10-28-09, 09:12 AM   #1
Undeadish
A Kobold Labourer
"<<player Is Inspecing You>>"

Hi

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forums, but:

1) Is it possible to create an addon which will print a red message on the middle of the screen saying "PLAYERNAME IS INSPECTING YOU"?
1b) If the above is possible, does such an addon already exist?

Thanks in advance.
10-28-09, 09:14 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Nope. Not unless that player and yourself were running the same addon.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-28-09, 10:50 AM   #3
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I can think of a potential workaround. I'm not sure it would work though.

XPerl has some feature that tells you who is targetting you. If a programmer could take that kind of information, and then check if that target is within inspecting range, then the addon could assume that you're being inspected.

It should work, in theory. Again, I don't know if it's even possible to make all the checks.

I'd err on the side of no, not possible.
10-29-09, 03:16 PM   #4
Santiclause
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're paranoid enough to care about whether somebody is inspecting you, then such a "solution" could do naught but lead you to suspect anybody who casually glances your way; they're stealing my secretsssssssss!

As far as I'm aware, there is no "UNIT_INSPECTING" event, or anything of its ilk.
10-29-09, 04:56 PM   #5
Akryn
A Firelord
As Seerah said, it's not possible. There's no way to query who is inspecting you, or who is targeting you. Some addons will tell you who is targeting you out of the list of units whose targets are known but this is only units that either are you, your pet, your group members, your raid members, their targets, the targets of those targets, etc. This is limited and still doesn't tell you who is inspecting you.
10-29-09, 05:54 PM   #6
zero-kill
A Firelord

I just spam a popular song, ♫♪Why you so obsessed with me?!♫♪
10-29-09, 06:52 PM   #7
Releaux
A Murloc Raider
I'm glad this notification isn't in game. In EverQuest, this notification was turned on by default and some players got it into their head that being inspected without being asked was somehow rude. Like "I'm going to fall on the floor and have a screaming tantrum" rude. Some of the yelling matches I saw over this made anything you ever saw in Barrens chat pale in comparison.

The inspect function was there to compensate for EQ's inability to visually depict gear in any adequate fashion. It was a software substitute for what you would do by looking at someone and seeing that they have T9 shoulders on.

Actually, WoW has the opposite problem - it has so many gear options that there's no way anyone could have everything memorized, hence the inspect function.
10-29-09, 07:58 PM   #8
Xylan Trueheart
Premium Member
Premium Member
Back when

Yes i remember the numerous freak outs and debates on Everquest about the inspect notification function. If anyone remembers WoW had this function too back in Open Beta and was causing freak outs as well. Blizzard smartly removed this function when the game became retail.
10-29-09, 11:10 PM   #9
Dawn
A Molten Giant

I can't believe how someone can freak out because he's being inspected. That's freaking disgusting. I really don't get it! Just thinking of such a possibility is psychotic.
10-30-09, 01:02 AM   #10
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I can't believe how someone can freak out because he's being inspected. That's freaking disgusting. I really don't get it! Just thinking of such a possibility is psychotic.
Such were the minds of the average EQ player. To this day it cracks me up that people cared. You would think someone would be proud to show off their gear.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-30-09, 12:27 PM   #11
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The mentality was "OMG! You're STARING at me!"

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-30-09, 04:16 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Stop looking up my skirt!!!
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-30-09, 05:23 PM   #13
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't think you're tall enough for all that...

/duckhiderun

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » "<<player Is Inspecing You>>"