04-19-08, 02:21 AM   #1
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Backing up WoW

Hey guys,

I'm reformatting my computer and would like to know what I should back up on a dvd data disk so that the re installation process of wow is as fast as possible. All those patches etc. can take quite a lengthy amount of time to install eh.
04-19-08, 02:41 AM   #2
Polarina
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Qynova View Post
Hey guys,

I'm reformatting my computer and would like to know what I should back up on a dvd data disk so that the re installation process of wow is as fast as possible. All those patches etc. can take quite a lengthy amount of time to install eh.
Back-up the patches, that's about everything you need.
04-19-08, 02:43 AM   #3
Zootfizzle
Zooty Zoot Zoot!

Premium Member
You can actually just copy your entire World of Warcraft directory to a DVD and back once you've reformatted, and it will work fine.
04-19-08, 06:11 AM   #4
0Blackmage0
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I just bought Vista (shhhh no shunning... i wanted DX10, which is AWSOME ) but yea, i installed ALL of WoW in about 35 mins (Norm and BC) then I downloaded the patch (straight to 2.4) but to save time you could always just download it while you are installing ( http://www.fileplanet.com/182361/dow...rsal---English) ) you could be completly done everything within 50 mins

DONT FORGET.. copy your WTF and INTERFACE folders to a disk or a USB drive

04-19-08, 01:47 PM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Zootfizzle View Post
You can actually just copy your entire World of Warcraft directory to a DVD and back once you've reformatted, and it will work fine.
Zoot's method is one I use.

Copying to a DVD works nicely however if you have a second HD or an external HD (preferably Firewire or eSATA) you can backup to that location. This works nicely and is my back up media of choice. The advantage of copying your entire WoW directory is once you "install" WoW (aka copy your backup onto your shiny new HD) is all your UI settings and saved data are ready to go.

If you go this route you may want to clean out your Screenshots folder and purge any AddOns you do not use. I usually also purge any downloaded patches since they have been installed.

Now it's time to refresh my back up.
04-24-08, 06:44 AM   #6
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Thanks, Worked well

However, unfortunately post reformat, WoW is now flickering excessively ....screen tearing may be the correct term(?). WoW didn't do this before I reformatted and reinstalled everything. (As advised, I backed up WoW on disks, and simply copy-pasted WoW from the disks back into my Program files folder). I also copied my Interface and WTF folders over from my WoW folder pre-format as well, so the in-game video settings are all the same as they were beforehand.

Any suggestions?
04-24-08, 08:14 AM   #7
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Sounds like your refresh was reset, check this out first before trying other advices
04-24-08, 09:08 AM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Qynova View Post
Thanks, Worked well

However, unfortunately post reformat, WoW is now flickering excessively ....screen tearing may be the correct term(?). WoW didn't do this before I reformatted and reinstalled everything. (As advised, I backed up WoW on disks, and simply copy-pasted WoW from the disks back into my Program files folder). I also copied my Interface and WTF folders over from my WoW folder pre-format as well, so the in-game video settings are all the same as they were beforehand.

Any suggestions?
Did you install your video drivers? That happened to me once and it was because of that.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
04-24-08, 10:28 AM   #9
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Did you install your video drivers? That happened to me once and it was because of that.
That and all your other drivers and updates and patches...

04-24-08, 10:31 AM   #10
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

I have downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card, yea.
04-24-08, 10:35 AM   #11
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Be sure your video card drivers get installed, and not some generic Windows drivers (which it will try to do unless you tell it otherwise). Make sure you have latest sound drivers, and anything else relevant (BusMaster, SATA, RAID, etc.) drivers. Got everything from Windows Update? If that fails or you're not sure I'd reinstall the GPU drivers, then go from there.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Backing up WoW