07-28-08, 02:39 AM   #1
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to tell you're in a BG

I need to tell, within an addon, whether you're in a BG or not.

I didn't want to faff-about with zone names - those being localised etc. - so I hunted around the API and found this

GetBattlefieldInstanceRunTime()

It's SUPPOSED to report the instance's runtime in ms - and mostly that's what it does - however it also reports '0' quite often - so it's not a great deal of use!!

I'm assuming this relates to the way that 'Run Time' on the scoresheet is often blank - e.g. it's a server 'issue'.

Are there any other easy/sure-fire ways to detect whether you're in a BG without resorting to crude things like the zone name?

I wondered about querying things like the scores - but as they are often not available within BGs for long periods I guess they're also prone to 'server issues'???
07-28-08, 02:46 AM   #2
Macniel
A Fallenroot Satyr

To determinate that your are in an active Battlefield you can query your battlefield queues for an active status:

http://www.wowwiki.com/API_GetBattlefieldStatus

this should allways work
07-28-08, 02:50 AM   #3
Soulsbane
A Murloc Raider
do something like

Code:
if select(2, IsInInstance()) == "pvp" then
-- Do stuff
end
07-28-08, 03:21 AM   #4
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Macniel View Post
To determinate that your are in an active Battlefield you can query your battlefield queues for an active status:

http://www.wowwiki.com/API_GetBattlefieldStatus

this should allways work
I tried (something close to) this earlier - as a brute-force test of that - and it failed completely...

for x in 1,3 do -- upto 3 queus possible
If GetBattlefieldStatus(x) then DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("YO"); end;
end;

It returned nothing whatsoever DESPITE me being in AV and the queues for AB and EOTS which suggests it's as prone to returning nonsense/nothing as the GetBattlefieldInstanceRunTime() call...
07-28-08, 03:30 AM   #5
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Soulsbane View Post
do something like

Code:
-- Do stuff
end
I like the sound of that because it's not the GetBattlefield... functions which are - it would appear - heavily unreliable

Thanks!
07-28-08, 06:11 AM   #6
Macniel
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by kerrang View Post
I tried (something close to) this earlier - as a brute-force test of that - and it failed completely...

for x in 1,3 do -- upto 3 queus possible
If GetBattlefieldStatus(x) then DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("YO"); end;
end;

It returned nothing whatsoever DESPITE me being in AV and the queues for AB and EOTS which suggests it's as prone to returning nonsense/nothing as the GetBattlefieldInstanceRunTime() call...
This is very odd, As I joined an EotS Battleifled and dumped GetBattelFieldStatus(1) (it was the only queue I joined in fact) i got the values : "active", "Auge des Sturms", 70, 70, 15, nil back
07-28-08, 11:01 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Soulsbane View Post
do something like

Code:
-- Do stuff
end
this is usually what's suggested/used.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-28-08, 12:16 PM   #8
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
IsInInstance is cool because you can detect wether you are in BG "pvp" arenas "arena" or in pve instances "raid" & "party" only with it.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
07-28-08, 01:06 PM   #9
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Macniel View Post
This is very odd, As I joined an EotS Battleifled and dumped GetBattelFieldStatus(1) (it was the only queue I joined in fact) i got the values : "active", "Auge des Sturms", 70, 70, 15, nil back
I've used GetBattlefieldInstanceRunTime() for a while and it's generally worked aok.

Something was breaking my 'BG detector' from time-to-time tho - and extensive monitoring of the values it was checking shows that function can report 0 even in a BG for extended periods of time - even across multiple BGs/queues - which suggests it's something on the server-side which is being disabled/failing perhaps?

I've had a few BGs recently which reported no Elapsed/Total time - I've had several occasions where the scores could not be shown mid-game too - so I guess it's a "load" issue of some sort?

IsInInstance is working very well so far tho - seems a much more reliable test...

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to tell you're in a BG