09-11-12, 08:49 PM   #41
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
I agree with "RytOn" for a name.

Would using Kickstarter be against the Blizzard Add-on rules?

Also, another thing to think about...I just hope CBC doesn't still try to get your add-on banned for some "functionality" or "look and feel" reason...
That is an interesting question. Donations are allowed and that is precisely what kickstarter is. Not sure if you can set a minimum and still consider it a donation however. Certainly worth looking in to.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-11-12, 10:00 PM   #42
gorkha
A Kobold Labourer
100%. Rythal is the man, saved my ass with those fan updates. The "official" Carbonite update pissed me off enough to finally register on these forums to express my gratitude to Rythal. And.. errrr thanks to whoever whoever put his version on TPB - THX i was an idiot and overwrote his good version with the crap version.
09-11-12, 10:06 PM   #43
Beregwyn
A Murloc Raider
Thank You

I have been using Carbonite for a long time. At one point I paid for it. I just wanted to thank you for a job well done. I for one will never be using it again. I, as a developer myself, am appalled my the smugness of the carbonite developers. I understand having other obligations outside of a game. I have three kids, a full time job and a reservist in the military all at the same time. That does not give you the right to be smug. I myself would have been grateful for the help. If you do decide to do your own add on, I will be donating. These smug individuals have gotten enough of my money. Again, thank you very much.
09-11-12, 10:27 PM   #44
lgscarfia
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite map still broken

I have had enough of carbonites issues ive been down and unable to play for like two days trying to get the map to work, honestly it worked with Rythal's fix. after the update it went to crap again. map and minimap still pretty much fadded out and no matter what i do cant fix it decided to go back to rythals fix and it is no longer there. after reading posts ive realized that the Carbonite developers are just a joke pass on the project to an active wow fan to continue like other addon makers have.

oh and officially Addons are all licensed by Blizzard Entertainment, since it is thier code they are modifying...copyright doesnt exist here.
09-11-12, 10:32 PM   #45
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by lgscarfia View Post
oh and officially Addons are all licensed by Blizzard Entertainment, since it is thier code they are modifying...copyright doesnt exist here.
This is incorrect and false information.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-11-12, 10:44 PM   #46
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

<snip>
Absolutely incorrect. The creator or creators of a work retain full copyright. No Blizzard employee has ever worked on one of my projects, nor have I been asked to waive my rights to them. Nor am I using Blizzard's code - I am hooking into the public-facing API they have provided, using my own code.

There is widespread confusion over Blizzard's AddOn Policy, but if you read it they are not claiming ownership (which they could not, legally, do). What they are stating is a set of guidelines for what they will allow to run on their game. They have the ability to prevent an AddOn from running in their game if it does not conform to these standards. That is all.

I'm done de-railing this thread, but I felt it was important to clarify this.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-11-12, 11:03 PM   #47
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin

09-11-12, 11:19 PM   #48
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
*slips a pillow onto the desk so Cairenn can't get hurt*
09-11-12, 11:41 PM   #49
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

When ever there is a dispute about who can do what with an addon we get these posts.

Here is a short version for all those people following up:

1) Blizzard doesn't own your addon or its code.
2) Copyright is automatic at the time of creation. You do NOT have to register it for it to be so.
3) If there isn't a license then its all rights reserved
4) I shot Kennedy, Lincoln, Reagan, McKinley, Jackson, Garfield, and the sheriff but not the deputy. In that order.

On a more direct note: Rythal you are certainly taking this all in stride. 2 thumbs up!

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-11-12, 11:56 PM   #50
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
*slips a pillow onto the desk so Cairenn can't get hurt*
Thanks Rythal. It does get painful after a while. /sigh
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
4) I shot Kennedy, Lincoln, Reagan, McKinley, Jackson, Garfield, and the sheriff but not the deputy. In that order.
*snark*
09-11-12, 11:57 PM   #51
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
On a more direct note: Rythal you are certainly taking this all in stride. 2 thumbs up!
Meh... I program for the love of programming, life's to short to get worked up over the little things
09-12-12, 12:29 AM   #52
Serra44
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
So... my first challenge, is coming up with a name for it.. I've never been good at names for anything I've ever written (first WoW project, but been writing stuff for many previous games, hell some is even here on MMOUI for EQ2 under a different name :P)

I know a lot of you said names mixing google or carbonite, but my goal with the new project is something completely modular.. you can pick or chose what you want to run... so in theory it would be [NAME] Maps, [NAME] Quest, [NAME] PVP etc..

After I figure out a name, the next step is figuring out which part is wanted the most.. (I'm fairly sure I know the answer but really it's up to you the users which part you want first and one can never be sure)

So let the fun begin!
You're probably far too modest for it, but just bloody name it 'Rythal' already! You deserve it and everyone who's used your fan update will be looking for it in the right place. Besides, it sounds like 'Right-all' which is perfect for what you do!

The part which is wanted the most.. well hmm, lemme think... MAP!
09-12-12, 12:32 AM   #53
mynex
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Impossible: WoW's Lua is sandboxed, meaning there is no access to the filesystem or third-party programs. I'm also quite sure nobody wants to download and install an SQL server to run an AddOn.
Yes, WoW's Lua is sandboxed, however, calls to client side are easily enough done to a DB, and no, you don't need an SQL server to access information in a DB.

The sharing of info (Quest/Item/etc ID's) can be set up to be done outside of WoW, there's plenty of examples of this already (Gatherer, Gathermate, and the like).

This is not too complicated, but does take some finesse.

Mynex
09-12-12, 12:52 AM   #54
Peterbus
A Kobold Labourer
So, I too set up an Account just for getting a chance to talk to Rythal.

I've used Carbonite for a while now. At first I used quite a few Features, but most of them are simply overload. Why did they make it this way? Money of course. They wanted to supply a suite that did most of what was needed when they were still able to leech money off of people.

As it has been stated over and over again: They don't care.

Rythal does. And so do we.

I was very happy with the fan update and I'm sad to see how the CB Authors react. Simply a shame. No decency in their bones.

What I am here for is this:
I would like to offer to help with your standalone Addon, since a Name has been established (RyTon's Carbonized [Module Name] it was, I believe).

Keep up the good work and attitued!
09-12-12, 06:02 AM   #55
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mynex View Post
Yes, WoW's Lua is sandboxed, however, calls to client side are easily enough done to a DB, and no, you don't need an SQL server to access information in a DB.

The sharing of info (Quest/Item/etc ID's) can be set up to be done outside of WoW, there's plenty of examples of this already (Gatherer, Gathermate, and the like).

This is not too complicated, but does take some finesse.

Mynex
Ok, then please explain: How would an AddOn access an SQL database? Gatherer and Gathermate do not use one - I can't even conceive of how you think this is the case; it is simply not possible.

AddOns use SavedVariables (which are global variables within WoW's Lua environment) that are read from disk when the UI loads and saved to disk when the UI is unloaded. All of this is done on a per-file-per-AddOn basis in WTF/Account/<account name>/SavedVariables/ and/or WTF/Account/<server name>/<character name>/SavedVariables/. Each file contains one or more Lua tables or strings or numbers.

Edit: Just to clarify, I've been writing AddOns for nearly five years now. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-12-12, 06:24 AM   #56
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Confirming with Torhal, the only way you would be able to benefit from an external data source is to export and import via an external application to read from/write to the external data source and read from/write to the saved variables files while not in the game so that the data is available in game next time you log in. At no point can you change data in an external source and have it available in game without running the special routine after logging out of the game.
09-12-12, 07:21 AM   #57
EmyrB
A Murloc Raider
Do It! Do It! Do It!

ugh... it is sooooo tempting to do carbonite-mop-050408 :/ the two glaring bugs I had left (green missing texture in twilight highlands... start area second level maps), are the 2 things they actually fixed in 5041.... but I keep slapping my hand and saying NO!
This would be sooo cool!!
09-12-12, 07:59 AM   #58
yodawhip
A Murloc Raider
I would call it Prodigy or Progeny or something "all-encompassing" like PanOptik(z) (panoptic)

Great to hear that Rhy is a Canadian.

Oh lol I got a real kick in the pants name suggestion:

How about calling it "CarbonLite"
See where i'm going with this ... CarbonRite or CarbonSpite lol toomuchphun

Hahaha

Last edited by yodawhip : 09-12-12 at 08:04 AM.
09-12-12, 08:44 AM   #59
hatori1181
A Murloc Raider
I had a thought. I have no programming skill so I have NO clue if this is even possible...

One of my favorite add-ons is Titan panel. Could it be possible to make a google map add-on that has modules? It would let people that can make modules that they want, and cam make the entire add-on an a-la-carte mod. Want a quest tracker? add the module. mining nodes? Archaeology sites? ect, ect.

It would allow people to make modules for the map on their own, and save one person, or even one group of people from doing all of the work. give us a google map framework, and show us how to make modules for it, and let those people talented enough to make modules go nuts.
09-12-12, 08:52 AM   #60
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Impossible: WoW's Lua is sandboxed, meaning there is no access to the filesystem or third-party programs. I'm also quite sure nobody wants to download and install an SQL server to run an AddOn.
I have SQL Server installed on my computer <.<

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rythal!! Read this...