AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by eThuz View Post
New Launcher?
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/26262...er-coming-soon
08-03-10, 05:36 AM   #942
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Oh ! And I was about to start redownloading my Cata installer tonight.

Now I see this would be a complete waste of time for now. We don't have any concrete data ATM to say if we can use our old patch installers to patch using the new launcher.

Will have to just wait and see for now.

Thanks for the link
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
08-03-10, 07:32 PM   #943
Bruhn
Banned
heres to hoping that they release more keys after the next build and that addons might finally be enabled =)
08-03-10, 07:37 PM   #944
eThuz
TeamBPS

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
Oh ! And I was about to start redownloading my Cata installer tonight.

Now I see this would be a complete waste of time for now. We don't have any concrete data ATM to say if we can use our old patch installers to patch using the new launcher.

Will have to just wait and see for now.

Thanks for the link
Looks like you can

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Q. Will I still be able to download patches from mirror sites?
A. Yes, standalone patches will still work.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...49660&sid=2000
08-03-10, 08:04 PM   #945
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Maybe. That is assuming the old patches use the same format as the new ones. It's possible the patch files may be different as the new launcher is going to push certain needed files to download first.

I like the idea of the launcher but hate the fact I will need to reinstall the whole client again. Kinda stinks. I expect a phone call from my ISP at the end of the month due to exessive bandwith usage ... guess I'll have to watch a few less netflix movies this month.

and thanks for the FAQ link eThuz ... helped clear up a few questions I had about the launcher. Seems it will pretty much still work in the same way just allow people to play while it patches the game.
08-03-10, 08:16 PM   #946
eThuz
TeamBPS

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Kinda stinks. I expect a phone call from my ISP at the end of the month due to exessive bandwith usage
Yep, I know the feeling mate. My ISP hates me on a general level now, we're on a first name basis! Atleast I can always buy a quota top-up (Gonna need it this cycle)

Seems it will pretty much still work in the same way just allow people to play while it patches the game.
It looks like it'll be like the current style of the WoW Free Trial is. You can download part of it, and play instantly, then the rest loads while you play.

If that's the case, hopefully the patches should still work with the new launcher
08-03-10, 08:17 PM   #947
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Bruhn View Post
heres to hoping that they release more keys after the next build and that addons might finally be enabled =)
Do not look for addons anytime soon. I would bet not before late September.
08-03-10, 10:32 PM   #948
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Guilds?

I've gotten on several times (leveled to 18ish) and I've not seen anyone on from the WoWI guild. What's a good time to find someone who can invite?
08-03-10, 10:33 PM   #949
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Yep, I know the feeling mate. My ISP hates me on a general level now, we're on a first name basis! Atleast I can always buy a quota top-up (Gonna need it this cycle)

It looks like it'll be like the current style of the WoW Free Trial is. You can download part of it, and play instantly, then the rest loads while you play.

If that's the case, hopefully the patches should still work with the new launcher
Hopefully it works like that. Doesnt really matter to me how I get my patches as long as i get them. I never had problems in the past.

Thanksfully I get a large amount of bandwith from my ISP. Live in the US so don't have to worry about "topping up" my aloted usage. According to Comcast they typically allow about 250gb a month. If you go over it they may call you to warn you. If it is a repeated offense they will cancel your service. I have recieved one call in like 5 years so I don't expect to hear from them.

I do a lot of streaming of movies and tv (typically in HD. what shows I can't get on my DRV's I get online), My GF is ALWAYS on vent with her guildies and/or playing wow, she streams music all the time, i have two PC's online at all times which are usually on 20 hours a day, an xbox 360 usually playing online or getting demos and also streaming netflix, iphone that conects to my network when i walk into my house.

Granted some of these thing dont use much bandwith but when you add it all up ...
08-03-10, 11:00 PM   #950
eThuz
TeamBPS

Hopefully it works like that. Doesnt really matter to me how I get my patches as long as i get them. I never had problems in the past.

Thanksfully I get a large amount of bandwith from my ISP. Live in the US so don't have to worry about "topping up" my aloted usage. According to Comcast they typically allow about 250gb a month. If you go over it they may call you to warn you. If it is a repeated offense they will cancel your service. I have recieved one call in like 5 years so I don't expect to hear from them.

I do a lot of streaming of movies and tv (typically in HD. what shows I can't get on my DRV's I get online), My GF is ALWAYS on vent with her guildies and/or playing wow, she streams music all the time, i have two PC's online at all times which are usually on 20 hours a day, an xbox 360 usually playing online or getting demos and also streaming netflix, iphone that conects to my network when i walk into my house.

Granted some of these thing dont use much bandwith but when you add it all up ...
Individually, it's all small, but looking at the big picture...

I get 350gb quota with iPrimus AU.
Unfortunately, that's split up into Peak (80gb, 12pm-12am) and Off-Peak (270gb, 12am-12pm)
After that, I'm capped (for the peak or off peak period of the day) to dial-up speeds, unless I buy a top-up ($5/GB)

Btw... Nexus One > iPhone :P
08-04-10, 01:48 AM   #951
Dark-Sider
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hi,

There was an official FAQ for the new launcher posted on the official forums
(http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...49660&sid=2000)

What if I have a low bandwidth connection?
A. After the initial beta release, users with connections below 1 MB/sec will be required to download all data before entering the game. Users with connections above 1 MB/sec will have the option of entering the game before all data has been downloaded and applied. Users at any bandwidth may exit the game and resume the download if they find the play experience undesirable.
Hopefully he means 1 Mbit/s and not 1 MByte/s. Otherwise they would implement a new feature for like 4% of the playerbase or so. If you got yourself a 10Mbit pipe or even more you certainly are not in need of streaming the game data.

bye
Darky
08-04-10, 01:57 AM   #952
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Hi,

There was an official FAQ for the new launcher posted on the official forums
(http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...49660&sid=2000)

Hopefully he means 1 Mbit/s and not 1 MByte/s. Otherwise they would implement a new feature for like 4% of the playerbase or so. If you got yourself a 10Mbit pipe or even more you certainly are not in need of streaming the game data.

bye
Darky
Doubt he means 1Mbit/s. From what I've been reading you can either stream it or download and patch it the old school way. If you stream it will just stream untill you have all game content so it's nothing more then an attempt to make patching less painful.

And do 96% of the players have such a slow connection they can't download more then 1 MB/s? 0_o
08-04-10, 03:10 AM   #953
eThuz
TeamBPS

Originally Posted by WyriHaximus View Post
Doubt he means 1Mbit/s. From what I've been reading you can either stream it or download and patch it the old school way. If you stream it will just stream untill you have all game content so it's nothing more then an attempt to make patching less painful.

And do 96% of the players have such a slow connection they can't download more then 1 MB/s? 0_o
My connection speed is 3.5 Mb/s, and it's not that slow (by comparison).
Optus in AU get to 8Mb/s, but I haven't heard of any 1MB/s connections
08-04-10, 04:47 AM   #954
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Figured it would be different per country. Here in NL most ADSL lines are sold as 20Mbit and the cable companies are selling 25 - 50Mbit as low/mid range and 60 - 120MB as top range for consumers.
08-04-10, 06:00 AM   #955
eThuz
TeamBPS

Figured it would be different per country. Here in NL most ADSL lines are sold as 20Mbit and the cable companies are selling 25 - 50Mbit as low/mid range and 60 - 120MB as top range for consumers.
Yeah, AU is about 10 years behind in Broadband Interwebs
08-04-10, 06:26 AM   #956
Dark-Sider
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hi,

over here in Germany also most consumer DSL plans are offered at 16Mbit/s. The actual speed is then determined by the length of your landline. Many customers only get 10Mbit/s or even less.

Some cable providers offer 100Mbit/s down and 6Mbit/s upstream. - I recently DLed Starcraft 2 at work with a 100Mbit pipe. The donwloader capped out at about 12Mbit/s. The upstream was not the issue since we're using a nice QoS router (m0n0wall - www.m0n0.ch really neat!)

So requering the user to have at least 10Mbit/s when the downloader keepas maxing out at around 10mbit is somehow strange.

bye
Darky
08-04-10, 06:40 AM   #957
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Yeah, AU is about 10 years behind in Broadband Interwebs
Not very surprising with only 2 or 3 (am I right?) trans-ocean connections to the rest of the world. So how is the lag then? Can't be a good plan to stream and play over such a huge distance .....
08-04-10, 06:59 AM   #958
eThuz
TeamBPS

Not very surprising with only 2 or 3 (am I right?) trans-ocean connections to the rest of the world. So how is the lag then? Can't be a good plan to stream and play over such a huge distance .....
I generally get ~450-500ms on average.
Started using Lowerping, got down to 200ms.
Stopped using it (Stopped raiding), it's only gone up to ~220

And yes, it's 3. One in Sydney, Darwin and Perth (Right, Top, Left)
Unfortunately, most WoW connections seem to go through Darwin->Singapore
08-04-10, 07:49 AM   #959
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

I generally get ~450-500ms on average.
Started using Lowerping, got down to 200ms.
Stopped using it (Stopped raiding), it's only gone up to ~220

And yes, it's 3. One in Sydney, Darwin and Perth (Right, Top, Left)
Unfortunately, most WoW connections seem to go through Darwin->Singapore
That is pretty nice for that distance imo :O. Your playing on EU or US realms? and is't asia good when playing on US?
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
So requering the user to have at least 10Mbit/s when the downloader keepas maxing out at around 10mbit is somehow strange.
Tried disabling p2p? Helps sometimes. Downloading here swings between 300 and 1800KB/s (with or without p2p). And tbh I don't know if the streaming servers are different then the current ones. Never had problems playing when messing around with the trial client (that streams content as needed).
08-04-10, 08:11 AM   #960
eThuz
TeamBPS

That is pretty nice for that distance imo :O. Your playing on EU or US realms? and is't asia good when playing on US?
I'm on the Caelestrasz US (It's in my sig :P)

Asia isn't bad to connect through, but Sydney->US is a more direct route, so a lot faster

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!