errors come up. That'll take some time.

Anyways so here's the ooc view...I think its looking quite ok

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8001617ut6.jpg

On to my next few questions.

Is there anyway...or are there any mods to help reduce the size of the windows shown in the pics below?

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8232954dm0.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8235617sz8.jpg

Although not sure if the second pic is something to do with an existing addon I may have or not. Any ideas?

Last one for now...was grouped with guildie to check view and this annoying raid frame popped up automatically on the left side of my screen...not the full raid group frame that I asked you about before though. Party frame or some such. Don't need it as I use grid.

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8235257fn5.jpg

Looked through pitbull for something like what you recommended for the raid frames but didn't find anything. Any ideas again please?

Thanks in advance as usual,

Mas

Last edited by Masaq : 03-24-08 at 06:58 PM.
03-24-08, 08:41 PM   #25
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You disable party frames the same way you do raid frames.

As for the size of those windows, there is a way, but you may not like my answer... But, actually, you're not quite at the correct screen resolution for your monitor anyway (your squares are rectangles and your circles, ovals), so your UI would need tweaking anyway...

1. hit escape and go to Video options

2. fix your screen resolution

3. check "Use UI Scale" and move the slider to the left
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-25-08, 03:25 AM   #26
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Will check out the party frames when I log on. Cheers. Btw, when I disabled the raid frames the way you advised, the option (checkbox and so on) for raid frames disappeared completely. *If* I ever wanted to get them back...where would I find them to re-enable them please?

As to the size of the windows and re-sizing I kinda figured it had something to do with the blizzard UI scale slider thingy.

But what do you mean about not being at quite the correct screen resolution for my monitor? Its 1024x768...always has been. And thats what the video option is also set for too. I've looked but my squares and circles look like squares and circles to me.

So basically if I use that UI scale slider...its obviously going to resize "everything" which may, or probably, mean I'm going to have to go back through and tweak all the sizes and texts and a kazillion other things too huh?

Is it possible then to make a copy of the Your_Character folder within the WTF\Account\Account Name\Server folder and rename it and then switch the two around as I'm experimenting? Or even just copy the whole WTF and have 2 that I can switch around? Or does the blizz UI scaler affect everything anyway independent of the WTF?

Meh...don't know if its worth it. Would you bother if it was your ui? Or just learn to live with it? Not sure if I cba tbh.

Anyways, thanks again...will work on trying to find which addons are giving me errors and get back to you.

Mas

<EDIT> Ok so I've spent some time tracking down the errors like you said Seerah.

As Far as I can tell, one error is occurring with Aloft. There are 2 Aloft addons, one is Aloft and the other is Aloft_Presets. The problem only seems to be with Aloft. The bugsack report is below...

[2008/03/25 14:12:39-16-x1]: AceComm-2.0-60961 (BugSack):2211: attempt to call method 'UnregisterAllComms' (a nil value)

The only other error, and as far as I can determine by the same process is something to do with Bugsack itself.

[2008/03/25 14:23:40-18-x1]: AceOO-2.0-38641 (Ace2):734: AceComm-2.0: AceComm-2.0 requires AceEvent-2.0

Any ideas on how I should go about fixing these please? In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and try installing Ace2 as a standalone as you suggested. Will get back to you and let you know what develops.

Mas

Last edited by Masaq : 03-25-08 at 08:04 AM.
03-25-08, 09:36 AM   #27
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Masaq View Post
Will check out the party frames when I log on. Cheers. Btw, when I disabled the raid frames the way you advised, the option (checkbox and so on) for raid frames disappeared completely. *If* I ever wanted to get them back...where would I find them to re-enable them please?
PitBull -> Extra Units

As to the size of the windows and re-sizing I kinda figured it had something to do with the blizzard UI scale slider thingy.

But what do you mean about not being at quite the correct screen resolution for my monitor? Its 1024x768...always has been. And thats what the video option is also set for too. I've looked but my squares and circles look like squares and circles to me.
They look just a teeny bit stretched. It's a pet peeve of mine, I'm sorry. If it works for you, then fine. Or perhaps your screenshots are getting resized somehow. Ahh... That's it. Your screenshot is showing as 1024x712. Maybe you're just playing in windowed mode.

So basically if I use that UI scale slider...its obviously going to resize "everything" which may, or probably, mean I'm going to have to go back through and tweak all the sizes and texts and a kazillion other things too huh?

Is it possible then to make a copy of the Your_Character folder within the WTF\Account\Account Name\Server folder and rename it and then switch the two around as I'm experimenting? Or even just copy the whole WTF and have 2 that I can switch around? Or does the blizz UI scaler affect everything anyway independent of the WTF?

Meh...don't know if its worth it. Would you bother if it was your ui? Or just learn to live with it? Not sure if I cba tbh.
Yeah, you'll need to tweak some things again. The size/placement of your eepanels, unit frames, etc. If you want to back up your settings, then make a copy of the whole WTF folder, as game settings are saved in a higher level file.

As Far as I can tell, one error is occurring with Aloft. There are 2 Aloft addons, one is Aloft and the other is Aloft_Presets. The problem only seems to be with Aloft. The bugsack report is below...

[2008/03/25 14:12:39-16-x1]: AceComm-2.0-60961 (BugSack):2211: attempt to call method 'UnregisterAllComms' (a nil value)

The only other error, and as far as I can determine by the same process is something to do with Bugsack itself.

[2008/03/25 14:23:40-18-x1]: AceOO-2.0-38641 (Ace2):734: AceComm-2.0: AceComm-2.0 requires AceEvent-2.0

Any ideas on how I should go about fixing these please? In the meantime I'm going to go ahead and try installing Ace2 as a standalone as you suggested. Will get back to you and let you know what develops.
I'm sorry, I'm not that hot of a debugger. Maybe someone else can help with those, or maybe installing Ace2 will help.

03-25-08, 11:58 AM   #28
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok another update. Regarding the errors. Don't quite know what the problem was but I tried updating Ace2 and Aloft and it worked like a charm. No more errors showing up in BugSack.

As far as things looking a lil strectched, yeah I play in windowed mode so that would explain that part of it.

The ui resizing thing. I can make a copy of the whole WTF folder, then go about resizing the panel and all the panels/unit frames and everything else. Fine, but if, when I replace the WTF folder for the copy folder (the original UI before resizing)...won't the blizz interface still be set for a smaller scale and so apply that scale to the "original" WTF and settings?

Sorry did that make sense?
03-25-08, 12:09 PM   #29
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm sorry, no, I didn't follow you. >< But perhaps I was unclear earlier.

Copying the WTF folder would just be backing up your settings. You won't lose them when you change the UI scale. Instead, everything will get smaller, and you'll need to tweak placements, sizes of eePanels, etc.

03-25-08, 12:44 PM   #30
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Nps Seerah. I probably wasn't very clear anyways.

What I mean is, if I change the ui scale, then spend time tweaking the fonts, sizes of panels, unit frames and so on, the WTF will then have the settings for the ui and for the smaller scale (through the blizz scale slider).

If I'm not happy with the result then, could I, having made a copy of the WTF folder first before playing with the scale...replace the original "untouched" WTF (with the untweaked/unscaled ui settings) with the WTF that has been worked on with the resizing? So...everything would kinda go "back to normal"? Or would the blizz scale slider still be set for a smaller scale and affect the "untouched" WTF?

Hope that made sense. I know what I want to say but I seem to be having trouble getting it out.
03-25-08, 06:42 PM   #31
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, as the settings for the UI Scale are in the WTF folder.

03-26-08, 04:04 AM   #32
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok well so far so good. I ended up copying the WTF folder, as a just-in-case fallback but turns out it wasn't needed. Resizing everything after adjusting the ui scale slider went quite quickly. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Thanks for the info and advice on that though.

One thing I've forgotten to mention though is that I need help identifying a mod. Not sure if its an option in ecastingbar, pitbull, prat (although I don't think so), parrot or something else.

Whenever I cast a judgement, the green "judgement timer" bar you can see in the pic below appears. Giving a timer on the judgement. Now the timer itself doesn't bother me so much but after resizing the ui, I'd like to move it to a better position. Using a combination of left/right mouse with shift/alt/ctrl doesn't seem to let me move it. Any ideas on that please?

http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8020850oq7.jpg

One last thing for now too. After resizing the ui, the player and target frames aren't quite the optimal length. If I resize the pitbull frames, will the eepanels attached to them automatically stretch as well or do they also need to be adjusted?

<edit> Forgot I had one other question. When I used x-perl (well at least I think it was a feature in x-perl) there was a handy "aggro" notice that popped up in the middle of the screen. But this also worked as a targetted aggro. For example...the second someone actually targetted me in a bg (without actually attacking, just basic targetting) I would get this aggro alert. Is there a similar feature in pitbull for this?

Thanks again

Mas

Last edited by Masaq : 03-26-08 at 05:34 AM.
03-26-08, 09:29 AM   #33
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That bar isn't from any of the mods you listed, but it seems to be some sort of class timer mod. I'm not sure of everything you have installed. Type /rock and see if the mod is in there anywhere - it probably has a Lock/Unlock or Anchor setting.

As long as you have the eePanels parented to those unit frames, they will resize with them. If they don't, then try logging in/out or reloading your UI.

There is a Banzai module in PitBull or you can get the BanzaiAlert addon.

03-27-08, 04:59 AM   #34
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok Seerah, well I tried that /rock command and the only thing that came up was the Addon Preferences window as shown below.

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?i...raddonsmu5.jpg

Nothing in there that tells me what addon it is. I guess I'm either going to have to try and get in touch with the original author, or try disabling an addon one at a time till I track down which one it is. Thank you anyway.

The only other thing that concerns me atm is some of the addons. I noticed that when I d/loaded the newer versions of some of the mods, for example Babble, Pitbull, Prat and a few others...the...not sure what to call them..."modules" that belong to that addon are inside the parent folder.

Take for instance Pitbull. There are extra folders inside the main Pitbull folder called Aura, Banzai, Barfader, CastBar and so on. But in the original authors' package, those "modules" aren't inside the Pitbull folder, but inside the actual WoW\Interface\Addons folder...labelled Pitbull_Aura, Pitbull_Banzai and so on.

Not quite sure why she did this but what kind of problems am I going to face when I replace the main Pitbull folder for the updated one and all those modules already exist inside it? Can I take those existing modules, place them inside the main Pitbull folder, rename them all by removing the "Pitbull_" preface and THEN update the Pitbull folder for the newer 2.4 version?

This question also applies to some of the other mods.

Still quite new at this obviously but there is also a huge list of Lib folders. Starting at LibBabble-Spell-3.0 to LibSpecialEvents-Aura-3.0. I realize some of these belong to their "parent" addons but whats the best way to go about replacing them for newer 2.4 versions? Would the above method work of restoring them to their parent folders and then updating?

Any help most appreciated.

Mas
03-27-08, 09:14 AM   #35
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
In the Addon Preferences window, if you click the arrow in the top left you'll get a drop down with most of your mods listed. You can access the options for Ace2 and Rock based mods this way. I just mentioned it so you could see if you could find the mod and its options.

As for PitBull, etc. Run the batch script included in the folder to unpack the modules or delete the ones that are in the addons folder and use it with all of the modules embedded.

Actually, if you get WAU (wowace updater) from the wowace site, it will take care of your libraries and unpacking modules for you.

03-27-08, 11:14 AM   #36
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
In the Addon Preferences window, if you click the arrow in the top left you'll get a drop down with most of your mods listed. You can access the options for Ace2 and Rock based mods this way. I just mentioned it so you could see if you could find the mod and its options.
Hmm pretty sure I did that and there was nothing there. Will check again though. I may well be wrong about that.

As for PitBull, etc. Run the batch script included in the folder to unpack the modules or delete the ones that are in the addons folder and use it with all of the modules embedded.
Not sure I understand that part about the batch script. When the batch script is run, does that place the modules outside of the original parent folder and into the Addons folder alongside the parent?

The second part about deleting them and using the embedded bit. Taking Pitbull as an example. Are there any settings saved in those modules? Or is everything saved to the WTF folder? What I mean is if I delete those modules, then replace the main Pitbull folder with the newer version which has the modules "embedded" in the main Pitbull folder....will everything still work as before?

Actually, if you get WAU (wowace updater) from the wowace site, it will take care of your libraries and unpacking modules for you.
Sounds like a very good idea. Will do that I think. Should make things easier.

But the reason I ask is that the addons folder looks very cluttered with all these "modules" hanging around outside their parent folders. The problem is that I don't know which modules/libs belong to which main addon.

Below is a list of the original authors' addon folder and also how mine looks today. Any ideas how I should go about tracing which modules and libs belong to which addons? Some of them are quite obvious. But others not.

Sorry to be a pain.

Mas

Ash_DoTimer: enabled
Ash_Core: enabled
Prat_AutoLoD: enabled
FuBar-compat-1.2: disabled
DevTools: disabled
ErrorMonster: enabled
Tankadin: enabled
Prat_Modules: enabled
Violation: disabled
sct_options: enabled
sct: enabled
Ash_Communication: enabled
Violation_Damage: disabled
Omen: enabled
TinyTip: enabled
Buffalo: enabled
Chinchilla: disabled
eePanels: enabled
OneBag: enabled
OneBank: enabled
OneRing: enabled
MobHealth: enabled
eePanels2: disabled
SatrinaBuffFrame: disabled
SBFOptions: disabled
BanzaiAlert: enabled
ClosetGnome: enabled
CraftyGnome: enabled
CritAlert: disabled
EquipCompare: enabled
LightHeaded: disabled
LightHeaded_A20_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_A40_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_A60_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_A80_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_deDE_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_H20_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_H40_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_H60_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_H80_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_NPC_Data: disabled
LightHeaded_Quest_Data: disabled
MobNotes: enabled
Recount: enabled
SolarianAlarm: enabled
SpyGnome: enabled
Aloft: enabled
AloftPresets: enabled
Ash_PlayerAuras: enabled
Ash_Prominence: enabled
AtlasLoot: enabled
AtlasLoot_BCInstances: enabled
AtlasLoot_RepFactions: enabled
AtlasLoot_SetsandPvP: enabled
AtlasLoot_WorldLoot: enabled
Bartender3: enabled
BigWigs_BlackTemple: enabled
BigWigs_Extras: enabled
BigWigs_Hyjal: enabled
BigWigs_Karazhan: enabled
BigWigs_Outland: enabled
BigWigs_Plugins: enabled
BigWigs_SC: enabled
BigWigs_TheEye: enabled
BigWigs_ZulAman: enabled
BigWigs: enabled
!BugGrabber: enabled
BugSack: enabled
ClearFont2: enabled
ClearFont2_FontPack: enabled
Combine: enabled
CooldownCount: enabled
cyCircled: enabled
EavesDrop: enabled
eCastingBar: enabled
FuBar_AddonSpamFu: enabled
FuBar_BagFu: enabled
FuBar_DurabilityFu: enabled
Fubar_EmoteFu: enabled
FuBar_MicroMenuFu: enabled
FuBar_MoneyFu: enabled
FuBar_PerformanceFu: enabled
FuBar_RaidBuffFu: enabled
FuBar_ToFu: enabled
FuBar: enabled
Grid: enabled
AbacusLib: enabled
Ace2: enabled
Babble-Boss-2.2: enabled
Babble-Class-2.2: enabled
Babble-Faction-2.2: enabled
Babble-Fish-2.2: enabled
Babble-Gas-2.2: enabled
Babble-Herbs-2.2: enabled
Babble-Inventory-2.2: enabled
Babble-Mount-2.2: enabled
Babble-Ore-2.2: enabled
Babble-Quest-2.2: enabled
Babble-Race-2.2: enabled
Babble-SpellTree-2.2: enabled
Babble-Spell-2.2: enabled
Babble-Tradeskill-2.2: enabled
Babble-Trainer-2.2: enabled
Babble-Vendor-2.2: enabled
Babble-Zone-2.2: enabled
Babble-2.2: enabled
LibBabble-Zone-3.0: enabled
LibBanzai-2.0: enabled
BanzaiLib: enabled
CandyBar: enabled
CrayonLib: enabled
Deformat: enabled
DewdropLib: enabled
FuBarPlugin-2.0: enabled
GloryLib: enabled
GratuityLib: enabled
Metrognome: enabled
PaintChipsLib: enabled
Parser-3.0: enabled
ParserLib: enabled
RosterLib: enabled
SharedMediaLib: enabled
SinkLib: enabled
SpecialEventsEmbed: enabled
SpecialEvents-Aura-2.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-Bags-2.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-Equipped-2.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-LearnSpell-2.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-Loot-1.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-Mail-2.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-Mount-2.0: enabled
SpecialEvents-Movement-2.0: enabled
StatLogicLib: enabled
TabletLib: enabled
TagCompiler-1.0: enabled
Threat-1.0: enabled
TipHookerLib: enabled
Waterfall-1.0: enabled
WindowLib: enabled
LibBabble-Spell-3.0: enabled
LibDogTag-2.0: enabled
LibDruidMana-1.0: enabled
LibGratuity-3.0: enabled
LibJostle-3.0: enabled
LibParser-4.0: enabled
LibRock-1.0: enabled
LibRockComm-1.0: enabled
LibRockConfig-1.0: enabled
LibRockConsole-1.0: enabled
LibRockDB-1.0: enabled
LibRockEvent-1.0: enabled
LibRockHook-1.0: enabled
LibRockLocale-1.0: enabled
LibRockModuleCore-1.0: enabled
LibRockTimer-1.0: enabled
LibSharedMedia-2.0: enabled
LibSpecialEvents-Aura-3.0: enabled
oRA2_Leader: enabled
oRA2_Optional: enabled
oRA2_Participant: enabled
oRA2: enabled
Parrot: enabled
pDebuffList: enabled
PitBull: enabled
PitBull_Aura: enabled
PitBull_Banzai: enabled
PitBull_BarFader: enabled
PitBull_CastBar: enabled
PitBull_CombatFader: enabled
PitBull_CombatIcon: enabled
PitBull_CombatText: enabled
PitBull_ComboPoints: enabled
PitBull_DruidManaBar: enabled
PitBull_EstimatedHeals: enabled
PitBull_ExperienceBar: enabled
PitBull_HappinessIcon: enabled
PitBull_HealthBar: enabled
PitBull_HideBlizzard: enabled
PitBull_Highlight: enabled
PitBull_InteractLines: enabled
PitBull_LeaderIcon: enabled
PitBull_MasterLooterIcon: enabled
PitBull_Portrait: enabled
PitBull_PowerBar: enabled
PitBull_PvPIcon: enabled
PitBull_RaidTargetIcon: enabled
PitBull_RangeCheck: enabled
PitBull_ReputationBar: enabled
PitBull_RestIcon: enabled
PitBull_Spark: enabled
PitBull_ThreatBar: enabled
PitBull_VoiceIcon: enabled
Prat: enabled
Prat_Modules_AutoLoD: enabled
RatingBuster: enabled
SimpleCombatLog: enabled
simpleMinimap: enabled
PallyPower: enabled
03-27-08, 12:39 PM   #37
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Masaq View Post
Not sure I understand that part about the batch script. When the batch script is run, does that place the modules outside of the original parent folder and into the Addons folder alongside the parent?
Yes. WAU does this automatically for you if the option is selected in the program. Have modules pulled out like they were for the compilation makes them Load on Demand - meaning they only load into memory if you use them and/or an addon asks to use them.
The second part about deleting them and using the embedded bit. Taking Pitbull as an example. Are there any settings saved in those modules? Or is everything saved to the WTF folder? What I mean is if I delete those modules, then replace the main Pitbull folder with the newer version which has the modules "embedded" in the main Pitbull folder....will everything still work as before?
All settings are in those saved variables files in the WTF folder.
But the reason I ask is that the addons folder looks very cluttered with all these "modules" hanging around outside their parent folders. The problem is that I don't know which modules/libs belong to which main addon.
See above re LoD (load on demand)
Below is a list of the original authors' addon folder and also how mine looks today. Any ideas how I should go about tracing which modules and libs belong to which addons? Some of them are quite obvious. But others not.
Yeah, some are obvious. The Ash stuff belongs to DoTimer, iirc. FuBar-compat-1.2 has been obsolete for over a year, so you can ditch that.

You're not being a pain, you're just an end user dealing with what a UI author put together without fully understanding how it works.

Read this for more information about libraries and how you should use them (embedded v. standalone), and how to switch to embedded libraries (you have standalone now - they're installed like regular addons instead of being included in the addon folder that uses them) if you want to.

http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=8542.0

03-27-08, 01:10 PM   #38
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok thanks again for the replies.

So I had a look at the link that you supplied. Made sense to me which surprised me.

Pretty much answered my next questions as to which is better or faster. When in fact there's no real noticeable difference between the two. Apart from whether one is a developer of not and a couple of other small decision factors.

So basically it makes no real difference whether I use the addons as standalone or embedded. Meaning I can pretty much leave them as they are or try and convert the standalone to embedded using the guide in the link you gave me. Six to one, half dozen to the other I guess.

One thing I do need though I think is the wowace updater. Will make it a lot smoother. Umm stupid question but the wowace updater is run out of wow yeah?

Based on your guide, you think I'm better off going to embedded then? I'm kinda 50/50 tbh. Only thing that worries me about going to embedded is "Go into your Addons folder and delete anything that's not an addon (ie, all of the libs)". There are some options in my list that I'm just not sure if they're technically an addon or not.
03-27-08, 01:20 PM   #39
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
WAU is located here:
http://wowace.com/wiki/WowAceUpdater

Load it up and let it scan your addons folder. It lists everything by category, so you can look at the libraries you have installed, select them all and delete from right within WAU.

03-28-08, 02:43 PM   #40
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's a lot easier if you just use WAU. Check the settings to make sure it's using embedded libraries ("with externals") and then hit "reinstall all addons"; the unused library folders should be automatically removed. If you have libraries that aren't used by anything, they might not get auto-deleted, but manually deleting a few folders is easier than combing through 300 folders to determine what's a library and what's not.

Personally I use standalone libraries. The game loads faster when it doesn't have to wade through 100 copies of each library (which is what happens when you use embedded libraries), my hard drive has more free space, updating is faster and uses less bandwidth, and (perhaps most importantly) I never have to deal with conflicts between different versions of libraries embedded in different addons. The embedded libraries are supposed to be designed to prevent that, but if you read the wowace.com forums, you'll see tons and tons of posts about such conflicts; the solution is always something silly like "you're getting an error from addon X, so make sure unrelated addons Y and Z are up to date". Big pain in the ass.

Also, IMO, addon compilations (things like "Random's UI") should be banned unless their creator has done something more than simply zip up his or her Interface folder. Mazzle is a good example of a compilation I think should be allowed; its author has created a central configuration, a setup utility with presets for every addon included, and even modified some of the included addons to work better together. The one you downloaded, though, sounds like one of the worthless ones. :P

Last edited by Phanx : 03-28-08 at 02:46 PM. Reason: adding to post, didn't want to double-post

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » new to UI's, trying to recreate LaveUI