03-24-09, 06:37 PM   #501
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by lordlundar View Post
Hey was it (the policy) poorly worded? Hell yeah! I will be the first to admit it. It needs clarification. And while it might(note the might. We don't know for sure) be a knee-jerk reaction based of the ad version of carbonite, There are a lot of responses from some mod authors and a portion of the user base which can be considered no less.
I have to disagree to the policy being a "knee-jerk" reaction.

If it was why goto the extended lengths that they did .. why not just say that add-ons can in no way have actual advertising in them?? Donation/website links in a about box are fine but no ADS. Why add all the other stuff?
03-24-09, 06:51 PM   #502
mrsquiggle
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I have to disagree to the policy being a "knee-jerk" reaction.

If it was why goto the extended lengths that they did .. why not just say that add-ons can in no way have actual advertising in them?? Donation/website links in a about box are fine but no ADS. Why add all the other stuff?
The ad version had only been out for a couple of weeks so I doubt very much it's a knee-jerk reaction to that. I bet lawyers have been formulating this thing for quite a while.

On a side note, I seriously doubt the ad version was ever expected to generate ad revenue. The only ad in there was an ad for the paid version. Basically it was "Here's the full version with some annoying popups", try it out and if you like it subscribe.
03-24-09, 06:58 PM   #503
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Wipe insurance could be a trillion dollar industry, especially with the idiots trying to raid these days.
~roflmfao~

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
03-24-09, 06:59 PM   #504
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mrsquiggle View Post
The ad version had only been out for a couple of weeks so I doubt very much it's a knee-jerk reaction to that. I bet lawyers have been formulating this thing for quite a while.

On a side note, I seriously doubt the ad version was ever expected to generate ad revenue. The only ad in there was an ad for the paid version. Basically it was "Here's the full version with some annoying popups", try it out and if you like it subscribe.

I wish I could find the screenie someone posted on the wow forums of it. It was a simple stationary box at the top of the screen basically stating what you said.
03-24-09, 07:05 PM   #505
spiel2001
nUI's Author

It is interesting to read the "unofficial" reply... I don't want to put words in anyone mouth, but reading between the lines, it seems like this was a calculated poke in Bliz's eye.

I would so love to be the fly on the wall in both camps.

PS: It is *SO* nice to have a place where people can actually have an intelligent, civil, discussion on the subject. I've gotten to where I just can't even read the WoW UI forum anymore.. the IQ level it just too low for me to be able to detect a signal anymore.

03-24-09, 07:10 PM   #506
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Yea, the UI forum used to be a tiny degree tolerable. Friday that ended.
03-24-09, 08:40 PM   #507
tsadok
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
6) Add-ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material.
World of Warcraft has been given a “T” by the ESRB, and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world. Blizzard Entertainment requires that add-ons not include any material that would not be allowed under these ratings.
Now manditory in every addon:

Code:
LeaveChannelByName("Trade")
03-24-09, 11:48 PM   #508
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I don't need to understand something to have an opinion about it. And my opinion of Blizzard's UI policy is this: The second objective requires clarification.
03-25-09, 12:41 AM   #509
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Yea, the UI forum used to be a tiny degree tolerable. Friday that ended.
Pfft, it was perhaps the only one. Of all the good, bad, and ugly that Blizz has ever done, their forums are the absolute worst. Barely function, impossible to search, slower than the second coming...

Speaking of which... if Blizz posts a serious reply or clarification to Friday's bomb, would someone be so kind as to repost it here? I don't think i have the stamina to tackle that mess over on the official forums.

03-25-09, 12:50 AM   #510
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I always do, don't I?
03-25-09, 12:55 AM   #511
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Our Hero!

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!
03-25-09, 12:55 AM   #512
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I always do, don't I?
True. One of the reasons we are all lucky to be graced by such awesome admins. (And kudos for having the patience and hardiness to read that mess!)

03-25-09, 12:57 AM   #513
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Landrell View Post
Our Hero!
Pssst.... that would be Heroine...

03-25-09, 02:54 AM   #514
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
I responded to someone on the official forums. Admittedly my responses are much more heated then normally here but Im editing as Im pasting

I don't agree with any of the rules of the policy change period.

If I download an add-on I know is going to degrade my fps to 5 fps, I can do that.
If I download an add-on that takes up more core memory on my system then they intended I can do that.
If I wanna pay for add on I can do that.

STATING to me , THAT I CANNOT DO THIS , is . illegal. ( In California anyhow ) Especially if I do this, don't run the add-ons and I become a "banned" statistic.

There's nothing to slip through, Blizzard is telling me, their customer, I cant buy milk. Bread. Cereal. Gas. Add-ons.

They are saying to me I cant do something outside of their game. That's none of their **** business. If I wanna roll to the guys house and beg him for the addon, again thats none of their business. That fact that they think it's ok that they tell me it is, is way beyond sensible. It's flat out illegal. It infringes on my personal space. It infringes on my rights ( yes, I did some digging and telling someone in a business sense they cannot do something outside of your product, tracking it, and using a punishing action against them within a EULA is indeed illegal in California), and seriously offends me.

I'm sitting here waiting to see how they re-word this policy. I'm also watching very closely to see how they handle the backlash.

What scares me the most is this IS NOT the blizzard that made the original WoW. This reeks of sony online entertainment.
03-25-09, 03:11 AM   #515
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I always do, don't I?
You can always count on Cairenn to post the news that matters to us UI types. Plus you can count on Cairenn to make sure that our boards don't degenerate into the same troll (forum not the Horde race) paradise that is the official boards these days.
03-25-09, 04:51 AM   #516
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Plus you can count on Cairenn to make sure that our boards don't degenerate into the same troll (forum not the Horde race) paradise that is the official boards these days.
What am I, chopped liver?
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
03-25-09, 05:18 AM   #517
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Chopped liver? My cat would looovvvveee you! However you do a great job in keeping the teeming masses of forums trolls at bay. However you also have an updater to work on too. Back to work...
03-25-09, 12:20 PM   #518
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Notwithstanding that fact that there's a certain contingent who believe add-ons should never receive a single penny under any circumstances, I would like to post a cold hard fact...

Following the statement from Blizzard, I changed nUI to no longer ask for donations as per the guidelines. Over the weekend it was very hard to tell the impact because (and I do *so* thank them) a lot of people who had never even used nUI made donations just to say how much Bliz's policy angered them and in support of the position I took.

However, that has cooled off and now I can get a hard look at the actual impact of the change.

My prior language stated as follows:

"nUI is user supported software and depends on your donations for it's survival. Please go to http://www.nUIaddont.com to make a donation to support nUI's continued development."

Following the change, my statement has been changed to the following...

"For user documentation, FAQ's, galleries, the latest download, technical support or to make a donation to support nUI, please visit http://www.nUIaddon.com"

The average across the last 48 hours puts donations down 62% over the daily average for the 13 days prior to the change in policy.

EDIT... because someone asked on the WOW UI forum...

Just curious, how does the last 48 hours compare to the last 48 hours before the policy change?
If I use just the last 48 hours prior to the whole blowup, I'm down over 70%

The last 24 hours... $165 -- the 24 hours before the new policy $570

Last edited by spiel2001 : 03-25-09 at 12:35 PM.
03-25-09, 12:31 PM   #519
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Quiet you.
03-25-09, 12:47 PM   #520
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
The last 24 hours... $165 -- the 24 hours before the new policy $570
So you were making $570 consistently? (if so I've clearly missed a good thing :P)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoW UI AddOn Development Policy discussion thread