06-18-09, 08:52 PM   #1
Satrina
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Brothersoft hosting addons without permission

So I got this email from Brothersoft.com informing me that I needed to activate my new account. Wait, new account? Who the hell is Brothersoft? Then I get an email telling me that Digits has been successfully released on Brothersoft. Wait, what? So I go and look, and sure enough there is Digits 1.0.3. Meh, no big deal I guess, since 1.x is actually under GPL. Clicking on my name in the publisher link, I see that SBF is also there. SBF is most certainly not licenced with a free-to-distribute licence. I have just issued these guys a third polite request to take down SBF. Tomorrow is a DMCA takedown if they don't comply.

They have a bunch of addons up there, in fact. Authors, you might want to take a look and see if your addons are there: http://www.brothersoft.com/games/tools_and_editors/
06-18-09, 09:07 PM   #2
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'm not an author but I certainly feel your outrage over this. I just sent them an e-mail informing them that they are violating copyright and should immediately take down any addons that are not GPL.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-18-09, 09:23 PM   #3
Jaffy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

That place looks a little.... sketchy. Who took the time to post the addons there? And who would really download em?
06-18-09, 09:52 PM   #4
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Brothersoft is actually pretty renowned for "hosting" software for download.

It's pretty crappy though to put someone's code up for distro without permission then putting THEIR email in for verification.
06-18-09, 09:59 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Syxx View Post

It's pretty crappy though to put someone's code up for distro without permission then putting THEIR email in for verification.
They may be renouned and all that, but my comp security won't even let me visit their site. Something on that site is obviously not safe.

Last edited by Petrah : 06-18-09 at 10:01 PM.
06-19-09, 01:20 AM   #6
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
They may be renouned and all that, but my comp security won't even let me visit their site. Something on that site is obviously not safe.
Perhaps "renowned" wasn't the exact word I should have used. I was trying to be somewhat nice about saying from what I've seen they are more notorious.

EDIT: and I just checked the site 2:30AM central and they are continuing to load up on addons. By they I mean the who ever is doing it (Be it (Oh!)Brothersoft.com or some nameless evildoer).

Last edited by Syxx : 06-19-09 at 01:23 AM.
06-18-09, 10:01 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Syxx View Post

Yeah I noticed that even though they listed the authors name, the website is WoW and the email is Brothersofts. So, erm, how would people contact the developer of the addon .. hmm .. hmm .. rofl.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
06-18-09, 10:11 PM   #8
Animammal
A Murloc Raider

Well as of right now, when I click on the link for SBF it says it has been removed so I guess they responded fast.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Brothersoft hosting addons without permission