12-31-10, 12:40 PM   #1
a2xvillian
A Defias Bandit

getting started with your own work

Hello all, this may be a dumb question but what the hell. I used to do some small time coding and programming as a hobby and i love the UI customization aspect of WoW. Well oUF is the only thing out there that lets you basically do anything. I would really like to give a go at putting something together of my own. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start to make my own layout? Id like to do something basic to start out with, maybe just some custom player frames or something. If there is a beginner's faq or guide out there that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well. I appreciate all of your time.
12-31-10, 01:12 PM   #2
ShiftE
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by a2xvillian View Post
Hello all, this may be a dumb question but what the hell. I used to do some small time coding and programming as a hobby and i love the UI customization aspect of WoW. Well oUF is the only thing out there that lets you basically do anything. I would really like to give a go at putting something together of my own. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start to make my own layout? Id like to do something basic to start out with, maybe just some custom player frames or something. If there is a beginner's faq or guide out there that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well. I appreciate all of your time.
I second this post! I have some programing background but trying to compile my own UI has me at a loss where to start, how to learn, what addons to "clone" (with permission of course)

Any help? Ive tried reading the wiki's and just feel overwhelmed.
12-31-10, 01:47 PM   #3
a2xvillian
A Defias Bandit

Im basically looking at where to get started with oUF. Id like to compile my own unit frame layout using it.
12-31-10, 01:58 PM   #4
ShiftE
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Im basically looking at where to get started with oUF. Id like to compile my own unit frame layout using it.
Same, just also interested in a little more too.
12-31-10, 03:10 PM   #5
yj589794
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Haste, the author of oUF, provides 2 basic layouts that can be used as a base for your own layouts. I'd suggest looking through the code and getting a general understanding of how the API works:

oUF_Classic : http://www.wowinterface.com/download...F_Classic.html
oUF_Lily : http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-oUF_Lily.html
12-31-10, 03:44 PM   #6
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
oUF_Lily has been getting some extra love over at github[1] lately. I still have some clean-up commits stashed away as well.

zork also posted a tutorial[2] for creating layouts with oUF 1.4, which mostly still apply. The main change between 1.4. and 1.5 is how header-based frames are spawned, and setting of sizes.

You also shouldn't really be afraid of asking. There's several people here willing to help, and they generally give a better answer than me as well.

Oh, and reading the source for the elements is generally pretty helpful as well. I generally value readability over optimizations, which makes most of the elements pretty straight forward to read. The aura and tags elements are probably the only ones which can be difficult to follow.

[1] https://github.com/haste/oUF_Lily
[2] http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33566
12-31-10, 06:59 PM   #7
Sniffles
A Black Drake

I started with oUF_p3lim! In my opinion was easier to understand then ..._lily
12-31-10, 07:47 PM   #8
a2xvillian
A Defias Bandit

Wow, I really appreciate you dropping by yourself and giving a word of suggestion Haste, that really means a lot. I have taken the time to look at the two links you provided, hopefully with some time ill be able to make some more sense of them and get started with my own project. I must say, I am impressed with the helpful easy going attitude here. You don't find a community so readily available to help a newcomer very often.

Last edited by a2xvillian : 12-31-10 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar
01-01-11, 02:48 AM   #9
yj589794
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
You will find the community here to be very helpful as long as you provide sufficient details about what you are trying to do.
For example, if you find a problem and want some help solving the issue then make sure you provide as much detail as possible (e.g. screen shots, code sample, version information).
01-10-11, 01:57 AM   #10
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

Basically what they've said, plus downloading several layouts to see how different people do things.

Also it helps if you take a look at the WoWAPI, lot's of stuff oUF 'does' follows the same logic of the API or you might need something you can't do with oUF and there is when you use the API.

Get an always updated repository here: https://github.com/tekkub/wow-ui-source
01-10-11, 03:22 PM   #11
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Wow, I really appreciate you dropping by yourself and giving a word of suggestion Haste, that really means a lot. I have taken the time to look at the two links you provided, hopefully with some time ill be able to make some more sense of them and get started with my own project. I must say, I am impressed with the helpful easy going attitude here. You don't find a community so readily available to help a newcomer very often.
This is one thing I love about oUF: First level user support by the creator... Haste does a magnificient job here, yj589794 provides useful information at any time and the oUF-community is always helping.

For your interest: Starting with a complete oUF-layout can help you with many of the "first time problems".
Furthermore, if you're able to read and understand Lua-code, you can look at oUF's source aswell. I could sort out some bugs / implement features by reading the elements code to get the information, what I have to add to my layout.

I haven't looked into oUF_lily or _simple in the last month, but there are several layouts with some comments in them aswell, this can always be of some help aswell.
01-11-11, 08:10 AM   #12
Dozi
I am just starting my own layout from my personal experience the layouts which helped me the most were oUF_barebones and oUF_simple.

The forums and the ouf wiki on github have been a great help, but now I understand LUA a bit more other layouts are making a lot more sense.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » getting started with your own work