10-15-10, 11:23 AM   #1
aera
A Murloc Raider

Open Source

Given the popularity of the addon and the obvious current refocus of the carbonite developers, maybe they could consider releasing the source code to the community in an non-obfuscated form.

10-15-10, 12:24 PM   #2
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
This has been duscussed in the past, just close the thread.

10-15-10, 01:24 PM   #3
aera
A Murloc Raider

What's with all the hyper aggressive people on this site? No need to go off on me like that. I've donated multiple times for this addon and this is the supporter's forum. Given the current rate of change of the addon, I don't see what's wrong with asking again after having made another donation. None of the previous discussions appear in my list of recent topics.

10-15-10, 02:10 PM   #4
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The point is that the Carbonite developers have done their duediligence and have put plenty of work into this product. When they decide they will no longer support the product, I am certain they will think about the possibility of leaving this product to open source for the rest of the mod writers out there.

For now, it's their pet project and I'm sure they don't care to have a few different people adding things here or there that they would also ultimately get the question. The other issue is, if they released the code and people started looking into it and all, I'm sure they would be inundated with requests on figuring out certain parts etc. and therefore spend quite a bit of time answering.

Also, there is a search feature on the forums, though I haven't tried it for this specific topic -- it does work.

Suffice it to say, I think the devs will only think this through again when they decide they no longer wish to continue.

10-15-10, 04:30 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Temper, folks. Be nice.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

10-15-10, 10:42 PM   #6
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The current way we release the code will not be changed.

The day we decide to quit, we will think about it.

Later!

10-16-10, 02:49 AM   #7
Paprika
A Black Drake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU
http://opensourcetechnologies.blogsp...-software.html
http://eu.conecta.it/paper/Perceived...tages_ope.html
http://timjimnetworktech.wikidot.com...of-open-source

There are some cool Open-Source-projects, but the default user won't necessarily gain a benefit. Same goes for this addon. In which way would the developers and the users befenit from making this addon open-source while it has people who are maintaining his project? If someone wants to contribute, he may write to carboniteaddon, Haavok or whoever else is responsible for keeping this up-to-date and making progress. There is just no point for releasing it at the moment.

Carbonite has a foundation where it's build on. It's not some crazy Wii-hacking project where people need to figure out how things work. The developers of this addon know what they do.

Last edited by Paprika : 10-16-10 at 02:51 AM.

10-16-10, 09:24 AM   #8
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
Aera i wasn't being hyper-aggressive, and i didn't attack you in any way.
I stated a fact; this topic has been discussed in the past and should be closed until such a time that the developers decide to change the status of carbonite.

I'd like to to take the time to thank all the developers of Carbonite.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Open Source