06-18-20, 11:52 PM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Who Buffed Me in Classic

In classic, drive by buffs are common. I had an idea to create an addon that grabs the name of the player who buffed you and do a /ty. The later part is theoretical, but here is my hacked together code.

Code:
local JWB = CreateFrame("Frame")

local function(WhoBuff)
	print("Buffed!")
	local buffnum=0
	for i=1, 40 do
		local name, __, count,_,_,_,caster = UnitBuff("player", i, "HELPFUL");    -- buffs only
		if (not name) then
			buffnum=i
			casterName = caster==nil and "unknown" or caster=="player" and "you" or caster=="pet" and "your pet" or UnitName(caster)
			print("Caster: "..casterName)
			print("break"..i)
			break;    --end the loop
		end
   end
end

JWB:SetScript("OnEvent", WhoBuff)
JWB:RegisterUnitEvent("UNIT_AURA", "player")
What I thought would happen is when my toon is buffed, the code would loop through the buffs and pick the last one and print the caster name. Maybe I am misreading the API documentation or I should not try coding until I adjust to a new shift.
06-19-20, 12:50 AM   #2
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can reference Thanks For The Buff which registers COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED and checks the spell against a list of buffs
06-19-20, 01:01 AM   #3
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
You can reference Thanks For The Buff which registers COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED and checks the spell against a list of buffs
I love this community. I tried to find an existing addon with no luck and you guys say look here. That looks pretty good and may very well meet my needs. But if I am bored, I might try looking the author's techniques.

Thanks as always!
06-19-20, 03:37 AM   #4
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Buff Owner Classic and this snippet by Phanx (see UnitAura for updated returns) are actually good solutions if all you wanted was just to see who casted a buff on you on mouseover, instead of the automated emote

WoWInterface » Classic - AddOns, Compliations, Macros » Classic - AddOn Help/Support » Who Buffed Me in Classic