08-05-14, 03:57 AM   #1
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Solidice - another site hosting addons without permission

Would like to draw you attention to another site:

http://s o l i d i c e. c o m/downloads/world-of-warcraft?page=1

Last edited by Dolby : 08-05-14 at 07:51 PM. Reason: breaking url for search engine bots
08-05-14, 04:25 AM   #2
Lombra
A Molten Giant

oQueue, eh.. figures.
08-05-14, 04:28 AM   #3
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
oQueue, eh.. figures.
Yep, already formating my DMCA.
08-05-14, 09:37 AM   #4
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

You gotta be s****ing me. I would have figured Tiny would have known better than to host AddOns without permission.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
08-05-14, 02:56 PM   #5
Resa1983
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I do believe the email to send to their host is
[email protected]

Updated the base DMCA notice if it's any help.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf dmcatemplate.rtf (42.4 KB, 305 views)
08-05-14, 03:49 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
If you want to try talking to them directly, a 'conversation' has been started in this thread http://s o l i d i c e . c o m/forums/544/topic/site-upgrade. Down toward the bottom of page one and then continuing on from there.

IMOO, they are deliberately being more than just a little obtuse.

Last edited by Dolby : 08-05-14 at 07:52 PM.
08-05-14, 04:00 PM   #7
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Ress'ed a new thread, humm. Old problem, new site.

/me grabs popcorn

Edit: I see the thread got split.

Last edited by CobraA1 : 08-05-14 at 04:17 PM.
08-05-14, 04:19 PM   #8
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

So apparently, going by Tiny's logic, it's alright is somebody uploads his addons elsewhere.

wow addons are to be freely accessible as per the addon policy.

also, we make no modifications to the addons, just passing them along so the users are not forced to go to one site or into one tool (c.client)

why do you want one site to redistribute your free addon?
Somebody who isn't lazy should probably go out and do that out of spite, and watch how he reacts.

EDIT:

Seems they have enough sense to at least do something.

If you take notice, any addons indicating "All Rights Reserved", are not listed. We apologize for any inconvenience and mis understandings, our intentions were not meant to be malicious, or to insult the desires or rights of the authors.

We hope that we as a community, including Authors and Solidice, can move forward in a positive direction.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

Last edited by Coote : 08-05-14 at 04:30 PM.
08-05-14, 04:36 PM   #9
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
My personal favourite was

i'm not ignoring copyright. the works are intact and passed along as intended. restricting redistribution would be the issue here.
Ignoring the fact that once the addons on his site are out-of-date they are definately not being passed on as intended, go tiny .
08-05-14, 04:37 PM   #10
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

• from asking for donations ingame
  • just being a douchebag in general
  • adding questionable "features" to oQueue
  • unsolicited installation of Icebox
  • to now infringing copyright

... what's next?
08-05-14, 05:30 PM   #11
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
  • unsolicited installation of Icebox
If I'm reading that link correctly, that was never proven with any sort of evidence.
08-05-14, 07:20 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

F***ing worthless leeches. All of my addons they're illegally redistributing include clearly worded LICENSE files that clearly state they cannot be redistributed without permission, and there are no shortage of free resources on the Internet that could clear up these morons' willful ignorance about copyright if they actually cared to do the right thing instead of being d***wads and p***ing on the addon author community. I sincerely hope these a******s all get pancreatic cancer and die.

(Placing my bet on 4 words in this post being replaced by asterisks. Edit: None? Really? Guess the word filter isn't working...)

Last edited by Cairenn : 08-05-14 at 07:42 PM. Reason: You know I have to. ~ Cairenn
08-05-14, 07:40 PM   #13
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
(Placing my bet on 4 words in this post being replaced by asterisks. Edit: None? Really? Guess the word filter isn't working...)
*blink* *blink* *boggle*

I was surprised to see them not blocked out too. Will have to poke dolby to see what might have turned off the word filter.

Also, don't wish cancer on them. Wish something short term, with no long term ramifications. ie something that would really hurt a lot, but not injure.
08-05-14, 07:50 PM   #14
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Colitis might be good.
08-05-14, 08:42 PM   #15
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Last edited by Cairenn : Today at 06:42 PM. Reason: You know I have to. ~ Cairenn
I thought that might happen. >_>

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Wish something short term, with no long term ramifications. ie something that would really hurt a lot, but not injure.
But if there's no long-term ramifications, then how will they learn anything? While I haven't personally met any of the people operating these leech sites, I can only imagine they're the same type of people who think the rules don't apply to them in real life either, and always have some elaborate excuse for why what they're doing is okay, and will just keep taking advantage of you/the system/whatever as long as they're alive and free to do so.

Edit:
They didn't reply to my post on their forum thread, but they did remove the two addons of mine they were hosting. At least that was far less painful than dealing with TenTonHammer and their endless weaselling and begging me to "work with them".

Last edited by Phanx : 08-05-14 at 08:45 PM.
08-05-14, 09:19 PM   #16
ronburgundyy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

We can assure you that we are moving forward with the utmost desire to abide by the requirements of any and all licenses applied to any addon. Any possible oversight or inability to do so previously is regrettable and was surely not performed with malicious intent. We aim to only host / distribute those addons which are licensed as allowing such. Our deepest apologies for any offence, we wish to support and grow with this community, not spite it. Moving forward will surely be difficult as the stone has been thrown.

Contrast to TenTonHammer, we wish to work with you, not you work with us, and maybe we did not start off on the right foot.

I hope this can be taken sincerely.

Last edited by ronburgundyy : 08-05-14 at 09:32 PM.
08-05-14, 09:41 PM   #17
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
When you let someone like tiny weasly around the way he did you make it so very much harder on yourself.

Time will tell.

Originally Posted by ronburgundyy View Post
Contrast to TenTonHammer, we wish to work with you, not you work with us, and maybe we did not start off on the right foot.

I hope this can be taken sincerely.
08-05-14, 10:34 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
@ronburgundyy:

I'm very concerned that, of ALL the information you scraped off of Curse for the addons you are hosting, you removed the author name for every file except for the ones belonging to tiny.

Also, let me remind you of another reason (besides copyright) why authors hate finding versions of their work elsewhere:
We don't know it's there. If something is broken, we don't know it. If a user asks a question, we don't know it. If a complaint does come around our way about some bug or something not working, we spend time figuring out how that could be - they say they're using the latest version, but we already fixed that! (But we didn't upload the fix to your site, because we don't know about it.)

Lastly, yes. tiny sounding like a Comcast rep left a very bad taste in my mouth (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). Only hearing what he wants to hear, belligerently asking the same questions over and over... This is what I was reminded of while reading his comments. And this is only compounded by the fact that his is the only work that is attributed to an author on your site, AND that his work is marked All Rights Reserved (would he mind others uploading it elsewhere without his knowledge?).

/edit: As mentioned, you might just have tons of authors flocking to your site if you do it the right way. But there is no shortcut to success.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 08-05-14 at 10:41 PM.
08-05-14, 10:42 PM   #19
ronburgundyy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

As per the removal of the Author name, that was a poor design decision, and was not meant in any way to suggest that Solidice authored or laid claim to any addon in which the author name was omitted. One of several unfortunate mistakes during this endeavor.

We 100% intend, and have intended for persons to have the ability to claim their addons in the near future.

You also raise a very good point concerning the lack of notification to addon authors, which could certainly rise to confusion from users, and an increase in technical and support issues as there could be differences in available versions from different sources. We hope that once authors are able to claim their addons this concern will have been addressed, and in the mean time are ready and willing to work with the community to reduce and prevent further confusion, complications, or annoyances.

As it is not my place to comment on the actions of any other person, I can assure you that I am dedicated to ensuring a positive progression for the relationship of Solidice and the addon community and its authors.

Last edited by ronburgundyy : 08-05-14 at 10:53 PM.
08-05-14, 10:45 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes, but authors shouldn't have to "claim" their addons. At the very least, you should contact them at Curse and tell them that you have re-hosted the addon elsewhere. Otherwise, how would they know to go claim it?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Solidice - another site hosting addons without permission