04-09-13, 11:42 AM   #1
quixadhal
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Submitting coordinate updates?

I'm not sure it's worth reporting specifics at the moment, as there could be MANY of these kind, but if you have a preferred way to get the data, let us know!

This isn't a bug, per se, it's a case of the quest database data having incorrect coordinates. I suspect this happened when Blizzard rebuilt the old world in Cataclysm, and shifted things around.

In this particular case:
----
Cooking Daily for Stormwind

QuestID 26183, The King's Cider, Alliance.

The objective reports the quest completes at coordinates 55.0, 73.1
The actual turn-in, at the NPC Robby Flay, is at coordinates 50.5, 71.9
----
I'm wondering, considering the volume of updates, if it would be worth the effort to have a small beta-only module that lets you submit things directly from in-game? While you could do it automatically, the number of people using this addon might make a significant impact on your server, but perhaps when you get a quest, or turn it in, if the coordinates in-game don't match the database, it could ask if you want to submit the correction.

Low priority, but eventually I know you'll want the data itself to be updated... and better for it to be semi-automated than rely on hand-edited submissions I think.

04-09-13, 12:56 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
There is no way to automatically send it from within the game, but i'm considering doing up an SQL database of everything I have so far, and a website for people to submit changes.

Your thread did make me realize I missed a pile of quests when I was breaking them up into subcategories... noticed it when I couldn't find that quest in any of the current databases... which could be why it wasn't showing right for you

End = "2511|301|32|50.61|71.73",

So we do have the right one already.

04-10-13, 05:03 AM   #3
quixadhal
A Fallenroot Satyr

That'd work too.

Heck, a few of us tinkerers would enjoy an SQL dump file to play with, were you to go down that path.

05-08-13, 07:44 AM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

Please pardon my cynical joke here... I just had to make it. I couldn't resist.

-- All of this effort will be moot, since Blizzard is about to update again, and more than likely scramble things again!

It's almost like they love to frustrate addon authors and confuse users. Oh, well.

10-09-13, 06:17 PM   #5
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Question Should a new thread be created for quest coordinate updates?

This thread looks like the best place for me to ask my question since it deals generally with coordinate updates.

Since I have edited the Quests81-85.lua file to show the proper coordinates for a couple of quests in Mount Hyjal, should I post the new code for Rythal to decide if it should be included in the next update? If so, where would be the best place to post it, . . . a new thread maybe?

I have posted the individual corrections in this thread, http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48235. It will give you an idea of what quests I have updated.

I also changed the coordinates to the quests "Relieving the Pain" and "The Protectors of Hyjal" to give players a "safer" place to land before attacking the invaders in Sethria's Roost. In its present form, players will land close enough to possibly draw aggro before their helpers land and dismount. I moved the coordinates closer to the tunnel entrance where players are sent the first time they go there with the little Night Elf Rogue.

Update:
I attempted to start a new Quests Update thread so I could post the updated code of the Quests81-85.lua file, but couldn't even preview the post let alone post it. I tried this on two different browsers without success. So I assume that since I am new and not an author or compiler, I do not have permission to do that. I'm ok with that.

Anyway, if you want the corrections and changes I made to the the quests I corrected except the coordinate changes I made to "Relieving the Pain" and "The Protectors of Hyjal", they are in my original post I cited above.

I appreciate the opportunity to contribute where I can.

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 10-12-13 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added info on failure to post new code for Quests81-85.lua

10-18-13, 07:00 AM   #6
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
I thought it might be wise to bring up the subject of actually making a unified quest database. Basically the addon Grail has the quest information that is needed by my understanding of Carbonite except for the objectives, which could be added pretty easily from parsing the new file formats and creating a loadable on demand module in Grail. If we could create a Carbonite version that uses Grail it would allow Carbonite development to proceed without the need to worry about quest information updates. And the updates that are provided to Grail from users of other addons that use it would also benefit the Carbonite users as well.

10-18-13, 02:45 PM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
It would be nice, and is definitely more doable now with the changes to the quest database.... the only problem would be the missing information, the main thing people want from the carbonite quest database is the quest blobs, and those as far as I can tell were created either by datamining and math, or they had some program to let them easily draw them / plot them out.

The objectives data was never complete, just how many objectives there are which is why unless 2 people were on the same quest, it only showed '?'s for the current objective.

10-18-13, 03:34 PM   #8
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
The interesting thing about the quest blobs is Blizzard now does something similar with its highlighting of the areas on the map where the quest items can be found. I would think needing really accurate information initially would not be needed all that much, and as people quest they can report more accurate information that could be integrated into the addon as needed.

10-19-13, 01:02 AM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The difference is with blizzards blobs you can only display one at a time, and you can't colour it... while the carb data lets us play upto 12 at a time, in any color I want, including overlaps

10-19-13, 07:40 PM   #10
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The difference is with blizzards blobs you can only display one at a time, and you can't colour] it... while the carb data lets us play up to 12 at a time, in any color I want, including overlaps
Heh.... Some British DNA must have temporarily taken control...

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Submitting coordinate updates?