Quantcast Current Plans For Carbonite - Page 9 - WoWInterface
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
10-30-14, 06:48 AM   #161
Everfroszt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Cool

Originally Posted by KMJX View Post
A weak first post, man. A very weak first post.

Donations are not mandatory, and have not been asked for, though they are welcomed. Donating or thinking of donating does not entitle you to anything at all, and not everyone had access or time to play the beta to fix their stuff.

The last information we got about update progress was less than a day ago, though not in this thread. (Hint: It's the first one below the stickies. Also refer to the link 2 posts above yours.)
What is broken has nothing to do with quests, there was no need to collect data for those, as it is handled by the same information given by the standard wow quest tracker, and displayed on the fancy maps which are now kaputt because things changed, shit happened, and the thing is gonna take longer than expected.
Yeah, I completely agree. While it's nice of people to donate, you can't expect to say "Ok, you give me time estimates [or anything else] or I won't donate". First of all, that's just rude. Then there's the fact that they are *donations", not payments. They're not required, or, as KMJX pointed out, even asked for, and, in fact, the author doesn't even need them I'm sure. Addon authors generally (at least in my experience) don't write addons for profit, but so they can enjoy the game and share their enjoyment. The fact that he chooses to share his addon at all is enough for me to donate. Carbonite's made my WoW experience over the past 5 or 6 years exponentially more enjoyable! In fact, without Carbonite, I have trouble getting in "the zone" lol! Anyway, no offence, but I would personally never try to bargain for estimates (that wouldn't be accurate anyway, given the problems encountered in real-world code management--especially with Blizzard's horrible habit of rapid API changes) for a little donation. I'm just grateful to Rythal and his predecessors! TIA for the next evolution of Carbonite! Don't get me wrong. I get a little anxious waiting too, but we seem to forget the fact that there is no obligation on his part to update the code period. I'd rather have an addon that works properly and great than a buggy-ass kluge.
 
10-30-14, 06:52 AM   #162
Everfroszt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Wink

Originally Posted by matt_b19 View Post
They didnt say "take over".

They are "attempting" to make a new version of it. They are right to do so as Carbonite as it is hasnt been fully maintained for a long time now.
No offence, but the semantic difference is very slight. xP The meaning is almost the same, and attempting to distract others from the original point of your argument to shift attention to your linguistic genius doesn't change the original matter, that is, that donations are just that: donations, and not salary. You are technically correct, but not by much, and the point is, everyone understood the guy you're replying to. Dicing words doesn't change the fact. No offence, I'm just saying.

Last edited by Everfroszt : 10-30-14 at 06:54 AM.
 
10-30-14, 06:53 AM   #163
twystedfate
A Defias Bandit
 
twystedfate's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Fathersin View Post
This will probably get squelched.. but I particularly do not care at this point.
<soapbox>

I have supported many addon authors of the last ten years by money, by code, and by helping. To have the audacity to demand something for something you can get for free is quite frankly why none of my addons are public. It gets fixed when it gets fixed. Donating is not a requirement nor is your usage of any addon on wowinterface, curse, or wowace. It is just one of the many options you can do to support addon authors.

There are other addon's you can use and donate to if you wish. By all means do not let us stop you from doing so. I have spent hours going through carbonite's code the moment it was released from the original author. I know the task that Rythal has set in front of himself and I know it is not one that is easy. I decided that rewriting the whole thing would be easier and decided not to venture into fixing carbonite. Of course that is also my personal opinion. And like Rythal, Most of us have this thing called a life that likes to interfere with any game time we have. So being appreciative of someone who sets aside their own gaming time to make a mod to make a game easier for YOU to play should at least be the minimum you show.

There were many addons updated on the PTR that were still broke when it went live. Actually all of them were. hell, It took about 3 days just to get my UI back in order so I was not looking 72 inches across to see my party members and the minimap. Just because it worked on the PTR doesn't mean it will work when it goes live. You can thank blizzard for that. And since you pay them a monthly subscription you are entitled to go fuss at them for breaking the addons. I'm sure they will listen to you and correct the situation immediately...

People like yourself demanding, crying, or just generally bitching, make it difficult for addon authors to continue updating through major patches or just altogether. I've seen hundreds of addon's, over the last ten years, just fall off because asshats like yourself, act the way that you do.

YOU are NOT entitled to anything on here. Nor am I or anyone else for that matter. I've made my donations. I've used the addons. I've done plenty of coding and patching and forwarded that info to authors. I did not wait until it was broke and decide to use a donation as leverage to get it fixed when it was already being worked on.

Either find something else, be productive and find someway to help or STFU and wait.
</soapbox >
Dude if your ever in Eastern Canada i'm buying you a beer!!!!
 
10-30-14, 06:57 AM   #164
Everfroszt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11
Smile

Originally Posted by matt_b19 View Post
They didnt say "take over".

They are "attempting" to make a new version of it. They are right to do so as Carbonite as it is hasnt been fully maintained for a long time now.
Originally Posted by eqsanctum View Post
People have short memories...

Last update was in march to make the original code "working" to buy him some time. He already said it's being completely re-written...

All the threats, the crap, the talk, bottom line it's Rythal's leave the guy alone and let him do his thing. People seriously need to back off in a major way.
Can I get a very LOUD AMEN! Now I srsly want to have your babies xP
 
10-30-14, 03:18 PM   #165
genchoppa
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
You the Muthafu**king man!!!

Don't let these skirts get to you. Bitches will be bitches.

Take your time do right and when its all said and done go get a Ferrari with the donations. You earned It..

That's all i gotta say..
 
10-30-14, 07:11 PM   #166
Fathersin
A Cyclonian
 
Fathersin's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Everfroszt View Post
Can I get a very LOUD AMEN! Now I srsly want to have your babies xP
Originally Posted by eqsanctum View Post
I seriously want to have your babies. No, really. I'm serious.
I think there may be a need for a prenatal and growing up pics at some point
 
10-30-14, 07:11 PM   #167
Fathersin
A Cyclonian
 
Fathersin's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 44
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by twystedfate View Post
Dude if your ever in Eastern Canada i'm buying you a beer!!!!
Why thank you sir
 
11-05-14, 12:34 PM   #168
bossdarcie
A Murloc Raider
 
bossdarcie's Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Thumbs up Rythal, you da bomb. Carbonite Addon team, you da explosion!

I'm just happy you guys are working on it! Patience is a virtue and we'll all be fine until Rythal has a chance to dig through the code and fix it. Do I miss it? Hell yeah. That just goes to show what an awesome add-on it is. Rythal, I remember when the Carbonite Addon team officially added you as a helpmeet and I know that you'll get the job done as fast as you're able. Keep on doing what you do. I've donated before, will do so again, and am patiently awaiting your genius. <3
__________________
""In this world where time is your enemy, it is my greatest ally. This grand game of life that you think you play in fact plays you. To that I say... Let the games begin!"
- Nefarian


 
11-09-14, 02:36 PM   #169
sandlolz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14
i had already planned on skipping the first year of WoD, like i did with MoP. seriously, the expansions are so much more fun when you come into them late, i did the whole 'grind from the beginning' in tbc and wrath.

but anyway, i'm sure carbonite will be working by then, assuming the world doesn't go ww3 or get totally ebola'd.
 
11-09-14, 03:22 PM   #170
Dragnwarror
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
11/9/14 update???

I opened wowmatrix this morning and there was an update for carbonite. I installed it and loaded the game. it seemed to just shut down the add on. nothing was working. i could not even open the map at all. I was wondering if this was an update you release or it was just a bug in WOWmatrix. Again thank you for everything you are doing for all these undeserving people. also if you would like someone to test all your updates i am willing to do so. i have 7 computers that i play wow on and would be willing to beta test for you. since i have no coding skills that is all i can offer atm.
 
11-09-14, 04:22 PM   #171
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder
 
JimJoBlue's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Dragnwarror View Post
I opened wowmatrix this morning and there was an update for carbonite. I installed it and loaded the game. it seemed to just shut down the add on. nothing was working. i could not even open the map at all. I was wondering if this was an update you release or it was just a bug in WOWmatrix. Again thank you for everything you are doing for all these undeserving people. also if you would like someone to test all your updates i am willing to do so. i have 7 computers that i play wow on and would be willing to beta test for you. since i have no coding skills that is all i can offer atm.
The problem there is you are using wowmatrix... wowmatrix steals addons from sites like curse and wowinterface and pretends that it is an "official" site... NONE of the addons that wowmatrix provides (As they don't even host the files themselves, they use wowinterface server bandwidth) are authorised by the addon authors... NONE of the ad revenue goes toward the addon authors...

Please stop using wowmatrix... In using that site/program you are directly hurting the authors that are working on these fine addons...
__________________
I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. Doug McLeod


 
11-14-14, 03:12 PM   #172
DPattee
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
Please stop using wowmatrix... In using that site/program you are directly hurting the authors that are working on these fine addons...
Well, Curse abandoned their Mac users, and instead of open sourcing (etc) the client they are just leaving an old alpha up with known bugs and performance issues.

WowMatrix still has a Mac client, and it is way faster than Curse Client ever was.

I'll donate to add-on developers that have that option, and continue to use WowMatrix until Curse returns to the Mac.
 
11-14-14, 11:42 PM   #173
Fathersin
A Cyclonian
 
Fathersin's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by DPattee View Post
Well, Curse abandoned their Mac users, and instead of open sourcing (etc) the client they are just leaving an old alpha up with known bugs and performance issues.

WowMatrix still has a Mac client, and it is way faster than Curse Client ever was.

I'll donate to add-on developers that have that option, and continue to use WowMatrix until Curse returns to the Mac.
You could just buy a real computer. There is hardly any difference hardware wise from a mac to a PC these days. It basically boils down to having to learn another OS to suit your needs. Which in all honestly is not all that hard for windows. FYI i'm not a fanboi of Microsoft. I've just been in IT for over 28 years. I personally use Linux.
 
11-17-14, 08:56 PM   #174
CactusBadger
Premium Member
 
CactusBadger's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Fathersin View Post
You could just buy a real computer. There is hardly any difference hardware wise from a mac to a PC these days. It basically boils down to having to learn another OS to suit your needs. Which in all honestly is not all that hard for windows. FYI i'm not a fanboi of Microsoft. I've just been in IT for over 28 years. I personally use Linux.
If you are ever in Northern Indiana - You have a beer waiting for you here too... A good craft brew, even
 
11-18-14, 10:22 PM   #175
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer
 
eqsanctum's Avatar
Premium Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by Everfroszt View Post
Can I get a very LOUD AMEN! Now I srsly want to have your babies xP
Originally Posted by Fathersin View Post
I think there may be a need for a prenatal and growing up pics at some point
Oh wow. Where did these come from...
__________________
"I make addons, mods, and interface compilations for options. No matter how good of a game dev you are, you do not know what I like." - EQSanctum
 
11-19-14, 10:22 AM   #176
Yuriko
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
 
Yuriko's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Well, you see...when a comment and a reply REALLY like each other a lot...
__________________
I know you're in there
I sense your fear

Surrender
I know you're hiding here
Come, my dear
You can hide in the night while I'm waiting here, all alone
 
11-19-14, 11:24 AM   #177
encryptedkid
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
ive honestly thought about trying to take up coding again for mainly help with this great damn addon as well as some minor dumb things. wanted to make an acc to just say what a great app. i just decided to get the new expansion after taking a break from cata for a bit and damn you truly don't know how incredible something was till its gone. if anyoine knows any good online courses free of course as im currently in between jobs after my damn contract expired would help me thus in return me helping the community hopefully.
 
11-19-14, 11:32 AM   #178
encryptedkid
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
matter of fact im gonna be donating as well. as soon as i get some source of income. with all the time a yrs using this well put together addon that's honestly the top of a must 3 i need to fully enjoy wow. so much in fact i wouldn't mind paying for the addon it self whether it be one time purchase of even a 6-12mo subscription. if thats what it takes to continue the life of it
 
11-20-14, 03:00 PM   #179
Desdicato
A Kobold Labourer
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
Thank you rythal , twisted fate and any who continue to work with this

Just wanna give twistedfate a shoutout and mirror the canadian offer , if life takes u to mid east coast u.s i'll buy you a beer as well my friend

But seriously, i donated quite alot to the original authors and plan on donating to rythal and any others putting man hours into tweaking or recoding. Because for the uninitiated btw... that does take lots and lots of man hours. It's work like payable work... anyhow, thank you again for your volunteered time, I'm sure I won't be alone in donating, to express gratitude, I ... i know it sounds weird, but probably have more concern of this addon going forward then wow going forward..., Im off and on again with wow, but I simply will not play the game w/o carbonite lol... i got the expansion to check it out, but I'm sitting patiently until carbonite works, until then no wow

Anyways if theres anything beyond monetary we can do to help let the appreciative fans of carbonite know, I don't have alot of free time, which is why i just throw money at ppl in lieu of my support, but you know , someone else has got to be talented at programming or trouble shooting or something...

P.S
Apparently my old account I registered way back when is gone, or floating around in the nether , but it had the same user name any old timers might remember

Last edited by Desdicato : 11-20-14 at 03:04 PM. Reason: explanation
 
11-22-14, 01:21 PM   #180
Borretje
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Hello, I would like to know what file you need to fill up the quest information database?
I have done a huge part of the Dreanor quests and also many of the special battle hubs so it might help this add on.
 
 

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off