08-06-14, 07:44 PM   #61
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Back to the idea of startup sites announcing their... startup...

IMO, there is a HUGE difference between...

PM to Cairenn:
Hi, we just opened a new addon hosting site, and we were wondering if we could let authors know about it on your forums? We have no intention of trying to steal authors from your site, only wish to get the word out that we exist. The text we wish to display in our post is:

"Hi, I'm from New Addon Site. We've opened our doors, so please come check us out at www.newaddonsite.com!"
...and...

Straight to forums:
Hi, I'm from New Addon Site! We've opened our doors for you guys to come host your addons at our site: www.newaddonsite.com

We have these features that you'll love:
  • feature 1
  • feature 2
  • feature 3 - is better than Curse because...
  • feature 4 is better than wowi because...
  • feature 5 is coming soon and is something we know you're missing on both Curse and WoWI...
  • We're better than them so you guys come host with us
  • we'll give you phat lootz!
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-06-14, 07:51 PM   #62
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You got me with phat lootz.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-06-14, 09:11 PM   #63
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
You got me with phat lootz.
I thought I would.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-02-14, 09:41 AM   #64
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by ronburgundyy View Post
As per the removal of the Author name, that was a poor design decision, and was not meant in any way to suggest that Solidice authored or laid claim to any addon in which the author name was omitted. One of several unfortunate mistakes during this endeavor.
You realize it's still a fucken dick move to list someones addon without the author's name.
09-02-14, 10:59 AM   #65
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
You realize it's still a fucken dick move to list someones addon without the author's name.
Hehe, depends on the license
By accident they followed my PIY-License to the point skipping my name :P

The following license excludes the libraries (Libs) included. See the libraries directory or website.

This AddOn is public domain. That means you can change it, rename it or paint it yellow.
My name (Rilgamon) is valid only for WoWInterface.com and curse.com.
If you use/offer this addon on another website please remove my name.
If you want to give me credit you can replace it with a link to my profile on WoWInterface.com.
And looking at the file name I'm sure they leeched it from curse.com through recent-list
09-02-14, 05:53 PM   #66
Phanx
Cat.

Either these people are full of sh*t or they're just incompetent, as a number of my addons have reappeared on their site. I sent a formal complaint to their web host this time in addition to posting on their forum again.
09-02-14, 06:36 PM   #67
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
There is the distinct possibility they could be both.
09-02-14, 07:43 PM   #68
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
All the addons (except for tiny's) *still* have "Unknown" listed as their authors... /sigh

09-02-14, 07:57 PM   #69
Phanx
Cat.

Well, seeing as how they still don't have the ability for addon authors to do anything on the site, I can't say I'm surprised.
09-02-14, 08:09 PM   #70
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I thought I would.
I like big loot and I cannot lie... (that's it for my rap career).
09-02-14, 08:32 PM   #71
ronburgundyy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

The latest, and obv still flawed version of what is being used to acquire such things does its best to acquire the authors name, and respect licenses (obv this part needs some work).

All the addons (except for tiny's) *still* have "Unknown" listed as their authors... /sigh
You'll notice that some addons do list the full spectrum of contributors to the addon.

Well, seeing as how they still don't have the ability for addon authors to do anything on the site, I can't say I'm surprised.
I hope to have all addons appropriately labeled with their respective authors ASAP followed by the ability for authors to manage their addons, the only reason this isn't done yet is I simply need more hours in the day.

Either these people are full of sh*t or they're just incompetent
Ide like to make a argument against being incompetent, but I think that would be pointless. I can however ensure you that we do care, especially myself, and unfortunately there have been more oversights while burning the midnight oil.

p.s. I know none of this is any of your problems, but as I said before, trying to be transparent.

*braces for impact*

Last edited by ronburgundyy : 09-02-14 at 08:49 PM.
09-02-14, 08:48 PM   #72
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
there have been more oversights while burning bridges.
Fixed it for you.

If you truly want to be legit, you need to pull every single addon that does not have a license that permits you to redistribute without prior approval down off your site. Then you make it so that authors can upload to your site if they so wish. Anything else is still completely unethical, not to mention actually illegal.

Last edited by Cairenn : 09-02-14 at 08:55 PM.
09-02-14, 09:03 PM   #73
ronburgundyy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

you need to pull every single addon that does not have a license that permits you to redistribute without prior approval down off your site.
Every addon which is accessible should be in complete compliance with their licenses. Obviously there was the incident earlier, but at this time they should all comply, and we are double and triple checking to prevent further incidents.
09-02-14, 09:38 PM   #74
Phanx
Cat.

Even rehosting GPL addons if the authors don't want them there seems like a pretty big faux pas if you want to be a legitimate part of the addon community. Rather than putting your obviously extremely limited time toward improving your Curse scraping bot, why not spend that time building features that people actually want? Enabling addon authors to directly manage their addons on your site, even if all they can do is edit the description and upload a file, seems like it should be your #1 priority.

Scraping and rehosting without permission -- even if the license technically allows it -- seems like a bad strategy for long-term success. It gives the impression that you don't care about working with addon authors, and that all you do care about is pulling more visitors to your site by any means possible to increase ad impressions. Even if that's not the case, that's how it looks, and the longer you keep it up, the less chance you have of ever redeeming your site in the addon community.

Frankly I'd say at this point you're already doomed to failure -- even if you suddenly had a full suite of tools for addon authors tomorrow, after the way you've handled your first steps, I doubt many addon authors would even bother giving you a chance -- but if you really want to proceed with building a legitimate addon site, you are Doing It Wrong.
09-02-14, 10:01 PM   #75
ronburgundyy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

if the authors don't want them
If the authors don't want them there we will remove them. Torhal had expressed while his license allowed for hosting, he did not want it hosted, and we promptly removed it.

Either way, your post is very constructive and i appreciate you continuing to be constructive in our correspondence. All along I've been working towards supporting manual addon management by authors, now is no different, and I hope to have something for everyone very soon.
09-02-14, 10:40 PM   #76
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
I agree, now is no different. Nearly 3 months and not one useful author targeted feature has been added.

It kind of shows where your priorities reguarding authors are placed, in the room marked WC.

I've never heard of a productive partnership starting off with one partner firmly planting their middle didgit in the others nose and then refusing to remove it. Then again, maybe you're hoping for a world first, good luck.

If the authors don't want them there we will remove them.
This tired old excuse again? Have you notified all the authors that you have kidnapped their addons and are holding them ransom for the price of one email (I hope it would only be one) requesting you hand back their hard work? I doubt it because,

Notifications of the authors is a action item in which we have yet to address, but notification on curse is certainly something we can do, preferably once the authors are able to gain control of their addon, as I am sure that is what many will wish to do upon notification.
So the longer you hold off doing something the longer you believe you don't have to let them know.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 09-02-14 at 11:51 PM.
09-03-14, 12:13 AM   #77
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I dislike the opt-out approach to these things. It create a lot of work for me to constantly go around on different sites and ask them to take down my things. I think a better approach is opt-in where authors get a mail with a list of addons someone else wishes to host on their site, with some options and such.
09-03-14, 01:33 AM   #78
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I think a better approach is opt-in where authors get a mail with a list of addons someone else wishes to host on their site, with some options and such.
Yep. If your bot can scrape addons and all their metadata from Curse, it could send a PM to the author on Curse with little additional work. This could get your account banned as a spammer on the site, but there's probably less of a risk with this type of PM than if you were sending out generic "hey everyone check out our site" messages.

You're also hosting less than 200 addons, with probably less than 50 authors represented. It wouldn't take you that long to go through the addons by hand and look for contact information. All my addons, for example, list my email address in their TOC and README files.

Finally, the fact that you're still not even showing addon author names really gives a bad impression. Curse displays this information in the same standardized format it displays all the other metadata you're apparently having no difficulty in scraping, so what's the problem with author names?
09-03-14, 02:55 AM   #79
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Hehe, depends on the license
By accident they followed my PIY-License to the point skipping my name :P
Yeah you're right, but some licesnse strictly forbid to rehost the program without publishing the author's name too.
09-03-14, 02:58 AM   #80
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
The latest, and obv still flawed version of what is being used to acquire such things does its best to acquire the authors name, and respect licenses (obv this part needs some work).
I mean how hard would it be to manually edit author names for thoose less then 100 addons, and disable the failed sync for it.

If the authors don't want them there we will remove them. Torhal had expressed while his license allowed for hosting, he did not want it hosted, and we promptly removed it.
I also would like to remove Gladius and Gladius v3 then.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Solidice - another site hosting addons without permission