11-03-08, 08:17 AM   #1
Puck
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

New error for no reason

ok, first off I just wanna say I'm not an Addon rookie. I ran an average of 400-450 INSTALLED addons prior to 3.0. (Not all running at once on each character, but there for certain ones). I never had a single problem or error show up after doing my initial install / debug of the addons. But Blizzard hates me now, and thus has giving me nothing but problems with 3.0+

Ok, so here's the lowdown before we get to work. I had everything, FINALLY, working right without errors. I decided I was NOT going to be upgrading any of the addons that I had because they worked right. (Why fix something that's not broken!?) I installed EquipmentCompare because EQCompare didn't show me the tooltips in the compared and equip windows for RatingBuster. All I did was uncheck (Disable) EQCompare and enabled the other, logged in and started getting errors like no tomorrow. Altaholic being the biggest one not working right that made me upset. So I reverted back to how I was, rebooted and logged in, still errors. I have finally gotten it down to this one error now, and I cannot figure out what the problem is, so I'm hoping someone here can help me with my problem.

When I click on a link in chat / trade to view the info, it works just fine, but as soon as I close the tooltip, this is the error that I get:
GameTooltip_OnHide:
1 : Interface\FrameXML\GameTooltip.lua:154: attempt to index local 'self' (a nil value)(tail call): ?:
<string>:"*:OnHide":1: in function `OnHide'
EQCompare-1.4\EQCompare.lua:381: in function <Interface\AddOns\EQCompare\EQCompare.lua:380>
(tail call): ?:
<in C code>: ?
<in C code>: in function `SetHyperlink'
Interface\FrameXML\ItemRef.lua:86: in function <Interface\FrameXML\ItemRef.lua:2>:
Blizzard_CombatLog\Blizzard_CombatLog.lua:3569: in function <...ace\AddOns\Blizzard_CombatLog\Blizzard_CombatLog.lua:3513>
<in C code>: in function `orgfunc'
Prat-3.0-3.0 (Beta Version) \services\links.lua:108: in function <Interface\AddOns\Prat-3.0\services\links.lua:98>
Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2454: in function <Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2453>:
<in C code>: in function `ChatFrame_OnHyperlinkShow'
<string>:"*:OnHyperlinkClick":1: in function <[string "*:OnHyperlinkClick"]:1>
:
Stubby-130\Stubby.lua:355: in function <Interface\AddOns\Stubby\Stubby.lua:325>
<string>:"*:OnHide":1: in function `OnHide'
EQCompare-1.4\EQCompare.lua:381: in function <Interface\AddOns\EQCompare\EQCompare.lua:380>
<in C code>: in function `SetHyperlink'
Interface\FrameXML\ItemRef.lua:86: in function <Interface\FrameXML\ItemRef.lua:2>:
Blizzard_CombatLog\Blizzard_CombatLog.lua:3569: in function <...ace\AddOns\Blizzard_CombatLog\Blizzard_CombatLog.lua:3513>
<in C code>: in function `orgfunc'
Prat-3.0-3.0 (Beta Version) \services\links.lua:108: in function <Interface\AddOns\Prat-3.0\services\links.lua:98>
Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2454: in function <Interface\FrameXML\ChatFrame.lua:2453>:
<in C code>: in function `ChatFrame_OnHyperlinkShow'
<string>:"*:OnHyperlinkClick":1: in function <[string "*:OnHyperlinkClick"]:1>

---
Now here's my problem: nothing really changed! I did end up updating Altaholic, and that works again. But I haven't updated anything else prior to this problem. And it only seems to be when I'm closing a tooltip from a linked item. It doesn't do it when I hover over it, only click on it and close it. Any help would be appreciated. If you really need a list of my addons, let me know I'll see what I can do. But there are 169 folders in my /addons/ directory.
11-03-08, 08:34 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Where did you get EQCompare from?
11-03-08, 09:59 AM   #3
Puck
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
Where did you get EQCompare from?
I try to get all my addons from here (except some from the creator themselves; ie Auctioneer, DBM). I did just find out it was EQCompare that I changed TO, not from. it was EquipCompare that I had originally. So I just redownloaded EquipCOmpare and gonna go back to that and try it. I was uploading another addon to my wifes PC and realized I deleted the wrong one. So I'll be checking that out in the next few min. Cuz it even does it if I click on someone's link for a quest, but not for tradeskills (I use ATSW 0.7.1) I'm gonna go back to EquipCompare and try that and see if it still happens. Hopefully it won't break my Altoholic.

EDIT: Ok, just checked for update of EQCompare, I guess I didnt get it here cuz WoWI doesn't have it at all. so now I'm scared! (I don't like curse and that wowui due to history of viri)

Last edited by Puck : 11-03-08 at 10:03 AM.
11-03-08, 10:14 AM   #4
Puck
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Problem Solved!

well, I guess I should start keeping a list of some sort on items I'm using now that I fixed my problem, that way if I wanna go back to one addon, I have it. (I do keep my deleted addons backup up usually, just in case, but for some reason deleted it this time).

Anyways, Between asking me where I got EQCompare and uploading some addons for the wife, I realized I was originally using the EquipCompare from here (not sure where I got EQCompare from still), and that was what was causing my problems. Unfortunatly, the whole reason I was trying to find a replacement was because my RatingBuster tooltips weren't showing up in the tooltip for my Currently Equipped items, but I guess I don't need to see +0 for all my stats anyways.

Now I just gotta find out how to get hovering tooltips to work with this one. It worked in EQCompare, but not worth the hassle of having errors!

So after installing the right addon, and deleting ALL files related to EQCompare, I'm back to being bug free! thx for the help. And I will keep trying to better my gaming experience.

Last edited by Puck : 11-03-08 at 10:20 AM.
11-03-08, 10:24 AM   #5
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Glad you got your problem resolved. If you ever have a similar issue, you can give tekKompare a shot. I switched to it quite some time ago (around TBC iirc) since I had problems finding a working EQcompare at the time.

11-03-08, 10:29 AM   #6
Puck
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Gemini_II View Post
Glad you got your problem resolved. If you ever have a similar issue, you can give tekKompare a shot. I switched to it quite some time ago (around TBC iirc) since I had problems finding a working EQcompare at the time.
Yeah, I had TekKompare pre-3.0 but it hasn't been updated on here since 8-17-08 and I try to only use "wrath compatible" addons since they screwed up so much stuff this patch. I do see now that it's claimed to be compatible, just haven't tried it. So I will give that a shot and hope nothing else breaks! thx for the update, forgot about that one til you said it and I checked my backups from prepatch.
11-03-08, 10:58 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
my RatingBuster tooltips weren't showing up in the tooltip for my Currently Equipped items,
That is a setting in the RatingBuster options. Did you check there?

Also, while it is a good idea to only update mods if they are broken or have had a feature added that you want, it is also a good idea to update mods after a huge patch such as 3.0. While some mods have seemed to work great on the outside, that is not always the case on the inside. (Then again, sometimes the authors don't notice that, either.) It was difficult to gather from your post if you had updated your addons after you started getting errors or if you were trying to get help for old versions. But I'm glad that you have things working now.

edit: Also, a good habit is to always report which version of a mod you are using and from where when submitting a bug report.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » New error for no reason