11-13-09, 08:47 PM   #1
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Best Christmas Lights Ever...

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
11-13-09, 10:03 PM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I love it. Being the bah-humbug that I am, I think I could actually stand to put up lights that annoy the neighbors that go way overboard (Chevy Chase, anyone?).

I like the true meaning of Christmas, and to me, all the cards, gifts, and decorations take away the heartfelt spirit of it all.

Oh, and yes, I know kids like it... but they also like cake (and I'm sure you wouldn't go overboard feeding them cake).

Bah Humbug!!
11-14-09, 04:56 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I'm jealous i didn't think of that one first ><

And I'll see your Bah Humbug and raise you a Grinch.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
11-18-09, 11:55 AM   #4
richwarf
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
lol, that just epic :P
11-19-09, 10:19 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Good light "display".

Over the last few years, I have been a bit cynical when it comes to the holidays. For me it's just one more pain in the neck day to get out of my way. The only reason why I even do anything for X-mas is due to my daughter however beyond that, I just prefer to go down in my bunker and ignore the entire season (except for the holiday munchies )

Why am I cynical about X-mas?

Simple, I worked in retail for many years and after so many years of putting up holiday displays (which seems to happen earlier and earlier), cleaning up/removing the displays after the holidays (the only consolation is the left over candy and other treats gets sold to the employees at a steep discount. Yes! Cheap, tasty munchies!) and listening to X-mas music over the Muzak system for an 8 hour shift, 5-6 days a week for 6 straight weeks (Yikes! Where are my earplugs?) is enough to drive me to take a rifle and turn Santa's reindeer into venison. Throw in the holiday crowds and the incessant advertising that is EVERYWHERE and well, let's just say it's best to keep ALL firearms and explosives away from my reach.

I am not Christian so I don't go for the religious undertones. The only thing I have to do with the holidays is the Winter Solstice, however among my people (Taos Pueblo; Taos, New Mexico) that time year of year is the "Quiet Time" which is the time of year for peace, quiet and resting now that the harvests are in and snow is on the ground. To be quite frank, I need the Quiet Time. It sure is not quiet in the modern world...

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-21-09 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Grammer, spelling and clarafication
11-19-09, 11:02 AM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post

Over the last few years, I have been a bit cynical when it comes to the holidays. For me it's just one more pain in the neck day to get of my way. The only reason why I even do anything for X-mas is due to my daughter however beyond that, I just prefer to go down in my bunker and ignore the entire season (except for the holiday munchies )
I couldn't of said it better myself. If it weren't for my kids, I would just as soon skip all the holidays.
11-20-09, 04:35 PM   #7
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

/sigh

I still love the holidays. But for me it's not about presents or anything like that. To me Christmastime is about that one time out of the year (for those that are too lazy to do it all year long) for everyone to try to forget about everything else going on and just be happy and give a little extra to those around you. I love going out of my way more than usual this time of year to give to those in need and spread holiday cheer. Not to mention all the extra cookies and wonderful music that is played.

So I say phooey to all you humbugers.
11-20-09, 05:22 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I couldn't of said it better myself. If it weren't for my kids, I would just as soon skip all the holidays.
Rofl, when Im at home in the UK I stay at home while the rest of the family go to my grandmothers house. When I'm with my fiance in the US as I have done the last 4 years its a spend time with his family for a few hours and then do a runner and come back to the house to play games

The difference ? The youngest member of my family is *counts in head* 28 whereas the youngest member in my fiance's family is not even a year old. In my eyes Xmas is for children. No children ? It's just an extra days vacation to do with as you feel which isn't much when you rely on public transport which is stopped for the day rofl.
12-22-09, 11:30 AM   #9
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Oh oh oh... I have another favorite now...

Here's the caption that goes with it...

"“Good news is that I truly out did myself this year with my Christmas decorations. The bad news is that I had to take him down after two days. I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever. Great stories. But two things made me take it down.

First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents as they almost wrecked when they drove by.

Second, a 65 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder almost killed herself putting it against my house and didn’t realize that it was fake until she climbed to the top (she was not happy). By the way, she was one of the many people who attempted to do that. My yard couldn’t take it either. I have more than a few tire tracks where people literally drove up my yard.”

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	christmas.bmp
Views:	746
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	3733  

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
12-22-09, 12:24 PM   #10
marioinfinity
A Black Drake

haha.

Now.. when i get a house.. to hang a fake santa hanging on my roof.. tangled in christmas lights hanging upside down.. that would make me laugh so much i'd get nothing done during the holiday season.. lol
12-22-09, 12:49 PM   #11
Capreories
A Defias Bandit

For all you Guitar Hero Fans! Check out these Decorations!
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...-hero/20695gg0
12-22-09, 02:33 PM   #12
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by marioinfinity View Post
haha.

Now.. when i get a house.. to hang a fake santa hanging on my roof.. tangled in christmas lights hanging upside down.. that would make me laugh so much i'd get nothing done during the holiday season.. lol
That sounds like something some of the mischievous university students have done here. Here in Italy (at least in Turin), it's pretty common to hang a Santa that is climbing up to your balcony via a rope ladder or just a plain old rope. Unless one is lucky enough to have a fireplace, chimneys that lead to your dwelling are quite rare since most of us city dwellers lair in housing blocks. Thus no "tradition" of Santa entering your domain via the chimney (unless he can fit down the exhaust vent to your building's boiler...)
12-22-09, 11:06 PM   #13
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm putting up decorations next year... the dummy hanging on the edge is just too good not to copy it.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » Best Christmas Lights Ever...