11-25-09, 03:29 PM   #41
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

lookin good mang
12-08-09, 12:29 AM   #42
wowfabin
A Defias Bandit
Just curious, how did you manage to put the health bars at an angle? I've been searching around and haven't been able to find anything about it.
12-08-09, 05:19 AM   #43
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by wowfabin View Post
Just curious, how did you manage to put the health bars at an angle? I've been searching around and haven't been able to find anything about it.
Its an illusion. It is just the textures that is slanted, not the actual unit frame.
12-08-09, 03:05 PM   #44
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Looks great!
12-08-09, 03:07 PM   #45
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
Its an illusion. It is just the textures that is slanted, not the actual unit frame.
So basicly you could be clicking next to the unit frame and still target that unit?
12-08-09, 03:49 PM   #46
kneeki
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
So basicly you could be clicking next to the unit frame and still target that unit?
Yup. I don't think there is any way around that.
12-09-09, 09:22 AM   #47
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AFAIK, a frame is always square, no matter if it contains a round or whatever "non square shaped" texture. It's not a problem, however.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

12-09-09, 03:32 PM   #48
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
AFAIK, a frame is always square, no matter if it contains a round or whatever "non square shaped" texture. It's not a problem, however.
exactly :P My unit frames on novel ui are different looking but the reality its just a big square
12-17-09, 10:06 PM   #49
wowfabin
A Defias Bandit
Ah, thank you for clearing that up

As for the compass, perhaps the HUD feature from Sexymap could be used to get the borderlands look? If you don't already know of a way.
12-19-09, 01:24 PM   #50
Chromethous
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm not a mod author (yet) but I spend 30 minutes most days scouring the addons for new niftiness. so for I have a few ideas.

The font in borderlands I believe is Bazooka, I'll check to make sure in sec.

Also for the compass, there is/was a flight hud mod that had placed a green compass hud over your view, it was huge at default but could be scaled. So I know it was possible, Maybe TomTom can be configured to be a compass rather than a huge green arrow...
*EDIT* yup its over on Curse- FlightHUD green compass with degrees and all that..

You know what would be nifty is a skin for the Talented mod that replicates borderlands skill interface. And I know you can emulate the backpack manager with some of the bag mods out there... hmm now I have a task.

I suppose if I'm gonna reskin the bag interface I should do the same for vendors and quest interface.

As for the minimap I think if you just retooled the Loc bar, made the map a paralellagram and changed the alpha that would fit the borderlands style.

I wonder if there is a way to reskin the buttons on the chat bar, prolly. And for combat damage you can use Mik's scrolling battle text. there may be a way to have the damage pop from the target thats taking it.

After all the UI elements I think to make it complete you would need some sound effects.

I love borderlands and to have a UI for wow that emulates it would be nice.

oh, thats awesome. The title song just started playing...
There ain't no rest for the Wicked...

Last edited by Chromethous : 12-19-09 at 01:30 PM.
12-21-09, 06:22 PM   #51
Chromethous
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i hate to double post.. but What unit frame did you use Sylvir? I tried to change the frames in StUF and have yet to come close to that. Maybe I should go learn some Lua.
I have Skinner addon installed and am trying to get the rest of the UI to emulate the borderlands menus, Its sorta close. The colors are not quite there, the textures are off a bit and the frames don't quite look the way I would like. If anyone can give me a good place to reference UI elements Lua and texture editing that would be awesome.
12-22-09, 03:53 AM   #52
Taroven
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Chromethous View Post
i hate to double post.. but What unit frame did you use Sylvir? I tried to change the frames in StUF and have yet to come close to that. Maybe I should go learn some Lua.
I would assume oUF. Pretty easy to learn if you take a look at some of the more simple layouts (my layout doesn't count for simplicity, but p3lim and haste both have excellent bases to work from in oUF_p3lim and oUF_Lily respectively).

I could probably lend some assistance Lua-wise for anything y'all need for this project. Toss me a PM, I don't check the forums often.
05-08-10, 05:08 PM   #53
Drespar23
A Kobold Labourer
I really hope this thread isn't dead!!! This is such an amazing idea, I'd love to see this done!

I have some idea's on some aspects of this, as well as maybe some information that might be useful.

Font is Impact with a bit of shading behind it. Also maybe for the shield above the health in the game could be used to show if you have Power word: Shield up, Anti-Magic Shell, Ice Barrier etc. where it slowly depletes as the timer goes down. The ammo bar would be used for mana, rage etc. and the bar above it could be used as a cast bar possibly?

For party frames keep the setup already used (mana blue, health red obviously). Maybe thicken them a bit for healers who use the Clique add-on.

Now it will probably be WAY to difficult to make the bearing module and at Level Cap (with cat coming out you could add it below) the xp bar being almost useless, make it the targets frame. I know it kind of takes away from the borderlands feeling but i think its a worthy compromise.

As for the mini-map I don't know if there's anyways to give it that kind of feeling (where the unreachable areas are blue) but there may be some kind of converting you can do where you may be able to go through the map and shade it yourself (I know VERY time consuming).

I really hope these are fresh ideas, and that this project is still going on!
Good Luck!!!
-Drespar
05-08-10, 07:13 PM   #54
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Hey, nice start on the status bars! Really, good work and a very nice idea in the first place , I will be watching this thread.

Borderland's UI is pretty awesome, but I am worried about how well it can translate into the context of an MMORPG. The minimap issue would, of course, need to be fixed and I'd say just use a standard minimap, skinned to match the Borderlands theme and placed in a convenient part of the screen (i.e. top-right, I don't think Borderland uses this part of the screen for anything). There would also have to be many more features added, because an MMORPG's UI must give a lot more information - and much more precisely - than that of a game such as Borderlands.

However, luckily for you, Borderlands is very much influenced by RPGs like Diablo, so the foundations are pretty much there.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
08-23-10, 10:50 AM   #55
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Was playing Borderlands and remembered someone was making this and then boredom struck...

Too bad both were at full health/mana
IMMA CHARGING MA LAZOR?!

Edit2: 2nd image just for the "funnies".
Edit3: 3rd image for lack of seriousness.
Edit4: 4th image is "srs bsns".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	4719  Click image for larger version

Name:	funnies.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	4720  Click image for larger version

Name:	party-or-something.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	4721  Click image for larger version

Name:	rawr.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	4723  

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 08-24-10 at 03:38 AM.
08-23-10, 12:00 PM   #56
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Looks fantastic!
08-29-10, 06:49 PM   #57
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Ignore the red and blue. Just colored the two slices to see that they handled properly

Name:	WoWScrnShot_083010_023624_03.gif
Views:	355
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	4760 <-- click for larger

Edit1: Simple small map test.

Name:	maptest.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	4761

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 08-29-10 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Adding more screens
08-29-10, 07:05 PM   #58
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
this was posted in the screenshot of your UI thread figured id bring it to the party.
08-30-10, 08:15 PM   #59
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Experience bar now doubles as Rep bar whenever I track one

Name:	exp-rep.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	4774

Screen of nameplates below

Name:	nameplates.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	4773

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 08-30-10 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I ~= You
10-25-10, 07:55 PM   #60
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
You probably thought this was dead by now. Well I don't blame ya. I don't have much spare time at the moment.

I was thinking of making some buff icons/bars examples but I think the way Borderlands show active buffs is just plain boring but it's understandable, they only last for roughly 12 seconds max. They just show up, blink or glow (can't remember which) when they're about to wear off and then disappear.. Hell, that's no fun!

So I was looking at the next best thing. Skill cooldowns. The skill cooldown in Borderlands works this way. When you can use the skill it's fully visible. When it's on cooldown the complete icon goes transparent while it fills up from the bottom to the top with a darker color until it becomes usable and turns white again.

This is what I was tinkering with (yes this is a screenshot but it actually does work ingame
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buffs.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	5095  Click image for larger version

Name:	atm.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	5113  

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 10-26-10 at 03:34 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Borderlands Themed User Interface