04-28-20, 11:50 AM   #21
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Installed != Loaded.

WoW will only load one resource pack, so there's nothing different to retrieve.
04-28-20, 01:42 PM   #22
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Unless I am missing something fundamental I think there is really only one possible way and that is as follows:

First create an addon that generates and account wide saved variable file that you copy and paste into another account wide saved variable file that can be read in by a second addon that uses that file to browse the quest titles, pick a language and display that languages version.

The processes involved would amount roughly to the following

1. You ( not the user ) starts wow with language 1
2. Addon1 processes a list of specific quest IDs to get access to the locale specific titles.
3. Addon1 then writes these questID, languageID, questTitle block into the wtf file
4. Repeat 1,2,3 for each language you want to include.
5. Outside of wow edit the wtf created by Addon1 and change the table name to match the one that would be used by Addon2. For each changed version of that wtf file ( when you change information stored, languages added etc ) you will have to instruct the users of Addon2 where they need to place that file, otherwise it will get replaced with an empty file.
6. The user starts wow with their chosen language
7. Addon2 validates if it supports the chosen language and suggests relaying language requirement to the developer ( you )
8. Assuming the language is supported Addon2 can then access the table to extract language specific versions of the quest title to do what you want it to do.. such as pick the language that this quest text is from ? Pick the French equivalent of this quest title ( shown in the users chosen language) etc.

The down side is you are reliant that the user knows where to put the wtf file. Also, that wtf file could grow very big due to the number of quests available and the number of languages available. There will also be a lot of preparation time due to the separate game sessions you will have to use to get access to that data.

Technically it is feasible .. but practically it may not be worth the effort unless it is for your own personal use as you could then simply use a single addon to do both and work at your own pace and add languages as you go.

Definitely a challenge and could be a good learning curve for you, but for a language buff like me .. not something I would do myself, even for myself.
04-28-20, 02:39 PM   #23
AnrDaemon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Yes, that could be an interesting programming and technical task. I.e. split languages into their own addons to reduce overhead.

However, I see a potential legal issue with such an addon, 'cause it would have to distribute original Blizzard texts.

Last edited by AnrDaemon : 04-28-20 at 02:42 PM.
04-28-20, 05:55 PM   #24
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by AnrDaemon View Post
Yes, that could be an interesting programming and technical task. I.e. split languages into their own addons to reduce overhead.

However, I see a potential legal issue with such an addon, 'cause it would have to distribute original Blizzard texts.

Oh yes, there is that .. clear forgot that it would be classed as distribution rather than just display. Yep, forget that idea..

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Is it possible to obtain quest title by questID ?