03-04-08, 02:11 PM   #1
mozulo
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Help with vista and downloading!

Hi, i have just re-installed vista and im having a problem downloading the updates after i installed WoW it seems to be taking about an hour to download the ingame patch or stops then i need to restart the game for it to carry on any ideas why this could be happening or could one point me in the right direction to some info.

thanks for any replys.
Moz

03-04-08, 02:35 PM   #2
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Is the peer to peer transfer enabled, and is it working well? Else, well, you'll see a warning on the downloader and a link to an help page.

If it's working fine but still slow, it's because the peer to peer part of the download system is screwed by the fact that you're like among the only 5 people on the planet who decided to download old patch X today Try to find the patch you need on wowwiki (Use at your own risk, even if it's usually decently safe. Just try to choose a website you trust a bit in the list).
03-04-08, 02:36 PM   #3
txxnnok
Order of the Horde

I have Vista and I have reinstalled a couple of times,plus upgraded to ultimate (which requires you to format the hard drive). I don't know if the DEP might be causing a problem or the firewall might be causing a problem. Goto control panel and under security click the "allow a program through firewall" link. Then add World of Warcraft to it.
Sometimes your just waiting for Blizzard to download. Which can take forever and seems like dropped you depending on traffic. For me, installing Discs is like a total of 30 minutes, download time 2 hours, has been 1 hour before. I have DSL fastest here 3mb/s, but really is more like 300kb/s. Go cable if you can.
Also install Burning Crusade directly after the WOW install. You don't need the updates for WoW disc, just the Burning Crusade ones.
GoodLuck
03-04-08, 04:34 PM   #4
mozulo
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Cheers all for the feedback seems it is working now just did what txxnnok said seems to be working thanks again.

03-04-08, 04:39 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can get all the patches here at Fileplanet

To find your current version of wow goto the games logon screen and it is in the lower left corner. Get the patches after the one you already are at.

Place the files in the root world of warcraft directory (/world of warcraft/).

If it still needs to download stuff try placing the files in the /patches directory. All patch files can be deleted after updates.

Also if you have either a 2nd HDD or a DVD burner (Dual layer recommended) you can back-up your whole WoW directory and then move it back. I have a back up from a few patches ago (i backup my addon and wtf folder before a reinstall of my OS) and I install WoW and BC then copy my backups over to the new install and get the few patches needed and off I go.

Patching from a first run disc sucks as it is so out of date

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Help with vista and downloading!