10-24-11, 04:56 AM   #1
invictus13
A Defias Bandit
Will Pay $300 for working Polite Whisper / player score addon

The title says it. I will donate $150 to a programmer who can update Polite Whisper Wrath Extended for use in Cataclysm and send me a working copy.

I will donate another $150 to a programmer who can make the Polite Whisper Addon integrate with Player Score- thus allowing me to populate my polite whisper searches with ONLY high player scored players.

Do this, then e-mail me at [email protected]. Upon verification that the addon works, I will pay pal $300 (or $150 if you only did half the job) to a bank account of your choice. You can feel free to use the addon however else you would like.

If the addon ceases to work, and I need another update, I will pay you again for your time to update it.

This offer is REAL. I am credible. And a well known player on my server for having used the addon a long time ago to set up world PvP and cross-realm BG's. I just started playing again two weeks ago, and I can't really see myself enjoying this game without the capabilities that the add-on gave me.

- Invictus of Maelstrom

Last edited by invictus13 : 10-24-11 at 07:29 AM.
10-24-11, 06:25 AM   #2
unlimit
Lookin' Good

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm pretty sure - as wonderful as getting that $300 dollars might be - it's against the rules to solicite paying for an addon here, though I could be wrong.

I'll look at the first addon and see if I can get it to work for you, for free.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
10-24-11, 07:25 AM   #3
invictus13
A Defias Bandit
Is it really against the rules? If so let me apologize in advance.

But it seems like if you are dealing with a community of programmers, that they would be happy to see someone get paid for their work. I would imagine it will take you at least 5 or 6 hours of work to do what it is that I am asking. And it's not the sort thing a normal person can do (I personally got a C in my C++ software engineering course).

That's skilled labor. You deserve to be paid.
10-24-11, 08:18 AM   #4
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by invictus13 View Post

But it seems like if you are dealing with a community of programmers, that they would be happy to see someone get paid for their work. I would imagine it will take you at least 5 or 6 hours of work to do what it is that I am asking. And it's not the sort thing a normal person can do (I personally got a C in my C++ software engineering course).

I'll have to look at the Holy Site Rules to be sure, but I'm thinking it's against the rules for an author to solicit a payment for an existing addon (definitely true, according to Blizzard's rules)but not against the rules for someone to offer to pay an author for their work. Hence the donations tab on many of the addons available on WoWI.

As for the authors deserving to be paid, you won't find many arguments against that here.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
10-24-11, 08:18 AM   #5
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by invictus13 View Post

You can always 'donate' to said authors ;D Donating is a legit way~

Aggro Color to KG Panels Borders - Nibelheim
Lua Based UI Hider - Nibelheim
Custom LUA PowerText - Stuf - Nibelheim, Seerah
10-24-11, 08:21 AM   #6
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Lily.Petal View Post
Well said Lily!

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
10-24-11, 08:57 AM   #7
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Originally Posted by Lily.Petal View Post
Just like lobbyi... donating to politicians
10-24-11, 10:01 AM   #8
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Call it what you want, donation or payment, you pay someone for some service. In this case it's an addon author that gives away addons, but also accepts some coins from those that really dig their work. I.e. if someone asks for an update for payment, it's okay because you don't pay to use the addon, you pay for someone to update it -who does the coding doesn't really mater when an addon has been dead for a long time tbh.

Also, can always take this in e-mails then the thread won't be locked too, hehe.
10-24-11, 10:25 AM   #9
unlimit
Lookin' Good

Originally Posted by unlimit View Post
I'm pretty sure - as wonderful as getting that $300 dollars might be - it's against the rules to solicite paying for an addon here, though I could be wrong.

I'll look at the first addon and see if I can get it to work for you, for free.
I got it to at least show me the frame, but something like this is a little out of my league. I'm sure someone else in here will help though, if it is indeed perfectly okay!

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
10-24-11, 11:12 AM   #10
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What I usually do is when I whisper multiple people at once, I right-click their name in chat and click "Move to Whisper Window" from the menu. This creates a temporary chatframe just for that person so you can keep track of the conversation with them. This is available in the default UI.
10-24-11, 01:09 PM   #11
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I bet the original author would've continued developing his addon for 300 bucks

.. unless he really has escaped the chains of Azeroth and is earning that amount each week
10-24-11, 03:21 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

1. You did not include any links to the addon(s) you want updated.

2. Unless the addon is licensed under the GPL or some other license that explicitly gives others permission to modify and/or redistribute the addon, it would be a violation of copyright law for anyone to do so. You should probably look into this before paying someone money.
10-24-11, 04:19 PM   #13
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Technically Polite Whisper Wrath Extended is already breaking the license since Polite Whisper has none and is All Rights Reserved, but how the community handles licenses is slightly wonky.

It's not exactly explicit, but #1 in UI Add-On Development Policy can be interpreted as any addon you pay for that isn't publicly available isn't allowed. If you paid $300 to someone and they released the addon publicly, it would be ok since you were just paying for them to update the addon, and it's still freely available.

Which means in order for this to be allowed, you need the original Polite Whisper authors permission for someone to redistribute the addon. Then you would be in the clear with someone being paid to do this.
10-24-11, 04:53 PM   #14
Vlad
A Molten Giant

If someones does update it and mail you it and you pay him 150 or 300 bucks, no one would know and then no one would even care about your transaction. *ninja* I guess what I am saying is, it depends on the spirit you do this in, hehe.

But Shadowed is onto something indeed.

Last edited by Vlad : 10-24-11 at 05:04 PM.
10-25-11, 01:38 AM   #15
invictus13
A Defias Bandit
I really appreciate the help. I've got two guys that have worked on it so far. If your names not Ranklor or Lennon please do not waste any of your time.

The work order is being filled as we speak.

Thanks to you all so much! I'll let you know how it turns out.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Will Pay $300 for working Polite Whisper / player score addon