03-21-06, 08:37 AM   #1
Lozareth
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Site's Back

The site should be back up for a lot of you now. If it's not yet, give it a little more time, the DNS changes have to propagate around the web. Heh, currently I can access it at home but not at work.
03-21-06, 08:41 AM   #2
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

One word, WOOT !!
03-21-06, 08:56 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Good to hear Loz.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-21-06, 12:14 PM   #4
Rommin
A Murloc Raider
Weeeeeeeeeee! Back to the clubhouse!
03-21-06, 06:14 PM   #5
Lozareth
An Onyxian Warder

Uh oh, I screwed up the server already while trying to speed up the site. :X
Lol, trying frantically to fix it. I'm new to running a server. I gotta find a book about it.
03-21-06, 06:22 PM   #6
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Thats a big opps .. hehe
03-21-06, 07:07 PM   #7
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Lozareth
Uh oh, I screwed up the server already while trying to speed up the site. :X
Lol, trying frantically to fix it. I'm new to running a server. I gotta find a book about it.
There is no book "How to run a server." Are you renting a dedy? or setup your own in your room or whatever?

If you want books, get a book on LAMP.
03-21-06, 09:48 PM   #8
Lozareth
An Onyxian Warder

Renting. Hehe, I was just poking around in WHM, having fun, seeing what things do, then suddenly screaming "OH JESUS GOD NO" pokepokepoke "ARGHARGHARGH" pokepokepokepokepoke "phew...." Something magically fixed it.

And I just got done tracking down and fixing what was causing the forum lists to take so long to load.

Sooooo...should finally be smooth sailing from here on. Dedicated server means no more suspensions for using up too much of the server's processor and the site pays for itself. So now I can finally start adding things to the site that I've been holding back working on until it was stable.

Lol, if things go wrong again though, once I'm done pounding everything around to pulp with my fists, I'll finally take Cairenn up on her offer if it still stands. Thanks, Cairenn, and everyone else, for remaining supportive this whole time.
03-21-06, 10:52 PM   #9
BlackPhoenyx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Lol, if things go wrong again though, once I'm done pounding everything around to pulp with my fists, I'll finally take Cairenn up on her offer if it still stands. Thanks, Cairenn, and everyone else, for remaining supportive this whole time.
So.... If we were to crash your box...

Kidding..

Glad to see you back.
03-21-06, 11:09 PM   #10
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Renting. Hehe, I was just poking around in WHM, having fun, seeing what things do, then suddenly screaming "OH JESUS GOD NO" pokepokepoke "ARGHARGHARGH" pokepokepokepokepoke "phew...." Something magically fixed it.

And I just got done tracking down and fixing what was causing the forum lists to take so long to load.

Sooooo...should finally be smooth sailing from here on. Dedicated server means no more suspensions for using up too much of the server's processor and the site pays for itself. So now I can finally start adding things to the site that I've been holding back working on until it was stable.

Yea.. A quick suggestion for you. Don't poke around in the WHM if you dont know what you are doing. There are things in there that can really f*ck up your server big time. Also, just because you are on a dedicated server doesn't mean you are gone from fees. If you go over BW there are some pretty big fees most of the time. May I ask who you are with?
03-22-06, 03:28 AM   #11
katana
A Cyclonian

Congrats on having your site back dudes !

I've been spending more time tweaking my DAB setup so that it works fine with my Nostromo Speedpad n52 than I have spent playing the game, and I was actually a bit worried seing your website was down

Keep on the great job, you're providing us with awesome addons !
03-22-06, 06:35 PM   #12
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
WHM? As in cPanel? Bleh, cPanel is a pos.

What server you running? Assuming it's cPanel, gotta be a Linux based system. Apache web server with ovbiously Perl (you're running CGI scripts). PHP? If it's cPanel, you're most likely on PHP4 since as a month ago cPanel wasn't compatable with PHP5. And no doubt MySQL. Who doesn't run that? ha.

Running a server is simple. Just take each piece as a piece of in itself. Don't try to clump everything as one as the cPanel loves to do. Get a book on Apache and read about it's configuration files. httpd.apache.org will be your best friend when you're just getting to know things. I assume you already know about dev.mysql.com. For perl there's cpan.org and www.perlmonks.com (I love perl monks). And that's all the links I can think of off the top of my head...

As long as you have direct SSH access to the box and at least sudo privliages, I'd suggest dropping cPanel.
Personally, I dispise cPanel. But that's just my opinion.
03-22-06, 07:54 PM   #13
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by guice
WHM? As in cPanel? Bleh, cPanel is a pos.

What server you running? Assuming it's cPanel, gotta be a Linux based system. Apache web server with ovbiously Perl (you're running CGI scripts). PHP? If it's cPanel, you're most likely on PHP4 since as a month ago cPanel wasn't compatable with PHP5. And no doubt MySQL. Who doesn't run that? ha.

Running a server is simple. Just take each piece as a piece of in itself. Don't try to clump everything as one as the cPanel loves to do. Get a book on Apache and read about it's configuration files. httpd.apache.org will be your best friend when you're just getting to know things. I assume you already know about dev.mysql.com. For perl there's cpan.org and www.perlmonks.com (I love perl monks). And that's all the links I can think of off the top of my head...

As long as you have direct SSH access to the box and at least sudo privliages, I'd suggest dropping cPanel.
Personally, I dispise cPanel. But that's just my opinion.
In order to drop cpanel, hed need to learn SSH :P You might think running a server is simple, but it is not. Sure its simple when everything is alright, but what if something messes up? And I believe my server runs php5 w/ cpanel. oh and not everyone has mysql. I want to setup my own private box in my room but my ISP wont let unless i pay them 80$/m lol... which sorta kills the whole "free server" thing.
03-22-06, 08:17 PM   #14
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I want to setup my own private box in my room but my ISP wont let unless i pay them 80$/m lol
Lies. I know that's not stopping you from setting up an inhouse server. ... Not stopping me, at least.

Although, my inhouse server is just for development work. I'm tired of the whole server admin stuff now. I leave all that to DreamHost these days while I just worry about my website(s).

Learn SSH? There is no learning to SSH! You open the client, connect to the server. There's only learning if you want to setup RSA/DSA keys like I've done between my home box and DreamHost server, but other than that, nothing else. Now there is a bit of learning on the command line. But I can tell Loz is the kind of guy that already knows the command line or at least knows how to find the info as needed.
03-22-06, 08:28 PM   #15
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by guice
Lies. I know that's not stopping you from setting up an inhouse server. ... Not stopping me, at least.

Although, my inhouse server is just for development work. I'm tired of the whole server admin stuff now. I leave all that to DreamHost these days while I just worry about my website(s).

Learn SSH? There is no learning to SSH! You open the client, connect to the server. There's only learning if you want to setup RSA/DSA keys like I've done between my home box and DreamHost server, but other than that, nothing else. Now there is a bit of learning on the command line. But I can tell Loz is the kind of guy that already knows the command line or at least knows how to find the info as needed.
well then, he can drop cpanel and use ssh and errr, yea the 80$/m is stopping me from setting up an inhouse server. dont know how old you are, but im 16. how the hell would i get 80$/m? and also the cpanel fees and ****. though i dont really use it other than to setup accounts with whm.
03-22-06, 08:47 PM   #16
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by robodude666
well then, he can drop cpanel and use ssh and errr, yea the 80$/m is stopping me from setting up an inhouse server. dont know how old you are, but im 16. how the hell would i get 80$/m? and also the cpanel fees and ****. though i dont really use it other than to setup accounts with whm.
Eh, ISPs never know until there's an issue like you sucking up bandwidth. They don't do port scans, pointless. cPanel fees? cPanel isn't required to run a server. It's just a over glorafied GUI which does nothing more than edit text files in the back end. Unlike Windows, there is no "registery" or convoluted GUI to setup apps on *nix. Just a couple text files edits or a single command line command, sometimes an instance bounce and all done.
03-22-06, 09:01 PM   #17
Lozareth
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by robodude666
I got my first job at 16 and haven't been without since. Sure it was tough juggling school, football, and a job all at the same time, but I'm a tough guy. I did have to jettison my social life though. XD Even 20 hours a week at McDonald's will net you at least $100 spending cash a week.
04-11-06, 07:30 AM   #18
Einarrr
A Murloc Raider
ty loz for discord!

its great - even though i have cursed it many times
04-12-06, 01:39 PM   #19
Loviotor
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm getting an error when I try to load the discordmods page. It appears that there is either an error with the host or that there is simply too much traffic to the site at the moment. I'm not getting any errors with a tracert, and the page I am getting states that the connection was reset while trying to load the page (firefox) or a generic "page cannot be displayed" (IE). I'm trying to get all the mods I use updated to work properly with the latest patch. I'm not much of a coder (I'm a hardware tech), and I greatly appreciate all the work you (and all the other mod developers) have put into your works. I know it is often a thankless job (and it is a job, even if you aren't getting paid for it). So, the miniscule thanks that I provide isn't much, but, I have to say it.

Keep up the good work.
04-24-06, 03:21 PM   #20
Arin
A Fallenroot Satyr
I am not getting the hosting company error page anymore, but just a 404 error.

Edit: Well, back to the Lunarpages error. Shouldn't DNS have replicated by now?

Last edited by Arin : 04-24-06 at 04:28 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Site's Back